Newest Members
andrewmartin, Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm, Jennifer Lyons
12251 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
AdawgJR (28), Brian (50), hikerpark (52), Jeremy Welch (47), Logan81 (2014), Olson30 (60), Patrick7958 (56)
Who's Online
3 registered (Bluedogone, 2 invisible), 38 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12251 Members
73 Forums
63104 Topics
441298 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#433848 - 05/07/13 01:51 AM Things kids enjoy.
si Offline

Loc: Utah
I think that sometimes we center our childhoods around the CSA and our childhoods are nothing but CSA. Sorry if saying that offends anyone, but what i'm trying to say is, there must be things that we enjoyed in life when we weren't being abused, even if it was things we used to escape the abuse. I know there were many things I enjoyed, many things that normal kids enjoyed. I think we need to focus on those things we enjoyed and that brought us pleasure while being abused, so that we don't have to view our childhood as this big mess of confusion, guilt, pain, ect.

I loved my SNES
I loved books, especially Harry Potter
I loved my grandma, she is the best!
I loved my grandpa, he was funny and called my "Wizzy" cuz I was smart like a wizard.
I loved my little sister.
I loved when I saw my dad come back from Mexico.
I loved playing at Mcdonalds' play place.
I loved taking baths
I loved Dragon Ball Z
I loved my grandma's trampoline.
I loved tacos and sprite.
I loved Mario kart racing. Luigi and Yoshi were my favorite
I loved wrestling
I loved my teacher Mrs. Capson, she was awesome! and always told me I was a genius!
I loved school, it was so easy for me. I was always a star student.
I LOVED POKEMON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those are just a few things I loved, and that I had in my life while being abused. Though the abuse is a black mark on my childhood, it isn't my childhood. This brief list I just typed is more of my childhood.

Out of curiosity, what else did people have in their childhoods that wasn't abuse, and that they enjoyed? was it your favorite food? Tv show? action figure? a place? clothes? Singer? Tell me, tell MS, but most importantly, Tell yourself what else you had in your childhood, besides the CSA.

#433852 - 05/07/13 04:19 AM Re: Things kids enjoy. [Re: si]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: South-East Europe
Nice thread Si wink
I loved reading comics - I used to daydream on idea of becoming super hero, lol
I loved to read books like crime novels and science fiction
I loved summers - going to sea side was always like adventure, also during summer we would be visiting grandparents that lived in remote village, they kept many animals like cows, chicken, ducks, one goat, rabbits, dogs, sheep...
I loved to go with other kids to swim in nearby river and lake, sometimes we went in secrecy without letting know our parents
I loved when my dad has told us some stories from his youth and school
I loved to eat french fries in huge quantities that my mother would always prepare for us kids
I loved watching documentaries about animals like Survival it meant more tahn life for me to watch it and learn about anture
I loved to hang out with my friends and spend as much time as I could in playing around
I loved playing marbles, cards, monopoly and all other games that we as kids played
I loved winters because of snow, we used to slid trough hilly streets and were always in search for the longest and most exiting sledding trail
I loved dogs that we found on streets and for which we made shelter
I loved school

Those are things that firstly came to my mind but there was more!

Pero

#433856 - 05/07/13 06:44 AM Re: Things kids enjoy. [Re: si]
Farmer Boy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Australia
Si

Great thread!!!

