Newest Members
OxfordArms, Anony_mous, Drew6991x, Miro, jj843
12365 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
gryffindor (67), KevinSweeney (57), latinflavor815 (52), latin_flavor_815 (52), RTMark (33), sabooka (35), southpaw10 (46)
Who's Online
3 registered (unhappycamper, carperson, aniceguy), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12365 Members
74 Forums
63552 Topics
444014 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#437424 - 06/08/13 12:47 PM history in the making
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
i am in Istanbul right now - seeing the protests 1st-hand.
it is amazing to be here experiencing this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22804303
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#437426 - 06/08/13 12:54 PM Re: history in the making [Re: traveler]
victor-victim Offline

Loc: O Kanada
wow! that is awesome!
are you getting close to the action?
perhaps getting some exclusive footage?

do you think you might be in danger?
do you have your exit stategy?

really, how bad is it?

War
Love
Poetry

#437582 - 06/09/13 08:46 PM Re: history in the making [Re: traveler]
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

Lee,

How good that you are experiencing life and history. Does it put your recent past troubles in perspective? Or is that stuff still difficult for you and your wife to deal with?

Cant

#437835 - 06/11/13 05:15 PM Re: history in the making [Re: traveler]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
Some of the demonstrations have been violent on each side - police using excessive force, tear gas, fire hoses, rubber bullets - even real bullets - against unarmed and generally non-violent civilians. but some of the demonstrators have thrown molotov cocktails and even used guns, too. hard to say who struck first - but the general consensus among the citizens in Istanbul is that they are the innocent parties and the government forces are the aggressors. that seemed to be true from the protests we saw - lots of marching, chanting, flag-waving, picket signs, etc - but no destruction or violence. every night at 9:00 there was 15 minutes of noise - cars honking, pots & pans banging, shouting, clapping on the streets - and many are flying and waving flags. apparently this is unusual - to have such wide-spread solidarity. but in outlying regions the religious conservatives are stronger. We walked and drove past and through several demonstrations and did not feel threatened. most of what we saw was almost a party-atmosphere - with an exhilaration that was edgy - reminded me of the barricade scenes in Les Mis and of the anti-Viet Nam war rallies of my college days. they are against the prime minister and his repressive party - not westerners. in fact the demonstrations seem to be a statement in favor of democracy and western-style freedoms and against religious dictatorship. but we did not feel it wise to do much photography - since many are nervous about government crackdowns and fear those who may be recording or documenting the action.

we have moved on now to Italy.

lee
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#437871 - 06/11/13 09:55 PM Re: history in the making [Re: traveler]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The ATL

Hi Lee. Glad to hear you're safe. Man, it is so epicly awesome that you got to see what you saw first hand though! Given the nature of the protest I would have been wanting to join in and show them my sport. (Not that I would have because I'm not sure how well a foreigner would be received in those circumstances.) That said, I'm pretty much a fervent life-long hater of theocracy or anything that smells like it, regardless of which religion it's coming from. Anyone who rages against it has my support, at least ideologically. Take care. Peace,

Ken

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.