Newest Members
RepressedMem, jet_step, JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut
12468 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
AndyP (48), Gaius (50), JoziSA (52), mmafan66 (48), nltsaved (36), RMM (52), Steve63 (51), zenboy (51)
Who's Online
4 registered (sugarbaby, Logan, learning2remember, aniceguy), 24 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12468 Members
74 Forums
64027 Topics
446818 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#437983 - 06/12/13 08:32 PM Public Library
toddop Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
So today I went downtown to the public library on a mission to see what books they had on CSA. I get there and the books about CSA are all jumbled together with books on Perpetrators, False Memory Syndrome, and books about going from Victim to Abuser. WTF?!?!

I guess I don't understand the dewey decimal system, but that is crazy! I was triggered and having a panic attack before I pulled the first book. And ended up fleeing the library immediately.

I'm thinking about going back there and talking to the Head Librarian about it, but probably won't do any good.

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds."
-Albert Einstein

#437985 - 06/12/13 09:01 PM Re: Public Library [Re: toddop]
trytry Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Wisconsin
Sorry to hear that, that would easily be triggering...

If you do decide you want to contact them, I think it could be helpful to bring that to their attention also, whether it be in person or by email. They may not understand, or may not implement a plan to organize them any differently, but don't let that get you down if that's the case, some people just don't understand.

If you decide not to contact them, another other option is to rent books online and read them on your computer (most libraries also have this option). It's a lot cheaper (if not free) than having to buy them.

Hope your day gets better.

Edited by trytry (06/12/13 09:02 PM)

#437988 - 06/12/13 09:36 PM Re: Public Library [Re: toddop]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The ATL

Hi Toddop. (Can that be shortened to just Todd?) Yeah, I've found the same thing when looking for books about CSA. Not only at the library but at bookstores as well. It's a little frustrating but maybe you should do a google search for CSA books first and go in with some idea of what you're looking for. That way you can cut through all the other shit and go straight to what you need. Also, MS itself has a bookstore with lots of books about CSA you may find helpful. Good luck with your search. Take care. Peace,

Ken

#438002 - 06/13/13 01:30 AM Re: Public Library [Re: toddop]
toddop Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks, trytry, I think I will email them. That might be safer than an actual discussion. Also, thanks for the tip on renting books, I didn't even know about that option. I'll check it out.

Ken: Yep, Todd is cool. Yeah, I hear you on the Google search. I guess I didn't know what to expect. Maybe that the section would be roped off and only special ticket holders could get in. LOL. I'll definitely not make the same mistake twice.

At any rate, I am feeling better. In retrospect, it was good to feel some righteous anger around that. I had been a bit numbed out for the past couple of days, so it was good to just feel something.

Take care guys,
Todd

-Albert Einstein

#438004 - 06/13/13 01:49 AM Re: Public Library [Re: toddop]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: South-East Europe
I've read in some other topic about 1 in 6's library that can be borrowed on line, personally don't know how it works.
Here is the link with some good books recommended for us survivors:
http://1in6.org/family-and-friends/books-films/

#438051 - 06/13/13 12:50 PM Re: Public Library [Re: toddop]
toddop Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks for sending this link, peroperic. I'll check it out and see if it will work. Appreciate it.

Todd

-Albert Einstein

#438054 - 06/13/13 01:24 PM Re: Public Library [Re: toddop]
Candu Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: toddop
I was triggered and having a panic attack before I pulled the first book. And ended up fleeing the library immediately.

I'm thinking about going back there and talking to the Head Librarian about it, but probably won't do any good.

I doubt if it would help. I don't believe they have any choice in the numbering.

I was also triggered a number of times. But I wanted the books so I did it.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.