Newest Members
beatcook, MassGuy, wiresguy1, AustinChemist, wild_turky
12276 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
4113 (60), Andre M, (36), catchup22 (62), jim OCA 7 (57), sidhearthur (55), SkyClad (65)
Who's Online
3 registered (Jay1946, 2 invisible), 19 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12276 Members
73 Forums
63167 Topics
441715 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#435204 - 05/19/13 11:23 PM sitting in a movie theatre party of 1
Magellan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
About to watch star trek alone. Dunno if I should feel pathetic or proud.

Loving Kindness Meditation will dramatically improve your spirits; give it a try for just 3 days: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz7cpV7ERsM

#435206 - 05/19/13 11:32 PM Re: sitting in a movie theatre party of 1 [Re: Magellan]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Watching a movie is kind of an alone thing to do anyway, even if you are in a huge group of people. This is because you are not relating to individuals but you are responding to media on the screen. So I often go to movies alone because of that. Even if you are alone, so is everybody else who may be sitting there in the theater. They are alone because they are relating to the medium and not to human individuals.

Puffer

#435207 - 05/19/13 11:34 PM Re: sitting in a movie theatre party of 1 [Re: Magellan]
ThisMan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: upper south
I have a confession also... I go to the theatre quite often... alone. ... used to feel pathetic... then I decided... hell-0-pete... PROUD that I could enter and sit through an entire movie by myself... and I now I love the freedom to just go when I want. Yes, sir, be proud of yourself. I am.

#435208 - 05/19/13 11:37 PM Re: sitting in a movie theatre party of 1 [Re: Magellan]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
You may have just convinced me, Magellan, to see STITD tomorrow noon (everyone's at work and I have the theater to myself). Haven't done a theater movie in a while. A treat for me, like TM. Only other decision is tacos with gobs of cheese or popcorn drowning in butter (worthy of its own thread). Have the little mint flosser (no pun intended). Thanks!

#435218 - 05/20/13 02:13 AM Re: sitting in a movie theatre party of 1 [Re: Magellan]
Magellan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks, Guys.

Great, almost mindless fun. Glad I went.

Wish I had friends to hang out with.

Loving Kindness Meditation will dramatically improve your spirits; give it a try for just 3 days: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz7cpV7ERsM

#435219 - 05/20/13 02:19 AM Re: sitting in a movie theatre party of 1 [Re: Magellan]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Mag..

I have had huge problems with social isolation. A couple of guys "adopted" me in the sense that they have me eat lunch with them twice a week so that I'm not alone. That happened after I started to be able to share my story with a motivated and loving person who was NOT a therapist.

I go to a non-depressing movie when I need diversion but I don't rely on it for friendship time.

Puffer

#435236 - 05/20/13 08:13 AM Re: sitting in a movie theatre party of 1 [Re: Magellan]
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: durham, north england
I'm actually quite jealous there Magellan. The nearest cinemar to me is in Newcastle, which is about an hour's commute away with one train and two taxies and would cost me about 12 for the journey. I really wish there still was! a cinemar in Durham that I could go to alone. indeed one rather ironic fact is that I only get to see films on the few occasions when one of my friends who live a long way away happens to be up here and wants to watch something since otherwise the journey is pointless, which means I miss out on a lot of stuff.

I've not seen startrek yet, and I didn't see the first one because the friend I usually see films with isn't really a startrek fan.

Going to do stuff with a friend is good, but watchingfilms is also good and the two are not necessarily the same thing, indeed as Alan aka puffer said, simply the act of seeing a film together is pretty isolating anyway, it's other stuff you do around seeing that film that makes a difference, going out for food or whatever, and that sort of stuff can also be done just as well alone.

#435254 - 05/20/13 01:10 PM Re: sitting in a movie theatre party of 1 [Re: pufferfish]
Magellan Offline
MaleSurvivor

I suffer from severe isolation, too. I don't click with anyone. The last good friend I had was over 10 years ago. I've been severely lonely ever since.

I don't know why I can't click with others. A former sponsor tried to convince me it is because I'm so intelligent. And my therapist tries to convince me it is because I'm also incredibly perceptive / deep. I sense / think / know things that most people are unaware of.

Whatever. I'm profoundly lonely and I need 'mine' to make a life worth living.

Originally Posted By: pufferfish
Mag..

I have had huge problems with social isolation. A couple of guys "adopted" me in the sense that they have me eat lunch with them twice a week so that I'm not alone. That happened after I started to be able to share my story with a motivated and loving person who was NOT a therapist.

I go to a non-depressing movie when I need diversion but I don't rely on it for friendship time.

Puffer

#435255 - 05/20/13 01:12 PM Re: sitting in a movie theatre party of 1 [Re: dark empathy]
Magellan Offline
MaleSurvivor

That sucks to hear. I live in a metro area, and the nearest mega theater complex is like 3 blocks away. The second largest is 10 blocks away.

I'm glad I made the decision to move here, sometimes. But I suffer incredibly because of how chronically lonely I am all the time.

I just can't make any friends. I just don't know how. Makes most of my days unbearably boring and makes my life feel pointless.

Originally Posted By: dark empathy
I'm actually quite jealous there Magellan. The nearest cinemar to me is in Newcastle, which is about an hour's commute away with one train and two taxies and would cost me about 12 for the journey. I really wish there still was! a cinemar in Durham that I could go to alone. indeed one rather ironic fact is that I only get to see films on the few occasions when one of my friends who live a long way away happens to be up here and wants to watch something since otherwise the journey is pointless, which means I miss out on a lot of stuff.

I've not seen startrek yet, and I didn't see the first one because the friend I usually see films with isn't really a startrek fan.

Going to do stuff with a friend is good, but watchingfilms is also good and the two are not necessarily the same thing, indeed as Alan aka puffer said, simply the act of seeing a film together is pretty isolating anyway, it's other stuff you do around seeing that film that makes a difference, going out for food or whatever, and that sort of stuff can also be done just as well alone.

#435266 - 05/20/13 04:36 PM Re: sitting in a movie theatre party of 1 [Re: Magellan]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The ATL
Originally Posted By: Magellan
That sucks to hear. I live in a metro area, and the nearest mega theater complex is like 3 blocks away. The second largest is 10 blocks away.

I'm glad I made the decision to move here, sometimes. But I suffer incredibly because of how chronically lonely I am all the time.

I just can't make any friends. I just don't know how. Makes most of my days unbearably boring and makes my life feel pointless.

Hi Magellan. Sorry to hear you're feeling that way. I lead a pretty isolated life as well. Having few friends and no significant other, I've gotten used to going to movies alone. (Although, I rarely go to the movies at all any more due to the cost.) In fact, in the past 15 or so years, I've gone to the movies alone probably nine out of every ten times I've gone. Shit, I've even gone to sporting events alone at times. It feels kind of weird at first, but you get used to it. That's not to say you should just "get used to it" and give up on finding friends who could go with you, it's just that I personally don't feel weird about going everywhere on my own anymore and haven't for a long time. I suppose I shouldn't expect that others would be able to adapt, adjust to and even embrace isolation the way that I have. If you can't, good luck finding someone you click with. Everyone deserves to have a friend. Take it easy. Peace,

Ken

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.