Newest Members
Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated, donmarks
12383 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Beluga (64), Isreal101 (65), Phil Sober (41), phil1973 (41), Teddy Bear (63)
Who's Online
4 registered (Obi, 3 invisible), 40 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12383 Members
74 Forums
63644 Topics
444485 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#437627 - 06/10/13 10:13 AM Unseen benifits of this long cold grey spring.
Agate Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Up here in Minnesota we have had a very strange spring. Weather is like London. Lots of rain, fog, and temps 10-20 degrees below normal.

We have not seen the sun in weeks. For a sun child like me it affects my mood. On the way positive side, MORELS!!!!!
Fungi gold.

What is normally a 2 week season has extended to a month so far.
I have gathered so many that I am now freezing exclusively. Have about 6 pounds in the freezer and have a walk scheduled with a friend tonight.

They sell at the farmers markets for 100 a pound, so I just smile as I fry em up in butter and make that steak taste like a million bucks.

Agate

#437633 - 06/10/13 10:51 AM Re: Unseen benifits of this long cold grey spring. [Re: Agate]
ThisMan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: upper south
Excellent !! As a kid, we referred to the morels as "dryland fish"... and a seldom used phrase was "hickory chicken"...

#437635 - 06/10/13 10:57 AM Re: Unseen benifits of this long cold grey spring. [Re: Agate]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
That's a nice half-full glass perspective!

Okay,

I'm intrigued by these morels. I haven't eaten any myself, but I've seen a few on my hiking trips. As a fungus, I imagine moisture is a friend of the morel.

When is your morel season up there? Around here, I hear of people looking for them in early March. They're really serious about their hunting expeditions. The newspaper article I read a while back made it sound like some real characters were into this...sounds like the next reality TV show!

I'm with you on the grey spring weather. We may not be as cold as you, but it has been raining a lot down here. My weekend paddling trip got washed out by the tropical storm...WAY too early for that in my book.

Will

-Signs and traces left in stone
Ruins of a past unknown-

#437646 - 06/10/13 12:12 PM Re: Unseen benifits of this long cold grey spring. [Re: Agate]
Agate Offline

Loc: Minnesota
It's dependent on soil temp. Other plants give a clue, like when the lilacs are just ready to bloom is a good time to start looking. Oaks budding out is another clue.

The hunt is kept quiet lest your good areas get picked before you can harvest.
On the other hand looking for standing dead elm trees is not that hard either. Private land is a bonus, but plenty can be found roadside and on public lands.

Agate.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.