Newest Members
beatcook, MassGuy, wiresguy1, AustinChemist, wild_turky
12276 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
4113 (60), Andre M, (36), catchup22 (62), jim OCA 7 (57), sidhearthur (55), SkyClad (65)
Who's Online
3 registered (Bluedogone, 2 invisible), 78 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12276 Members
73 Forums
63168 Topics
441717 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#438860 - 06/21/13 09:39 PM Success with Authority Figure
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
A little success story to share. Considering, however, it's my insides, it's a large success story.

Among the hats I wear I'm a freelance photojournalist (minor income), much of it aviation-related. Post-9/11 I've encountered my share of burly, uniformed cops on power trips. And I've sometimes been threatened with detention for taking pictures in the "wrong" location 1st Amendment notwithstanding - even as my guts were doing somersaults. (Court challenges to this abuse of authority are typically successful, but I haven't wanted to be a case).

Obviously, I've long had authority issues...abusive parental figures, my high school guidance counselor perp who used his authority to intimidate me and take advantage.

I got word of a private plane crash nearby, neither injuries nor fatalities, grabbed the press ID and hit the road. Police usually establish a perimeter with tape and the press is supposed to respect that. I parked on an adjacent street, followed a news truck's cabling through a back yard and jumped the fence outside a taped area. I'd inadvertently found myself between inside and outside perimeters and had no clue. I asked the officer if they had a tail number for the aircraft.

He was none too happy with me. Asked if I'd jumped the fence. Yes. He invoked the word "trespassing". Did I see the tape a block away. No. Have you got your shots. Yes. Etc., etc. I should have been shaking and breaking into a cold sweat. It ended with a thank you and I went on my way.

My victory is that I didn't have the somersaults in my gut. I didn't feel intimidated at all. And I got great shots.

#438867 - 06/21/13 11:16 PM Re: Success with Authority Figure [Re: Lancer]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The ATL

AWESOME! Way to go! Great pic! Oh, and fuck any of these little piggy petty tyrants! Take your pictures however and wherever you want to! The photographers who have gotten the most iconic shots in history for publications like National Geographic didn't get them by politely asking permission first. Not typically anyway. Love the shot. Glad no one was hurt. Peace,

Ken

#438878 - 06/22/13 10:18 AM Re: Success with Authority Figure [Re: Lancer]
mattheal Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
A great story and a great picture. Thank you for sharing your success with us.
that the worst is all behind you
And the waves that tossed the raft all night
have set you on dry land
- The Mountain Goats - "Never Quite Free"

#438881 - 06/22/13 10:42 AM Re: Success with Authority Figure [Re: Lancer]
Magellan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
Wow!

Reading that, I could just imagine the adventurous spirit you carry when you're taking pictures. And the courage it requires to be the best.

You should feel immensely proud of what you've accomplished with your life. Not just because of this awesome story you've inspired us with, but because of what you do. You're inspiring!

Loving Kindness Meditation will dramatically improve your spirits; give it a try for just 3 days: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz7cpV7ERsM

#438899 - 06/22/13 06:24 PM ! [Re: Lancer]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

!

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (02/28/14 07:56 PM)

#439055 - 06/24/13 01:31 AM Re: Success with Authority Figure [Re: Lancer]
Dave PNW Offline

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Way to go Lancer. Great photos and thanks for standing up to authority. It's what makes a democracy.

#439066 - 06/24/13 07:17 AM Re: Success with Authority Figure [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
Holy shit, guys. Never expected so many positive reactions. Thank you.

I was only able to digest my response well after the fact. What surprised me was that it felt completely natural, I was in the moment (not in my past)...and, well, that I didn't find myself in the back seat of a police car.

Not to minimize my own handling, but I think the cop, too, displayed some maturity and restraint.

#439079 - 06/24/13 11:19 AM Re: Success with Authority Figure [Re: Lancer]
Magellan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
I'm learning very very slowly that anything is possible when 2 people are completely in the moment without ego and without the past to control them

Loving Kindness Meditation will dramatically improve your spirits; give it a try for just 3 days: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz7cpV7ERsM

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.