Newest Members
0128, jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady
12502 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
fakir (71), HelpMeHelpHim32 (41), motherstars (65)
Who's Online
1 registered (Obi), 16 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12502 Members
74 Forums
64190 Topics
447929 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#437929 - 06/12/13 12:34 PM EMDR--Has anyone tried it?
WriterKeith Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: southern California
I'm looking into Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing. There seems to quite a buzz about it in the area of treatment. My therapist is being trained in it as well. I am told it is not for everyone, just as not every treatment is right for everyone.

I know there have been discussions in threads here but I am finding only scattered comments through the search feature. I recall many fellow survivors saying it worked well for them.

I've read the print information from professionals, but I'd like to hear from fellow survivors before I make a decision on it. Any thoughts you'd like to share about your experience with EMDR?

#437931 - 06/12/13 12:44 PM Re: Has anyone been through EMDR? [Re: WriterKeith]
mattheal Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
Hi Keith,

I tried EMDR with my last T. She had been trained, but did not have a lot of practice. We tried the follow my fingers approach as well as knee tapping. I did not see any benefit. Not sure if it did not work for me because of me, the T's inexperience, or the method. My advice would be to try it. I sincerely hope it works for you.

Regards,
Matt
that the worst is all behind you
And the waves that tossed the raft all night
have set you on dry land
- The Mountain Goats - "Never Quite Free"

#437932 - 06/12/13 12:48 PM Re: Has anyone been through EMDR? [Re: mattheal]
WriterKeith Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks, Matt. I have offered to be my therapist's first try as well. My guess is that it is something that takes some practice for a newly trained therapist.

#437937 - 06/12/13 01:27 PM Re: Has anyone been through EMDR? [Re: WriterKeith]
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

Keith,

If you have any DID symptoms, I would recommend you not do EMDR with a newly trained T without experience working with DID abuse survivor clients.

EMDR can be a powerful thing, especially for us. Be careful.

I'm working with a T with experience in EMDR and DID clients, and she and I did nearly 4 months of foundational work before she started the follow-the-finger processing.

We've only been processing for a few weeks, but something is certainly happening with me.

Cant

#437938 - 06/12/13 01:40 PM Re: Has anyone been through EMDR? [Re: WriterKeith]
WriterKeith Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks, Cant..

Ok.. help me out. What is DID?

#437939 - 06/12/13 01:42 PM Re: Has anyone been through EMDR? [Re: WriterKeith]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: South-East Europe
DID - Dissociative identity disorder wink

#437947 - 06/12/13 03:46 PM Re: Has anyone been through EMDR? [Re: WriterKeith]
bodyguard8367 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: ""
""

Edited by bodyguard8367 (02/27/14 04:15 PM)

#437948 - 06/12/13 03:55 PM Re: Has anyone been through EMDR? [Re: WriterKeith]
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

As Pero says, DID = Dissociative Identity Disorder. What we used to call Multiple Personality Disorder but also a spectrum of similar issues resulting from our minds fragmenting in order to cope with the abuse.

For me, I have three parts: my seemingly normal primary self; my young self that carries the abuse experience; and a part that I've come to call Izzy, where all my negative emotions lurk.

If your mind is segmented like that in any way, or if you lose time or don't feel you are in control of your body at all times, that's DID.

And what happens when a DID person does EMDR is that the eye movements make him re-experience the trauma that caused his mind to split in the first place. His mind may not be prepared for this, and it could cause psychic crisis, including additional personality splitting and suicide ideation.

That's why you need a T who has some experience in this. If you have other "parts," your T needs to say hello to them and determine which is present when. That sort of thing.

If that doesn't fit your issues, then you can disregard, but it's something you and your T should keep in mind.

Cant

#437955 - 06/12/13 04:38 PM Re: EMDR--Has anyone tried it? [Re: WriterKeith]
Publius Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: OH
My T recommended EMDR as well, however, I did not have the cash for it. However, I did a lot of research on it as well. It's nice to hear more from guys who actually experienced it. The more I learn the more curious I get about the practice. I'd be lying if I did not admit to wanting to buy into the hype. If there were a pill out there that cost $100,000 dollars but would erase the abuse experience and all of its after effects, well, I'd found a way to get the money : P

#437966 - 06/12/13 05:26 PM Re: EMDR--Has anyone tried it? [Re: Publius]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I had about 2 dozen EMDR sessions. They were separated by about a year. That is, a dozen and then lay out a year and then another dozen.

They were of great benefit. I had early abuse as a 4-year-old and then severe abuse (torture and sex abuse) as a 12-year-old. That was a pretty nasty combination. But the early abuse taught me how to dissociate. In other words I had DID. Then I experienced a bunch of other abuse, mostly by other boys. There were some predator boys in my environment. So I was quite a mess. Lots of alters. (oops - you're a writer - I can't use any dangling participles).

When I came to EMDR I was aware of being double. I was both an adult and a boy who remembered horrific abuse. EMDR dealt with that pretty well by bringing together the objective memories of the abuse and the terrible feelings of being there. My practitioner used a special stick which he waved back and forth before my eyes like an upside-down pendulum. My eyes would follow the pendulum. He used certain phrases to guide me. I have described this in more detail in another post. Pretty soon I would be right in the abusive situation I faced as a boy (virtually). It was very real, including the feelings of the abuse. After the session I was a bleeding dummy. But taken in these little doses as an adult I was able to manage the horror. After the session, it took several hours to come down and then several days to adjust. But after that I distinctly felt better. It was a lasting fix.

As a 12-year-old I was given LSD in kind of an experimental way on the last day of the 2-week camp. There was no such thing as a careful dose and so it was just a slam dunk kind of a thing. I didn't know what was happening then. I must have gone on a psychotic terror binge as a 12-year-old. I don't know. But when EMDR got to the LSD emotions I started to crash badly. But my brain remembered the solution it had learned when I was very young and I immediately dissociated and found an entirely new personality. That handled it but it's better not to have to go that way.

After laying-out of EMDR for awhile I became aware that I still had a lot of issues. they were combined with DID-like manifestations. That means I still had a bunch of split personality type stuff, call them alters if you like. I'm presently having light hypnotherapy for this. My T is very gentle and he calls the different ones out and talks to them for awhile. It works.

Puffer

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.