Newest Members
andrewmartin, Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm, Jennifer Lyons
12251 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
AdawgJR (28), Brian (50), hikerpark (52), Jeremy Welch (47), Logan81 (2014), Olson30 (60), Patrick7958 (56)
Who's Online
3 registered (pete1973, 2 invisible), 45 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12251 Members
73 Forums
63104 Topics
441295 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#438221 - 06/14/13 08:18 PM Video of Tornadic Storm Hitting My Place Yesterday
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The ATL
Hiya guys! Well, we had some pretty rough weather in my neck of the woods yesterday. I had actually meant to do some posting and PMing last night but the weather had other ideas. Wind gusts in my area were clocked at 70-80 mph,(113-129 kph), and we lost power for about 10 hours.

Anyway, this is a video I took of the weather out of my living room window. At around 7:15 PM, the tornado sirens started going off and I rushed to find my camera to see what I could capture. At about 0:57 in the vid, I got the transformer across the street form me exploding. At around 2:10-2:25 you start to see some of those 70+ mph wind gusts. At that point I wussed out for a second and started to run for cover. My main thought being that I should probably get away from those windows but the allure of the storm brought me back to them. After that, the storm lessened and intensified a few more times before I figured it was over and stopped filming.

I didn't know this until today but while I was filming this, an EF1 tornado touched down about a mile from me. It was part of the same storm.....

Later on I asked a couple of my neighbors if they saw how intense the storm got and they both said they hadn't because they'd been hiding in their bathrooms. Ha ha! That's what smart people do! DUUUURRRR! crazy

Edited by BraveFalcon (06/16/13 03:20 PM)

#438237 - 06/14/13 10:14 PM Re: Video of Tornadic Storm Hitting My Place Yesterday [Re: BraveFalcon]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
Ken,

You definitely had it worse than we did. I always called the tornado sirens "doomsday alarms" because they are so eerie sounding. Riding out a hurricane is several hours of that stuff complete with exploring transformers. I don't recommend it. Glad you are okay.

Looking at the radar last night, we were in a little bit of a gap in the squall line.

Will

-Signs and traces left in stone
Ruins of a past unknown-

#438239 - 06/14/13 10:29 PM Re: Video of Tornadic Storm Hitting My Place Yesterday [Re: Suwanee]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Hi Will. Yeah, I was in Tropical Storm Fay back when I lived in Jacksonville, FL and there were times when that was pretty intense but I don't think any of it was quite as intense as what I saw for a few brief seconds last night. Those few seconds right before I started to retreat from the window were probably the most intense weather moments of my life. That was just fucking crazy! It was probably the only time in my life that weather caused me to to feel actual fear, if only for a couple of seconds. I'm just glad I happened to have the camera rolling when it went down. Ha ha! Peace,

Ken

#438240 - 06/14/13 10:49 PM Re: Video of Tornadic Storm Hitting My Place Yesterday [Re: BraveFalcon]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
<sizzle! ZAP! POW!> ...and you're standing by an open window. Oh golly, you're my kinda guy, Ken! LOLOL...you jus' ain't right.

We had one Sunday that took the transformer in my back yard - have the ceramic pieces as souvenirs - knocking our block out for 8 hours. You run across the street for YOUR souvenir? I have to admit, I love this but it scares the piss outta me. Did a Wilma vid 8 years ago from my back sliders...wind whistling thru the rafters, back fence collapsing. Oh yeah, I was expecting the roof to come off.

Adrenaline junkies unite! Hey, wanna come over to my house when the next one hits? Ummm...I have hurricane windows now. You'll get GREAT vid!

#438263 - 06/15/13 08:40 AM Re: Video of Tornadic Storm Hitting My Place Yesterday [Re: Lancer]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

You know, I haven't thought to go over there to see if there are still pieces of transformer lying around. Maybe I'll check that out today. Other than the transformer blowing there wasn't much damage to anything. Lots of trees and limbs down around my place but no damage to any structures. I'm just glad I was able to get the footage. Take it easy. Peace,

Ken

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.