I loved Melissa S. (at 4)
I loved undressing her Barbie dolls, looking at their boobs and making them have s_x (guess that was bad)
I loved my soft toys
I loved marbles
I loved standing on my head
I loved hot chips (french fries - fat ones)
I loved Spaghetti bolognese
I loved meat pies and mashed potatoe and peas
I loved soft fresh white bread - 4 slices at a time
I loved carrots
I loved ice cream
I loved Agro (a puppet kids cartoon show host)
I loved the Muppets and Sesame Street and Fragile Rock
I loved Battle of the Planets (cartoon)
I loved Transformers
I loved Astro boy
I loved Thundercats
I loved Gem
I loved Ulysses 31
I loved Mysterious Cities of Gold
I loved Danger Mouse
I loved Mask
I loved The Smurfs
I loved Voltron (both but the lion force more)
I loved Robotech
I loved He-man and She-ra
(ok that was embarrassing - I watched WAY too much TV)
I loved to sew clothes/designing
I loved to design houses and gardens
I loved to draw and colour in
I loved my horse 'Candy' - Yes I named him - he was a Palomino
I loved my dogs - Spot, Buster I and Buster II
I loved my cat Kitty - she had two litters of kittens in the bottom of my cupboard.
I loved to climb trees
I loved to ride my BMX
I loved Dunlop KT26 shoes - they were blue
I loved roller staking
I loved running around outside roleplaying my favourite cartoons
I loved books but didn't read them
I loved school
I loved Sunday School
I loved performing
I loved the beach and swimming
I loved other peoples houses
I loved to learn
I loved Lego
I loved match box cars
I loved plastic animals
I loved my Transformers action figure - Blaster
I loved my Tree house family

Lee

#433859 - 05/07/13 08:29 AM Re: Things kids enjoy. [Re: si]
SoccerStar Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
More threads like this please smile

I LOVED-LOVED-LOVED dinosaurs! I knew everything about dinosaurs. I had enough dinosaur books that they probably outweighed a small real dinosaur.
Also: sharks! I loved Shark Week
I loved zoos, aquariums, and science museums.
I loved my pet salamanders.
I loved going on whale-watches.
I loved SNES and would have kicked anybody's ass at Street Fighter 2. And I got every secret super-weapon in Final Fantasy 2 and 3.
I loved Transformers and still have hundreds of them.
I loved GIJoe.
I loved M.A.S.K.
I loved Battle Beasts.
I loved Astroboy.
I loved Star Wars.
I loved Tremors.
I loved Akira.
I loved Twice Upon A Time.
I loved Rock & Rule.
I loved DuckTales.
I loved Dangermouse.
I loved Count Duckula.
I loved ShirtTales.
I loved Braingames.
I loved Square One.
I loved the UUUUUUULLLLLTIMATE WAAAARRRRIOR!
I loved Beverly Cleary.
I loved Judy Blume.
I loved Oliver Butterworth.
I loved A Cricket In Times Square.
I loved My Robot Buddy and its sequels.
I loved Bunnicula and its sequels.
I loved Sideways Stories from Wayside School.
I loved the "Something Queer" books.
I loved the T.A.C.K. books.
I loved Incognito Mosquito.
I loved Captain Klutz.
I loved The Fallen Spaceman.
I loved the Tripod books.
I loved The Phantom Tollbooth.
I loved The Monster's Ring.
I loved Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark.
I loved Excalibur - ESPECIALLY Phoenix!

I loved when my parents would take one of my best friends along with us to their beach house in the summer for a week. For a while it was like having a brother and I loved feeling that way.

I loved writing this smile

Matt

"Don't think it hasn't been a little slice of heaven just because it hasn't!" --Bugs Bunny

#433860 - 05/07/13 08:55 AM Re: Things kids enjoy. [Re: si]
Chase Eric Offline
MaleSurvivor

Quote:
what i'm trying to say is, there must be things that we enjoyed in life when we weren't being abused, even if it was things we used to escape the abuse.

The picture in my avatar was taken during the height of my abuse, and I may well have been abused that very night. But my smile speaks to the truth you have said. As kids, we were remarkably more resilient than as the adults we are now, and I think that's easy to forget as we look at our CSA through older eyes. As an adult, I am in awe of how that kid handled everything.

