Newest Members
Anony_mous, Drew6991x, Miro, jj843, The Abyss
12364 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Bear (42), BoyNoMore (56), Daniel_05 (40), James Landrith (44), john kay (41)
Who's Online
5 registered (woodenshoes, dan_in_newengland, 3 invisible), 21 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12364 Members
74 Forums
63545 Topics
443976 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#423437 - 01/28/13 07:27 AM ADHD
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA

-Signs and traces left in stone
Ruins of a past unknown-

#423799 - 01/30/13 09:18 PM Re: ADHD [Re: Suwanee]
cosmos Offline

Loc: Puget Sound
Will I also was diagíd with ADHD back in the 80ís took ritalin too, happily Iíve been off of pharmaceutical drugs for over 20 years. I think some people are just different, some people have laser-beam focus of thought, but without a real need to focus our attention on, we flounder like a fish out of water, we can only focus on things we deem important or like, not what someone tells us is important. I also wonder if itís an evolved survival skill those that can turn it on no matter what is going on around them; tune it all out except for that thing over there that might hurt us; its needs all our attention. We just arenít like everybody else, compound this with amercian societies need for a ďcookie-cutterĒ approach to education and it just seems to make things worse and our lives hell, so now they give you drugs, wtf; we take the smartest and brightest most creative individuals in our society and drug them up so they can fit their ideas of what we should be into us, what a country we destroy those that can lead the way to a better world by not letting them be themselves.

As to dealing with it I self-medicate; caffeine; not in quantities your thinking about, but imagine waking up in the morning (5am)and drinking a pot of espresso before 10am, thatís what Iím talking about, no cream or sugar either, just black; and continue to imbibe coffee until around 7pm. Even though I no longer drink I still manage to get about 5 hours of sleep a night Itís not a cure all but I think itís so much better than taking god knows what, with whatever side-effects, understand Iíve been in IT for years and 99% of what I do is shear monotony, but the trill and exhilaration of being able to get things working when the shit hits the fan is all worth it, even it means staying up for 3 days, kinda like being a young man in the Navy and being up for weeks.

Cee

T. Paine

#423817 - 01/31/13 12:43 AM Re: ADHD [Re: cosmos]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I have symptoms of ADHD and dyslexia. I believe that they were caused by early abuse. I have never been medicated for these conditions. I'm self-diagnosed. I have had 2 bouts with vision therapy as an adult. I think it helped but it wasn't enough.

These conditions seem to be linked to visual problems I have. Strabismus is the condition of the eye muscles where the 2 eyes don't track correctly.

http://www.geteyesmart.org/eyesmart/diseases/strabismus.cfm

I'm reading a book which talks about ADHD resulting from what goes on in the nervous system of a small child during and after trauma (child sexual abuse). The book is mostly for clinicians so don't run out and buy it:

Psychological Trauma and the Developing Brain, by Phyllis Stien and Joshua Kendall.

http://www.amazon.com/Psychological-Trauma-Developing-Brain-Neurologically/dp/0789017881/

Symptoms resulting from abuse are apparently quite similar to ADHD and often the diagnosis is confused (my word). Traumatic abuse in a small child results in confusion of the neurological traces in the brain.

Puffer

P.S. My dyslexia is getting much better as I read more. However, the ADHD might be getting worse. I have trouble reading music. When I have to count a long rest, I tend to lose track of where I am, and I skip lines (music). It may be that my visual convergence seems to be getting better, but as it does so, the ADHD seems to get worse.

PSS I also have DID. I will respond in a different thread.

Edited by pufferfish (01/31/13 10:59 AM)

#423843 - 01/31/13 08:58 AM Re: ADHD [Re: Suwanee]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Ruins of a past unknown-

#423974 - 02/01/13 09:41 AM Re: ADHD [Re: Suwanee]
didi Offline

Edited by didi (02/01/13 10:36 AM)
Edit Reason: additional info

#423983 - 02/01/13 11:53 AM Re: ADHD [Re: Suwanee]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Ruins of a past unknown-

#425208 - 02/13/13 05:51 PM Re: ADHD [Re: Suwanee]
DRA Offline

Hi Puffer,

I have both ADHD and Dyslexia, along with some other issues. I highly recommend talking with someone about both. There are many ways to help deal with each, some of which may surprise you. For example, some people have a hard time reading off of certain color schemes. Others find it helpful to put tinted transparency films over their papers. Another, that I use, is my reading glasses. I need them to correct my vision but I also have a slight (7%) brown tint on them to help my eyes relax and it works wonders. Feel free to ask me anything about my experience with my LD's and other such things. I'm happy to provide information and stories where I can.

Warm regards,

DRA
Strength in power is a false victory rooted in vapid grandiosity. Strength in character and integrity is the freedom to act righteously irrespective of the surrounding pressure. True power is the presence of mind to live with character and integrity.

#434122 - 05/09/13 09:58 AM Re: ADHD [Re: Suwanee]
TMan1394 Offline

Thanks for the helpful links guys. I've always had focus and concentration problems and was a horrible student until college. I started off the same in college but after a year break I became incredibly focused on studying and finished with a great gpa. Still I've always suffered with being able to pay close attention especially in social situations. No matter how hard I try it takes me at least 5 separate times to remember the name of someone I met. Even someone I really liked I. Will forget their name the second time we see each other the third and on and on. It's embarrassing when someone says hello to me using my name and I say hey man, or hey how's it going. I also have always had trouble being able to hear song lyrics (love music) even in songs I've heard a million times. I got to the point a few years ago where I'd print out music lyrics. Same thin

#434123 - 05/09/13 10:03 AM Re: ADHD [Re: Suwanee]
TMan1394 Offline

Thing with movie and tv quotes a shows I love and have seen over and over. My recent doctor but me on adderall and it helps me focus especially in conversations but not the other stuff. I feel my subconscious was always clouding my mind but even as I've talked about my CSA and another trauma I still struggle and question if I have ADHD. Thanks, T

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.