Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
iwishicared (41), Scott Oliver (53), TutDaVinci (32)
Who's Online
3 registered (Ocellaris, 2 invisible), 23 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63369 Topics
443109 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#434570 - 05/13/13 01:39 PM Re: PLease help!! why???? for partners and survivors? [Re: lucylives]
lucylives Offline

You are right about a lot of things Airmid, and though I don't have a right to demand that it all be done on my timeline and schedule, I do have a right to demand to live in a marriage without lies and manipulation. That is not called control, that is called having a boundary.

I have been at this rodeo almost 5 years. I belong to a 12 step group which has been my life saver, I have been in therapy for years dealing with this and my own crap. I have done everything in my power to heal from my own trauma and the trauma caused by living with a sex addict. The good news is that I think I am a much better mother than I was before, a better wife and a better human being than I was before all this occurred.

I just wish my husband was a total asshole, then it would be easy to leave. The problem is that he is such a wonderful guy when the shame monster and the sex addict aren't in control. I am learning that it is ok to love the man and hate the addict. Of course, I have a right to be in a marriage where lies and shame don't rule and I can have some safety. We all do!

#434574 - 05/13/13 03:40 PM Re: PLease help!! why???? for partners and survivors? [Re: lucylives]
Airmid Offline

Loc: South
I'm not intending to argue, Lucy. The control is his refusal to do anything. Not tolerating intolerable behavior is spot-on solid. Absolutely. We can understand what drives it all we want, and it doesn't change their willingness until they hurt enough themselves to change. Understanding is for us, and we can have compassion while still enforcing self-protective boundaries. Nothing excuses the acting-out, and in my opinion, it is an asshole behavior when it's planned and has an emotional involvement, regardless of shame driving it, and regardless of other motives. I threw away the compulsion argument when I saw that he groomed potential GF's as 'friends' regularly. It didn't stop him, but it opened my eyes, and like you said, drove me to be better for myself in many ways.

It's kind of like the old AA saying that people don't see our motives; all they see are our actions. So true. You can hate the addiction, yes. It hurts, it destroys, it kills. You have a right to be in a safe, secure marriage, no matter what or whether his recovery is happening or not. But, the Three C's still apply. Hoping he'll change is still holding out for the "cure" part of that to happen, and can be (but isn't always) a way to avoid the reality that right now, right this minute, he might not be changing at all. Can we spouses/partners live with that reality?

When we stick to our boundaries, it can cause strife, because we're changing for our protection. (I know you know that, I'm adding that for any newer members.) Boundaries are for our safety, not to convince them to change. Inside, are you holding out hope that it will happen soon, that he'll embrace therapy, dump her and get it together & start truly healing? For me, that was the one question I didn't want to see: was I holding out hope that I could "help" him get to a point of wanting healing? Was I prepared to go to any lengths to protect the marriage and especially to protect myself emotionally in the meantime? In my case, I had had inconsistent boundaries, and that had played a part in the breakdown of our dynamic. I no longer could blame the collapse of the marriage on his refusal to address his own stuff. It hurt like hell.

I'm sorry you're hurting, and I'm sorry I seem to have contributed to that some. You're a strong, awesome, amazing woman who does deserve better than the treatment you're getting. you deserve to be fully loved, cared for and to have true intimacy. I want that for you.

#434590 - 05/13/13 08:20 PM Re: PLease help!! why???? for partners and survivors? [Re: lucylives]
lucylives Offline

Thanks for the response, Air. My husband is in recovery, 12 step programs for 5 years. Therapy all that time too. The only emotional involvement in his acting out is his hand and that is bad enough.

I have seen a lot of change in the past 5 years (mostly the last 3 of sex addiction 12 step) but it is VERY disappointing none the less that the shame and the addict is still so prevelant in his dealings of life.

I will send you a pm.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.