Click my pic to see why I'm here

#433863 - 05/07/13 09:11 AM Re: Things kids enjoy. [Re: si]
csasurvivor1992 Offline

Loc: Texas
interesting take on the good things in life. i think you are right, at least for me. I am in the trenches fighting through the emotional toll that's been getting stronger and stronger as my mechanisms took root, protected me, and have now gotten in the way. fighting through this emotional hell... realizing my childhood wasn't what i thought it was, my present dreams of a tight-knit family crushed.

but you're right. there are parts of me that enjoyed life, even if it was to escape the torture. that's where i see the assimilation happening. I have been dissociated, i believe, since about the age of 12 when all the messages were "you're not doing well enough, try harder..." so i did. i am externally successful and internally in shambles. but i have done those things which have brought me success. that's got to be me, right?

i like your thread because even if our funtivities were to escape abuse, they were still ours. we still enjoyed them.

i liked riding my bike, alone
i liked TV shows (many of them listed)
I liked video games (NES Duck Hunter with the orange gun)
I liked Mario Bros.
I liked tents and sleeping bags
I liked body-surfing at the beach
i liked swimming

Great thread

#433879 - 05/07/13 11:42 AM Re: Things kids enjoy. [Re: si]
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: durham, north england
Great thread indeed si, however one thing I will say is that not just on ms, but in society in general people have this weerd idea that it is wrong for an adult to enjoy things for kids. Well, I still do! indeed as a child who read books on physics and theology (and not kids books), as well as liking to play with figures, and read sf and fantasy novels, watch cartoons like Heman and play computer games.

It also goes with newer stuff. a few weeks ago I went to see a new stage production of James and the Giant peachh, and it was fantastic!

So, I will not talk about things I "loved!" but things I still dam well do!

First off, I actually still have! my Snes, right hear, hooked up to my tv, and I still play games like marrio allstars, the mega man series etc. This is partly logical, since a lot of modern 3D games are too complex for me to handle visually (I hated the release of the playstation), but also because quite honestly the games are just extremely good and well designed!

Heck, the game series I loved most, the Turrican gaes on the amigar have a fantastic net remake that people are still! building levels for today and so not only do I still play the game, but I get to see a lot of new environments and levels and see it do things it would've never done in 1990. Indeed, often I'll see something familiar in one of the newly created Turrican levels, wonder where I've seen it before and then remember that I dreamed it, in a quite literal sense.

As to books, the same applies. for me, it goes reading, oxygen, then everything else, and while I read a lot of adult authors I also read books that I either enjoyed as a child, or would've enjoyed as a child had I been able to get my hands on them at the time, ---- indeed through the internet I'm now able to read far more books by authors who I simply couldn't find stuff by like Dianna Wynn jones, oh, and as to the Tripods series, well I read them again last year, and enjoyed them just for weerdness.

Right now, because I've been recently reading some rather mind mangling sf, I thought I'd have a break and am reading William Horwood's sequals to the wind in the willows!

Tv is mostly the same, indeed as a sort of phd finishing celibration my mum bought me the complete box set of the old dungeons and dragons cartoon , likewise, I still watch doctor who and startrek, ---- heck I even own the disney films on dvd, as well as other films I enjoyed as a child such as Jurassic park toys, the terminator films, the alien films and of course starwars.

While it is true I don't play with action figures anymore, --- I still have a huge collection of statues of fantasy creatures around my flat, including an entire chess set made from characters from the lotr film, ---- indeed the entire works of Tolkien have been something I've loved right from the age of about four onwards. I also realize that now, I no longer need! those action figures simply because what I did with them was create stories. I never used to play with them as the chracters they were meant to be, I always made up new characters, worlds and stories and would use figures from a load of different areas, be that heman, starwars, ghost busters or whatever all together. Now however, I can still make up the stories, I just do it in my head instead!

It's odd actually. I am currently watching again through startrek tng (I'm not a massive trecky, but I enjoy the episodes). Tng always used to get shown at 9.00 at night on sky 1 during the week, so I'd watch it just before going to sleep. I can watch an episode which I know! I first watched after a day of abuse at school, anticipating the same tomorrow, and yet I feel absolutely no kinshipp with the memory, no triggering nothing, since when i was watching startrek I was just! watching startrek.

