Newest Members
JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS
12466 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
BobbyJay (53), john50049 (57), Samii (34)
Who's Online
5 registered (CafeMan, tbkkfile, Sonata1, 2 invisible), 22 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12466 Members
74 Forums
64015 Topics
446755 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#439154 - 06/25/13 04:52 AM Visting Parents - Advice?- Triggers
DRA Offline

So this is hard; I've been trying to write about it for several days. I fly home on Friday and I'm terrified.

For my entire life, my parents have been very supportive and have been very diligent in every respect except protecting me from my perpetrator. I don't hold that failure against them; my abuser was a male only a few years older than I. But there are two things for which I am extremely mad at my father.

My father is prone to asking questions. (I am too.) The day I told my parents about my CSA, my father told me that I'd mentioned something about what was going on in a very off-hand, dismissive, and minimizing way. He, assuming it was a one time thing, told me that it was normal. This makes me mad if only because this was the one time he didn't ask more questions. (I have problems with understanding privacy, which I attribute mostly to the CSA. However, my father's behavior reinforced those problems.) Yet, he made a reasonable mistake - CSA was not on the public radar, people didn't know to ask about it. I am enraged because, in the same conversation, my father told me he was relieved.

My father was relieved that I had not abused someone.

When I was younger, I'd acted out. No, I've never abused anyone. But I had an obsession with sex from a far too early age. I only seemed to make friends with women whom I pursued sexually. The details really aren't important, but suffice it to say, outside of that one conversation, I blame my parents to some extent for not connecting all the dots. (I can't tell if I blame them so much I my psyche won't let my conscious mind confront the pain or if I just don't blame them because I had so many other things going on.)

Even as I write this, I find that I make excuses for them, especially for my father. (Is it my father, really? Or do I shift all the blame to him to avoid becoming angry at my mother?)

The fact of the matter is I am flying home on Friday and the last thing I want to do is see my father. Hell, I'm apprehensive about seeing my mother. I digress.

I am enraged at my father. And I pity him. He believed that his son was a sexual predator - that I was a sexual predator - while the truth is I am a victim.

He spent years of my childhood living vicariously through me and has expressed great pride at ceasing to live that way. Yet his behavior for the rest of my life has demonstrated an inability to stop his vicarious process. As a result, I feel burdened for his emotional wellbeing and bound to him in an unhealthy way. We used to talk several times a week to several times a day. Now, I speak with him barely once or twice a month. It's nearly 5AM. I'm too tired to pretend that I am simply mad at my father. I am enraged at him and I pity him. He wanted me to be his best friend and it cost me my father.

I'm going to see both of my parents in three days time. How do I have a relationship with either of them? How do I even walk through the door of their house, the house in which I was abused? (Yes, my abuse took place in my bedroom in their house, without their knowledge.)
Strength in power is a false victory rooted in vapid grandiosity. Strength in character and integrity is the freedom to act righteously irrespective of the surrounding pressure. True power is the presence of mind to live with character and integrity.

#439155 - 06/25/13 05:26 AM Re: Visting Parents - Advice?- Triggers [Re: DRA]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: South-East Europe
Oh man those are difficult questions. I wish if I have some answer for you frown
I'm sometimes terrible irritated by some family members and occasional inability to connect and communicate on equal terms with them can really hurt me.
When I was angry and wanting to change somethings unfortunately I didn't have any success. my only solution is to exclude myself from such environment and to move as far as possible.
When I wanted to talk with my father about childhood, how I've been missing him and that I've been grown hungry of his love somehow distance between us was so huge that I felt defeated, unable to talk and express my emotions so I decided to left it.
That Christmas I broke with girlfriend with whom I tried to have something but couldn't open at all and felt more isolated than when I was alone; such relationship didn't have any chance it doesn't matter who was inadequate or whatever. So when I meet my father first thing that he asked me was about break up. I was angry on him at that moment as there are zillion questions that we never discussed and he needed to stick to that one. I just stood there looked in his eyes and wondered is there anything else beside his wish to see me married. He is continuously repeating his wish to have grand children and by so just pointing on distance measured in Parsecs between us and that hurts me like hell.
I wish people around us are more sensitive and connected to themselves, but that is not reality unfortunately.
And no matter how hardly we could try we can't do anything to awake someone.

So please just be yourself and show your full integrity. If there would be chance for honest talk and disclosing things that bothered you about your father for so long that would be great if not please save your energy and keep your inner peace intact.

Be well!

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.