Newest Members
cricket1007, Nickie98, jahfree, Daryl X., tryintothrive
12496 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
joeybird (54), ladyinwaiting (46), txpearl (46)
Who's Online
5 registered (Shyshark, Garf, Jay1159, GT13568, iaccus), 20 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12496 Members
74 Forums
64171 Topics
447795 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#437845 - 06/11/13 05:49 PM saw my old avatar
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
today i saw my old avatar in person - it was a very moving experience. in a way it was almost like looking at old photos of me as a boy - emotional in a weird way - both distant and very personal. the painting is "Abraham sacrificing Isaac" by Caravaggio. the part of the painting i used when i first came to MS was the face of Isaac and the hand of Abraham on his neck. it expressed the fear and sense of helplessness that i felt at the time.

now i look at it and think - yeah, that used to be me - but i've grown beyond it. i like my new avatar much better - "David with the head of Goliath." unfortunately, that painting wasnpt in the gallery we toured today. but another one that was pretty good was - Reni's version of the same scene:

it is not bad as a substitute - but not my preferred vision. - David seems too nonchalant and jaunty - whereas Caravaggio's version is more resolute and purposeful - but also somber and aware of the magnitude of what has just transpired - as though he might still be haunted by the memories for years to come.

we saw several other versions of Davids too - including Michelangelo's - which - though it is incredible and noble and heroic - just doesn't resonate with my understanding of an adolescent who faced impossible odds - and succeeded in overcoming.

anyway - amazing day - and experience - and glad to say i am identifying with David now - instead of Isaac!

Lee
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#437860 - 06/11/13 09:09 PM Re: saw my old avatar [Re: traveler]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Thank you trav,

I enjoyed seeing these.

Puffer

#437874 - 06/11/13 10:13 PM Re: saw my old avatar [Re: traveler]
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

((((( Lee ))))))

I still recall our long-ago discussion on Caravaggio. So glad you are finding happiness in your life again.

Cant

#437882 - 06/11/13 10:43 PM Re: saw my old avatar [Re: traveler]
ThisMan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: upper south
Lee.... I love and embrace your interpretation of these pieces and what they represent to you in your recovery. As Can't pointed out, you do sound happy in your life again. Safe journey, my friend.

#437899 - 06/12/13 02:53 AM Re: saw my old avatar [Re: traveler]
Publius Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: OH
Always nice to see life imitating art especially in regards to the latter of these two pieces : )

#438204 - 06/14/13 05:25 PM Re: saw my old avatar [Re: traveler]
bodyguard8367 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: ""
""

Edited by bodyguard8367 (02/27/14 04:34 PM)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.