Newest Members
BusterJones, Desperateforhelp, aniceguy, Green_Lantern, Safe11ride
12121 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
corvairman1 (43), marianne (44), son (35), speedy (31)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 110 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12121 Members
73 Forums
62524 Topics
438156 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#434785 - 05/15/13 09:37 PM Still 'Coming to'
Magellan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
I'm just astonished, shocked, flabberghasted that my mom neglected and ignored me the way she did.

The older I get (I'm 41 now), the more I come to realize how horrendous she was as a mother. I had no idea. Simply no clue how what a trauma and a curse she placed on my entire life because of her neglect.

Ugh.

-- I must remind myself that sugar is my enemy. I can't control my sugar consumption and sugar makes me mentally unstable. I'm reminding myself (because I forgot again).

#434788 - 05/15/13 10:13 PM Re: Still 'Coming to' [Re: Magellan]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
Hell, Magellan, I could have written your post myself...add abuse to the list.

My post is only an indication of my experience, not what yours will be. I started to become consciously aware of the abuse over a couple decades ago and really started to feel astonished, shocked and flabbergasted over the depth of it perhaps ten years ago as I recalled various events. For one, when I was ten, she'd just married her THIRD husband and told me, "He's doing us a favor because his children are already grown." WTF? How is a ten-year-old supposed to process THAT? Those with whom I've shared various parts of the story - some of whom have kids themselves - are horrified. Some have even indicated they knew at the time something wasn't right. Very validating.

And I'm still dealing (or not) with the trauma...on top of the CSA for which she set me up. The past couple years it's been the ways she totally fucked up any chance I'd have for intimacy, solid career moves, etc.

I've made progress this year by reconnecting with a cousin (Dad's side) who's become like an older brother I never had - very, very kewl - and with an older stepsister who's confirmed my impressions (and worse) as we filled in the blanks with each other:
http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthr...4803#Post434803

It may be a rough ride, but you and I are doing far more to deal with this shit head on than most people.

#434844 - 05/16/13 10:55 AM Re: Still 'Coming to' [Re: Magellan]
Magellan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
Thanks Lancer,

"past couple years it's been the ways she totally fucked up any chance I'd have for intimacy, solid career moves, etc." Ditto.

I started becoming aware of her shortcomings much earlier on as well, but it has only been in the last few years (this is actually what brought me here to MS) since I realized the emotionally incestuous relationship she had with me.

She told me when I was 4 or 5 that she had thought of giving me up for adoption

When putting me on a plane by myself (in the 70s), she told me the flight stewardess was my aunt

These are things I have remembered all along, and knew they were wrong.

When I watch mothers with their children and the engagement they provide them, I am often surprised by what I witness. My mom gave me almost none of that attention.

And by the time I was 12, hitting puberty, and had become very angry for simply being alive (and disabled) - she said that I just had an axe to grind against her. So it was my fault that I had emotional issues, and she made herself the victim of my emotional wreakage.

It's only been in the last couple of years that I have been coming to grips with the fact that my mom never gave me *any* socialization, never taught me how to play well with others or how to stand up for myself or how to value myself or how to simply live life. She ignored me.

A few posts here in the last few days have brought all that back to the forefront of my awareness. My mom was at fault for making me the ugly creature I became. My mom was at fault for not giving me tools to be sociable. My mom was at fault for crippling my ability to be intimate with another human being.

I've been single for my entire fucking life, I've never been in love, and I've never had a healthy good relationship that I was ever satisfied with. I've been lonely all of my fucking life and my life has been pretty meaningless and pointless as a result.

It's hard to not become angry thinking about this; I misunderstood this anger and was angry for being alive and for having disabilities. My therapist helped me to see a couple weeks ago that the anger was misdirected; if I had had parents that taught me how to accept myself, with disabilities and all, much of the other anguish that came over the last 20 years could have been avoided.

Now, at 41, with half my life gone, wondering what the hell the point is, I know it is my responsibility to accept all this, and it is nothing but a bitter pill to swallow.

I've begged and cried and screamed and dreamed to have at least someone in my life who loved me unconditionally for who I was. I never even got that.

Sorry. I didn't mean to get back on the pity pot in the middle of this - but this is what happens when I gain a little insight/flash of awareness about how screwed my life has been because of the severe neglect (on top of the bullying, and abuse, and the CSA).

Edited by Magellan (05/16/13 11:18 AM)

-- I must remind myself that sugar is my enemy. I can't control my sugar consumption and sugar makes me mentally unstable. I'm reminding myself (because I forgot again).

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.