Newest Members
DT, kk90, Austintexan, Cancan, LS
12257 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Blank (36), christx (41), Heartonfire (38), Nathan LaChine (31)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 20 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
63124 Topics
441426 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#437794 - 06/11/13 01:12 PM Overwhelmed
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
(I'm not 100% sure this is recovery related so mods please move if necessary)
I'm down here in Roanoke, VA doing a 2 week intensive stuttering therapy. When they say intensive they mean intensive. Or atleast that's how it feels. I feel overwhelmed and my self confidence has me doubting my future progress. The biggest thing is that I feel even more guilty if I don't do we'll because my parents are paying for it and it is not cheap (5k including hotel and food for 12 days). One of the techniques is full breath which is exactly like it sounds. You have to take full breaths from your diaphragm and I guess it requires great focus which is something that I don't have probably due to the hypervidulance and anxiety. Guess I'm here mind as well just do it but its really frustrating. Hopefully things will work out ok. Anyone have a similar experience?

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#437795 - 06/11/13 01:18 PM Re: Overwhelmed [Re: onlyakid]
OCN Offline

Loc: Western Europe
I don't have a similar experience, but i do wonder how many days you've spend up till now. Do you have high expectation?

I assume there is a lot of experienced personnel there to support you? I'm sure they can help you with elevating the anxiety over you being afraid you won't succeed. Because focussing on the guilt towards your parents makes you feel anxious, which doesnt help you (you only add more pressure on yourself)

So my suggestion would be to talk with one of the therapists about this issue. They can probably help you to let go of the anxious feeling by doing the exercise together with you, so that you can build your confidence!

And last, try not to focus on feeling guilty towards your parents too much. They give you the chance to do this therapy, so i'm sure they are supporting you in doing the therapy. Perhaps you can discuss this with the parent you trust the most? They might be able to calm you down!

Good luck there onlyakid! Dont be too hard on yourself. Give yourself some space and try to calm down - even though it can be hard (i know that)!

Take care!
Peter

Edited by OCN (06/11/13 01:18 PM)

#437796 - 06/11/13 01:20 PM Re: Overwhelmed [Re: onlyakid]
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Talladega, Alabama, USA
I stutter when I am emotionally overwhelmed onlyakid, but I have not been treated for it, as well I have learned how to center and ground myself, greatly reducing the stuttering.

As far as expectations, please remember you are there to learn what you can absorb and use not the complete history of stuttering treatment. That is a mistake. O.a.k, focus on what you can learn and do, try everything and take good notes. You are going to feel better by learning and acting on what you have learned than by trying to absorb everything. No one, or almost no one can absorb everything the first time. I think "Superman" or probably "The Brain" could, but whatever.

Be comfortable with you in what you are learning, try everything, celebrate consistent progress and relish success!

You are doing well,
Sam

#437863 - 06/11/13 09:21 PM Re: Overwhelmed [Re: onlyakid]
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

I think I may have overanyalized the whole thing i tend to do that alot. Lots of hard work but I think I'll be okay. Thanks for all the support

Edited by onlyakid (06/11/13 09:22 PM)

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#437865 - 06/11/13 09:26 PM Re: Overwhelmed [Re: onlyakid]
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Talladega, Alabama, USA
Eh, so you have over analyzed, and you have passed by, so now you are aware of the extremes, now you get to meander in the middle to find a balance you are comfortable with, it is a necessary part of your process.

Well done.

#438756 - 06/20/13 08:37 PM Re: Overwhelmed [Re: SamV]
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: SamV
As far as expectations, please remember you are there to learn what you can absorb and use not the complete history of stuttering treatment. That is a mistake. O.a.k, focus on what you can learn and do, try everything and take good notes. You are going to feel better by learning and acting on what you have learned than by trying to absorb everything.

Well tomorrow is the last day of the program and as I am getting anxious about it being over and having to use the techniques. I just want you to know that it is helping me to remind my self that I'm not there to "learn the complete history of stuttering treatment"

Thanks Sam

#438763 - 06/20/13 10:14 PM Re: Overwhelmed [Re: onlyakid]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The ATL

Hi Onlyakid. Good luck with this man! I really hope this program helps you with your problem. To me, it sounds like the kind of thing that may not pay dividends right away, but the more you work on what you were taught, the more you may see an improvement over time. Keeping my fingers crossed that it helped. Take care. Peace,

Ken

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.