Newest Members
JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS
12466 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
BobbyJay (53), john50049 (57), Samii (34)
Who's Online
2 registered (peroperic2009, tbkkfile), 24 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12466 Members
74 Forums
64014 Topics
446752 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#434727 - 05/15/13 10:02 AM Stages of Recovery
Dave PNW Offline

Loc: Pacific Northwest

I came across this article yesterday and it really spoke to me. I have been wanting to know what healing looks like in this whole process. A couple of weeks ago I had a really down stretch where I was on the edge of tears for days. Breaking down over stuff I would have hardly noticed or felt before. Talking with a work associate about our fathers, just barely holding back, voice shaking, trying to stay steady. Another day listening to music at a concert, sitting there with tears running down my cheeks in the dark. Reading some of your stories and posts and trying to hold back the tears. I am not like that. Falling apart one evening, I personal messaged several of you asking, actually pleading, to tell me this will somehow get better. Your messages calmed me. I rode it out. I was okay.

I read this article on the stages of recovery and it really put some of what I have been feeling in perspective. Also helped me visualize what getting better, what healing might look like. Hope it helps someone out there:

http://1in6.org/men/get-information/onli...es-of-recovery/

#434728 - 05/15/13 10:14 AM Re: Stages of Recovery [Re: Dave PNW]
Jude Offline

Loc: New England
Originally Posted By: dw1972+
......and trying to hold back the tears. I am not like that.

Great article dw. I've used the 1 in 6 site alot. But don't hold back those tears anymore. You WERE like that, but now your starting to heal and all the tears need to come.

Jude
That's why I'm telling you
I just want to celebrate another day of livin'
Rare Earth

#434732 - 05/15/13 10:53 AM Re: Stages of Recovery [Re: Dave PNW]
DavoSwim Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Iowa, USA
DW
Great article on recovery. So useful for so many of us. Keep writing, your words have so much meaning to others, not just yourself.

DavO

#434733 - 05/15/13 10:59 AM Re: Stages of Recovery [Re: Dave PNW]
ThisMan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: upper south
dw,
Listen to these guys. They have helped me so very much. I visited the site, my first visit, and read the article. For what ever reason, it was all I could do to keep it together as I read. Thanks for sharing this. It made a difference for me. And my best to you, guy.

#434735 - 05/15/13 11:05 AM Re: Stages of Recovery [Re: Dave PNW]
Poorsoft Offline

Thank you for sharing this!!

#434738 - 05/15/13 11:41 AM Re: Stages of Recovery [Re: Dave PNW]
bodyguard8367 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: ""
""

Edited by bodyguard8367 (02/27/14 03:12 PM)

#434756 - 05/15/13 01:51 PM Re: Stages of Recovery [Re: Dave PNW]
csasurvivor1992 Offline

Loc: Texas
wow. spot on! middle paragraph there in stage 3 described me to the T! (no pun intended).

What stinks is that these stages aren't linear and they're very organic. I know I wanted to blow right through them... I'm angry, I'm sad, I'm healed. But to truly let go and release those tears of everything that happened and MORE IMPORTANTLY, the effects of what happened... well that took more courage than I knew was possible. that's been the most painful, to acknowledge and accept that this is part of me. it sucks.

But, as Fun. sings... "It gets better, it gets better, it gets better, it will get better!"

#434779 - 05/15/13 08:34 PM Re: Stages of Recovery [Re: Dave PNW]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
Thank you for the link dw. I particularly like that it's not the one-size-fits-all "stages of grief".

As for me, seems I've been stuck in tallying up the losses (4) forever.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.