Newest Members
jmr2191, autumn, tammy m, TheConqueror, Bloom
12425 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dphoenix1701 (37), jaywiz2009 (69), mato (57)
Who's Online
5 registered (jmr2191, 4 invisible), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12425 Members
74 Forums
63808 Topics
445554 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#438943 - 06/23/13 12:26 AM The Phantom Tollbooth
SoccerStar Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Llg5VODW6n4

This was one of my favorite movies as a kid. Loved the book, too, but found it meandered a bit much and got too deep into the puns / allegories. The movie hit all the important points, quickly.

More importantly.... the whole character of Milo is just very arresting, especially when viewed as a survivor.

Milo is gloomy, withdrawn, and pessimistic, isolated from other kids and with no sign of any family (Wikipedia matter-of-factly notes that this 14-year-old boy lives completely alone). He sees nothing worthwhile in the world and just trudges through life, unsatisfied everywhere. We're given no indication of what really caused this. His themesong wonders at it for us....

"What's to become of Milo?
What will he grow to be?
When he looks at life and he doesn't see
Doesn't see the bright blue sky
Doesn't hear the train go by
Doesn't see the song

Little fellow, what's wrong?

What's to become of Milo?
Lost in a vacant stare
Doesn't have a dream
Doesn't even care...."

After making his first real friends and going on a quest to restore "rhyme and reason" - making peoples' words make sense, putting an end to chaotic noise, and learning time and again that people aren't always what they say they are.... Milo returns to his life, with a newfound sense of value, gratitude and purpose.

"Milo, open your eyes
Look around you and see
See how wonderful life can be...."

It just makes me feel good to watch it, the animation is beautiful and most of the songs are good for your mood as well.

Matt

"Don't think it hasn't been a little slice of heaven just because it hasn't!" --Bugs Bunny

#438977 - 06/23/13 12:39 PM Re: The Phantom Tollbooth [Re: SoccerStar]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The ATL

Hi Matt. Loved this movie! Haven't seen it since I was a kid and I'd mostly forgotten about it. Interesting theories about Milo's isolation and loneliness. It does make one wonder what the author of the story meant to convey through the character. By the way, the Wikipedia article you reference said Milo was supposed to be 14? It seems like the kid in the film was much younger than that. Not really an important detail, just something that puzzled me for a second. Oh well. Peace,

Ken

#438978 - 06/23/13 01:47 PM Re: The Phantom Tollbooth [Re: SoccerStar]
SoccerStar Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
The movie doesn't say how old he is and I'm pretty sure the book doesn't either. The actor was 14 so I guess that's what I'm going off - but you're right, he acts considerably younger than that, surely on purpose. Which makes him having an entire apartment all to himself more unsettling...,

"Don't think it hasn't been a little slice of heaven just because it hasn't!" --Bugs Bunny

#438984 - 06/23/13 04:32 PM Re: The Phantom Tollbooth [Re: SoccerStar]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The ATL
Originally Posted By: SoccerStar
The movie doesn't say how old he is and I'm pretty sure the book doesn't either. The actor was 14 so I guess that's what I'm going off - but you're right, he acts considerably younger than that, surely on purpose. Which makes him having an entire apartment all to himself more unsettling...,

Ok, I see. I can't believe that actor was 14 when he made that movie. He looked like he was about 10. That's what threw me off.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.