Newest Members
Anony_mous, Drew6991x, Miro, jj843, The Abyss
12364 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Bear (42), BoyNoMore (56), Daniel_05 (40), James Landrith (44), john kay (41)
Who's Online
4 registered (JW1230, Doubter, 2 invisible), 26 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12364 Members
74 Forums
63541 Topics
443955 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#438029 - 06/13/13 09:17 AM Triggered by sore throat
Farmer Boy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Australia
So I have a really sore throat right now. My son brought it home from school.

TRIGGER WARNING

The thing is it is bringing back vivid memories of when I had tonsillitis when I was 6. I was in grade 2.

The scratchy feeling at the back of the throat...difficulty swallowing....it is all to familiar. It reminds me of something else. Something I had to do while I had tonsillitis and it hurt like hell. I realised today that I could pinpoint an actual date when it happened. There must be some records of when I had my tonsils taken out.

Every time I swallow I think of 'that' and it is really starting to get to me. I have been doing really well at NOT focussing on the CSA for about a month and it has been great actually. I am afraid that this is the start of a return to a time when the CSA memories were horribly raw and painful.

I guess I posted this in the hope that someone else out of 11,420 Members also got triggered by a sore throat.

Lee

#438043 - 06/13/13 11:39 AM Re: Triggered by sore throat [Re: Farmer Boy]
txb Offline

This happens to me. Recently, for some reason, I complained to a friend about how having a sore throat reminds me of what happened to me. He said "sorry to hear that". Then I thought, I bet you have no clue what I'm actually talking about, I bet you couldn't even imagine that in your brain. But yeah, it's bad enough not feeling well, so it's really unfair to have bad memories to deal with on top of it.

Usually as soon as I feel my throat even slightly start to hurt I take a massive dose of vitamin C and most of the time that gets rid of it.

Hope you get better soon.

#438078 - 06/13/13 03:30 PM Re: Triggered by sore throat [Re: Farmer Boy]
Farmer Boy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Australia
Thanks txb

I hate that you 'get it' but it does make me feel better to know I am not alone. There is just no point even mentioning this to a 'normal'. There is no way they could possibly understand.

As for me...Vitamin C, Echinacea, Garlic, Zinc & Horseradish....I'm gonna nuke this thing.

Lee

#438094 - 06/13/13 06:15 PM ! [Re: Farmer Boy]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

!

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (02/28/14 07:35 PM)

#438103 - 06/13/13 07:29 PM Re: Triggered by sore throat [Re: Farmer Boy]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
In a lot of situations, the sore throat can be traced to having to perform oral sex on the perpetrator. For those who are suffering with sore throats, the question may be "did you have to perform oral sex on the abuser?"

#438107 - 06/13/13 08:05 PM Re: Triggered by sore throat [Re: Farmer Boy]
toddop Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
Hey Lee,
Yeah, I have to say I am triggered by sore throats. I used to get strep throat all the time as a kid and into my teens. At the very least 1 or 2 times a year.

Now when I get a sore throat, I get that feeling of being vulnerable and that sense of disgust you get when you think back about all the stuff that happened. I can't stand to not be able to swallow or clear my throat. That is why I avoid the dentist too.

Physical stuff in general can bring on the panic.

I do the same as txb, and down massive amounts of Vitamin C if I get the slightest scratchy throat.

Todd

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds."
-Albert Einstein

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.