Newest Members
BusterJones, Desperateforhelp, aniceguy, Green_Lantern, Safe11ride
12121 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
corvairman1 (43), marianne (44), son (35), speedy (31)
Who's Online
3 registered (On The Fringe, Candu, 1 invisible), 54 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12121 Members
73 Forums
62521 Topics
438141 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 12 of 25 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 24 25 >
Topic Options
#442417 - 07/28/13 12:28 PM Re: Exercise Motivation Team [Re: BraveFalcon]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The ATL

3.5 mile run today. Don't even ask me about the diet. Tonight I am going with my family to the restaurant I was telling you guys about where you can get a burger with grilled cheese sandwiches as the buns. (The Vortex). Ohhhhhh... I am going to enjoy it! Peace,

Ken

#442428 - 07/28/13 05:05 PM Re: Exercise Motivation Team [Re: king tut]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
The Vortex....I remember when it was on West Peachtree on the bottom floor of a hotel near the Arts Center. Good stuff!

We've had company all weekend, so I'm totally off my game. We've eaten all kinds of good(bad) stuff like gourmet cheeseburgers, BBQ chicken, a killer roast beef sandwich with melted provolone, carmelized onions and a spicy Dijon mayo. Breakfast has ranged from cereal and toast to a full plate of grits, bacon, pancakes, and eggs (all home-cooked).

Exercise...well, we walked all over downtown before taking everyone to the Braves-Cardinals game. No swimming, but we managed to get a 3 mile hike in up in the mountains.

Tonight is spicy marinara pasta with pan seared sea scallops and fresh Gulf shrimp (my specialty).

Tomorrow---back to work and back to the usual schedule and menu.

Will

Edited by Suwanee (07/28/13 05:08 PM)

My Story: Cruel Summer

#442437 - 07/28/13 06:57 PM Re: Exercise Motivation Team [Re: Suwanee]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Suwanee
we walked all over downtown before taking everyone to the Braves-Cardinals game.

How cool. We just finished our dinner at The Vortex in Little Five Points and we're headed into Turner Field right now for tonight's Braves-Cardinals game! GO BRAVES!

#442498 - 07/29/13 10:59 AM Re: Exercise Motivation Team [Re: king tut]
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

OK,

BraveFalcon invited me to join this thread so here I am.

On March 21, I weighed 260 lbs (and I am 6'4")... Today, I am under 230. I have been on an aggressive low-carb diet, walking several miles a few times a week, and have joined the local YMCA, where I have started doing yoga.

In fact, going to yoga right now for a noon class.

My target weight is 210, and I have started doing crunches to work on my midsection. If anyone has any tips for tightening belly fat, please let me know.

Cant

#442507 - 07/29/13 11:34 AM Re: Exercise Motivation Team [Re: cant_remember]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: cant_remember
If anyone has any tips for tightening belly fat, please let me know.

I have lost about 20 pounds, maybe a little more. I have gone from 218 to 197. I had reached the point I had to wear X-large shirts. Losing this weight has greatly improved my health: blood pressure is down nearly to normal range. Cholesterol and other blood-fat indices have gone to nearly normal. (without drugs) I feel better and look better. I still need to lose another 20 or 30 pounds. Pretty soon I will have to buy new clothes. smile My pants almost came down while walking the dog this morning frown .

I had a variety of helps. It took a lot of knowledge bytes (not food bites) to get there. I was in Weight Watchers for about 8 months. I watched Dr. Oz and learned a lot (although in some ways it was frustrating). I picked up a book or 2 on losing weight and cooking the correct foods.

I had to correct my attitudes toward food. I was starved of food for a brief period as a boy and it tended to make me always want to make sure I had more than enough food on hand, even so that I never experience hunger. My mother always gave me small portions of food. I had to figure out which food items I was keeping that were tipping my weight toward heavy. I stopped buying lots of items and even threw some items away. I had to get over my addiction to cakes and cookies and candy and high-carbohydrate foods. I had to shift my diet toward much more fruit and vegetables. I had to try to make sure I had fruit on hand for when I got hungry. At night before bed I had to eat fruit. I started eating much more squash and sweet potatoes.

I had been feeding my dog a daily portion of hamburger purchased in bulk from one of the large warehouse stores. It made my dog sick! He became overweight and the vet said he had "fatty tumors". I changed his diet to 1/2 fish per day plus commercial dog food all he wants. What this taught me was that hamburger was also bad for my body. Now I try to eat fish or chicken.

There are 1000+ little bytes of information out there as to how to eat and what and what not. Mostly I had to learn this in little bytes. Some of it was in Weight Watchers and some of it was in Dr. Oz. In the Dr. Oz show last week they talked about how our body reacts to sugar. I was definitely in the class of persons needing to hear that. Please try to hear this: Sugar makes me sick. It promotes body fat and changes in certain hormones which actually make me MORE hungry. I become more healthy as I eat LESS sugar, especially high fructose corn syrup. Yes, sugar seems to be addictive to some people.

