Newest Members
DougieB, sethpeterson, R Ellis, SailingAway, Kitty6
12320 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Healer (53), Kilo (21), sdsjr (40), surfdude (57)
Who's Online
3 registered (finallyhere, 2 invisible), 22 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12320 Members
74 Forums
63375 Topics
443148 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#434277 - 05/10/13 03:50 PM Art Imitates Life Imitates Art
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
TCM ran A Summer Place (1959) last night. As much as I love classic movies, I'd never had any interest in it until I read the "dysfunctional family" description.

I've usually defaulted to Mommy Dearest when describing the adopted Mommybitch - I'm really stuck on this, huh? - whose abuse and self-absorption set me up for my high school guidance counselor perp.

However, in Summer Place, Ken's wife Helen was in some ways an more accurate Mommybitch representation: a wannabe social climber who'd manipulate anything for her own financial gain, under the guise of "concern" for the kid's upbringing, invoking her own twisted judgmental morality. Did I mention she was a virtual sociopath?

Fortunately her daughter (Sandra Dee!), like me, eventually extricates herself, through her own young missteps and rejection by Helen, finding acceptance - faults and all - with her dad and his second wife, not unlike the acceptance I found with my dad and his second wife.

Just putting the interesting observations out there. Any takers? wink

#434279 - 05/10/13 04:11 PM Re: Art Imitates Life Imitates Art [Re: Lancer]
concerned_husky Offline
MaleSurvivor

This has certainly got my interest. I'll watch it and get back to you.

#434311 - 05/10/13 10:56 PM Re: Art Imitates Life Imitates Art [Re: Lancer]
Jude Offline

Loc: New England
Hey Lancer,

Gosh, I remember "A Summer Place" fondly. I SO wanted to be Troy Donahue, sleeping with Sandra Dee and getting her pregnant in the end. Scandalous in 1959!!
But he never betrays what he thinks.
Can you see the real me, doctor?.
The Who

#434352 - 05/11/13 07:57 AM Re: Art Imitates Life Imitates Art [Re: Jude]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Jude
I SO wanted to be Troy Donahue, sleeping with Sandra Dee

You may find this equally shocking Jude. I noticed I had no such inclination towards Troy Donahue...wtf is up with that?

What's surprising to me is that Hollywood was dealing with this stuff in that era...and that the dysfunctional relationships so closely resembled my real life experience and in that era!

#434392 - 05/11/13 07:49 PM Re: Art Imitates Life Imitates Art [Re: Lancer]
Jude Offline

Yeah, sorry. Didn't mean to hijack your thread, or minimize the comparison to your adopted family. I know thats no joke.

Of course A Summer Place had TWO hotties. Just brought back fond memories of Sandra Dee.....like Gidget! Awww there I go again. You can have James Darren, I'll take Sandra Dee.

#434478 - 05/12/13 11:15 AM Re: Art Imitates Life Imitates Art [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

ohgawd, Jude, you know me MUCH better than that. Hijack away!

fwiw, the town to which Mommybitch's H#2 moved us - before he got what $he was about and went back to his first wife - was a small New England town which I swear was the model for "Peyton Place". Easy to see how CSA could happen in that environment. That was another Art Imitates Life Imitates Art movie I forgot to mention. Man, I'm addicted to TCM.

btw, I don't WANT James Darren (you ever see what he looked like in Irwin Allan's "Time Tunnel"?). My vote is still Farley Granger...or "The Incredible Shrinking Man" with blond hottie Grant (perpetual bachelor) Williams

BAD kitty! (Music btw is Love and Rockets "No New Tale to Tell")

#434577 - 05/13/13 04:50 PM Re: Art Imitates Life Imitates Art [Re: Lancer]
Jude Offline

Peyton Place! Lana Turner...Hope Lange....even as a kid I was SO into female movie stars

But he never betrays what he thinks.
Can you see the real me, doctor?.
The Who

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.