Newest Members
JLB, MrsC, wraphd, blufish, JPmc
12437 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
carperson (26), Daryoush (59), Gary31 (48), Overburdened78 (33), scaredcrappie (29), ThomasO (63), Wornoutsoul (38), WRR (34), zakwilde005 (45)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 19 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12437 Members
74 Forums
63847 Topics
445825 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#428837 - 03/23/13 03:09 PM Participating in a "Slutwalk"
JayBro Offline

Loc: Germany
I am going to be participating in a Slutwalk in my community. As not only a survivor of CSA but also sexual assaults as an adult, this will be my first time taking part in any sort of public gathering or event of this nature. I am a little nervous to be triggered by everything, or perhaps to have any other participants there judge me for being a man/not believing that men can be victims as well (I realise many there will have an open mind).

I think it is great many societies are becoming more aware of the need to speak out and stop victim blaming, but at times I feel that this movement (as it is still in its infancy) can be quite silencing to those who are- let's say minorities- in this movement, such as male survivors. I am also still at a stage where I am easily triggered and I encounter one of my rapists often in our university town. What if he is there? (I think that often when I go out).

Do you reckon I should go? I am going alone, but it is also real close to my house, so I think it will not be that far from home in case I fall out of my comfort zone.

#428841 - 03/23/13 04:36 PM Re: Participating in a "Slutwalk" [Re: JayBro]
Tarobuns108 Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Jay,

I think your presence will help to dispel those false beliefs that a man cannot be a victim of sexual abuse or rape. It may also prove to be empowering for some women to see men showing their solidarity and shared experiences with sexual violence.

If you have supportive friends or family, maybe consider bringing them with you to make you feel more at ease, especially if you feel the experience could be triggering for you.

I hope that if you do participate, that it will be a positive and empowering experience for you and those affected by sexual violence in your community.

Best,
Ren
"Don't be ashamed to need help. Like a soldier storming a wall, you have a mission to accomplish. And if you've been wounded and you need a comrade to pull you up? So what?" Meditations of Marcus Aurelius, Book 7:7

#428914 - 03/24/13 12:15 PM Re: Participating in a "Slutwalk" [Re: JayBro]
Zug Offline

Loc: Progress
Don't let a perp scare you away, take some friends to support you. If you see him, comfront him. Just my .02

#428956 - 03/24/13 05:00 PM Re: Participating in a "Slutwalk" [Re: JayBro]
JayBro Offline

Loc: Germany
Thanks Ren and Zug, that's very much appreciated! I didn't think of asking my friends to come along, but I think it is something I will definitely consider!!

#437636 - 06/10/13 10:57 AM Re: Participating in a "Slutwalk" [Re: JayBro]
ThisMan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: upper south
Hey, JayBro. What you had planned was most courageous. And being a bit concerned about perhaps seeing your perp at the event would be triggering for me as well.

I was wondering how the walk went. Was your presence well received? Did you feel empowered by the experience?

#449940 - 10/12/13 02:36 PM Re: Participating in a "Slutwalk" [Re: JayBro]
Cthulhu Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Cascadia
Sounds very brave. I have wanted to do the same event here at the other end of the country but lacked the courage. I say go! Like you said you can always head back home if things get too intense.

But I say that but, I am unwilling to go to positive events I know my abuser is at. And he pretends to be an ally of male survivors taking part in all sorts of gay men's groups...

(Didn't see the date of this post until after posting)

Edited by Cthulhu (01/03/14 08:37 PM)

some context

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.