Dr. Oz had the guest Dr. Hyman who explained how this works. Dr. Hyman has several books on this. The latest one seems to be the best:

The Blood Sugar Solution: The UltraHealthy Program for Losing Weight, Preventing Disease, and Feeling Great Now!

I KNOW that controlling sugar in my diet is the most important single factor in losing weight and feeling better.

Puffer (or now, DE-Puffer)

Edited by pufferfish (07/29/13 03:37 PM)

#442561 - 07/29/13 08:12 PM Re: Exercise Motivation Team [Re: king tut]
txb Offline

Tut, glad you had a great time, and that the kids had a great time too. Have you managed to get up early since you got back? It seems like when youíre doing something where youíre outside all day and away from normal life itís so much easier to get up early. I have gone back to my normal wake up times since I got back. But I'm working on it.

Cant and Puffer, well done on your weight loss. Sounds like youíre both doing great. Cant, Iíve always heard that a low carb diet is best for burning fat so it sounds like youíre doing all the right things.

I am doing ok-ish. Iím on day two of my program. Itís just a 3 times a week thing. Seems weird that you can get results from working out that little. You start with an empty bar, which is kinda strange, but the bar does weigh 20kg. Youíre supposed to add 5lb each time, which is going to confuse me because my weights are only in kgs. Today I decided to be fancy and make crepes. Discovered that I canít make crepes... The recipe said it made 10, which was good because I finally made something edible by the 8th one. And I was overly ambitious by making a mushroom filling. Canít really do two things at once. So I finally got breakfast at 11:45am. Then for lunch I decided to make a quinoa salad, and make enough for the rest of the week. But it was gross. Apparently youíre supposed to rinse quinoa and lentils before you cook them. Ok, so at least I know that now. For dinner I had a spaghetti and broccoli thing. I suppose my diet has sucked today really. Iíll do better tomorrow.

#442564 - 07/29/13 08:29 PM Re: Exercise Motivation Team [Re: king tut]
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

Made it to yoga today and did some crunches.

My landlord told me he could tell I was "tightening up" and the other night the lady bartender at one of my neighborhood bars told me that I had "lost a ton of weight."

Yoga has been opening up these body memories that make me feel really vulnerable and open. I feel like I want to feel when I act out with an older man: I want to feel him controlling my body. But with yoga, I am getting body triggers, but it is *ME* controlling my body.

There's this position called pigeon, which is basically 1) you are kneeling on one knee, then 2) you fold your up knee onto the ground, then 3) lean forward over your front knee, eventually you end upward, grabbing your back heel, which is in the air, as you lean over your front knee -- but there's a middle position that really pushes my face down into the floor, and I'm sweaty and breathing hard, and every time I get there *BOOM* body memory.

But in yoga, it is me controlling my own body, not somebody else. Literally self-control. This could be a really big doorway for me, but to where I'm not sure yet.

NERD ALERT:

There's this passage from Ulysses where Stephen tries to prove that Hamlet was his own father's ghost. This popped into my head when I was having these yoga-induced body memories. "he himself is the ghost of his own father." It never made sense to me until today in yoga class. I don't know what the fuck Joyce meant by it, but I know what clicked with me: I myself am the ghost of my perp. I am the missing part of me that I've been seeking. I am my own father's ghost.

Cant/Stephen/Hamlet

#442571 - 07/29/13 10:34 PM Re: Exercise Motivation Team [Re: cant_remember]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Hi Can't! Glad to see you join the thread!

Today was another one of those mixed bag days for me. For breakfast I had a protein bar. For lunch.... don't ask. I was bad. Ok, I had a burrito at Moe's. Ugh. For dinner it's a boneless, skinless chicken breast with low calorie soup. Peace,

Ken

#442572 - 07/29/13 10:49 PM Re: Exercise Motivation Team [Re: king tut]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
Our company left this morning so I was back to normal:

Breakfast: Cheerios, banana, peanut butter on a bagel thin.
AM Snack: Greek yogurt

Lunch: Toasted cheese sandwich, 14 Cheese-Its, raw broccoli and raw green peppers.

PM Snack: Cliff Bar

Dinner: Pasta with pesto, crusty bread and a small, small slice of Key Lime Pie for dessert.

Exercise: Swam 500 yards; lifted weights for an hour.

After this weekend's diet, I felt pretty rough.

Will

My Story: Cruel Summer

#442579 - 07/29/13 11:12 PM Re: Exercise Motivation Team [Re: Suwanee]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Oh, I forgot to mention my exercise for today. 3.5 mile run after work. smile

Page 12 of 25 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 24 25 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.