Same is true of books. i read Cs Lewis sf trilogy while incredibly nasty things happened, indeed I once remember taking my copy and a tape machine to school, locking them in my locker, then spending 20 minutes reading after one of the worst incidents, yet I have reread that series as an adult and thought nothing but of Lewis rather lovely writing.

So yes, I am proud to say that whatever else I do, while i love classical music and study and the rest, I still! do lots of the things I did as a child and I still think they're awsome, ---- and carry on doing them now in fact.

#433977 - 05/07/13 11:55 PM Re: Things kids enjoy. [Re: si]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The ATL

I loved to learn about the planets, stars, the cosmos and space travel.
I loved dinosaurs.
I loved to visit the Peabody Museum in New Haven Ct.
I loved vacationing with my family in Lake Sunapee, NH.
I loved my Atari 2600.
I loved Star Wars.
I loved ET.
I loved The Ghostbusters.
I loved The Neverending Story.
I loved planetariums.
I loved going to Six Flags Over Georgia.
I loved vacationing at my grandfather's condo in Tarpon Springs, FL.
I loved eating lobster as my special birthday meal.
I loved going to pizza buffet restaurants with my family.
I loved my cat Charlie and my dogs Skipper and Lady.
I loved my mom's homemade lasagna.
I loved my mom's homemade mac and cheese.
I loved my dad's homemade chilli.
I loved it when my dad would give me a sip of one of his beers.
I loved eating peanut butter with a spoon.
I loved Charleston Chews.
I loved Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.
I loved getting dressed up for Halloween.
I loved Christmas.
I loved the Tundercats, GI Joe, He Man, The Silverhawks, the Gummi Bears and the Transformers cartoons.
I loved going to Braves games at the old Atlanta Fulton County Stadium. (Even though they sucked every season back then).

#434964 - 05/17/13 01:47 PM Re: Things kids enjoy. [Re: si]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
How did I miss this thread last week?

I loved:

Climbing trees
My Matchbox cars
My grandparents' house
My gandfather's desk and record collection
The smell of freshly cut grass with a hint of gasoline
Playing tackle football
Going to the beach house before the Gulf Coast was over-developed
Spanish Moss
Catching ghost crabs with a little net
The smell of Pine-Sol on a Saturday morning after coming back home for lunch
Riding my Redline BMX bike all over the neighborhood
Swimming in lane 4 during meets
My LL Bean school backpack
Flying First Class when my dad cashed in frequent flyer miles
The last day of school before summer vacation
Feeling invincible in my catcher's gear behind home plate
Bailey, my Labrador retriever
Model airplanes
Watching "Superfiends" and "Schoolhouse Rock" on Saturday morning TV
My GE transistor radio---late night AM radio before all it went to nutty talk radio
Planets, stars, trees, maps, the weather
Skateboarding
Writing poems and short stories
Bing cherries
Sailboats
Hiking in the woods
Going to the airport to pick up my dad
My mom's cornbread
My grandmother's biscuits
Okra

Will

-Signs and traces left in stone
Ruins of a past unknown-

#434975 - 05/17/13 03:02 PM Re: Things kids enjoy. [Re: si]
victor-victim Offline

Loc: O Kanada
i loved books.
i loved movies.
i loved television.
i loved music.
i loved girls.
i loved comics.
i loved board games.
i loved stuffed animals.
i loved candy.
i loved cowboys and indians and cops and robbers and spies and soldiers and sailors and sea-monsters and spacemen and aliens.
i loved the woods, and the mountains, and the stars.
i loved the sun.
i loved my self.
i loved attention.
i never stopped.
i loved my roller-coaster life of adventure, delusion and danger.

that arrogant little @$$hole that was the street kid survivor in me may only have been a product of imagination and ego, but that false pride was enough to get me through some hard times.
so i guess i love that little brat too.

similar happy childhood thread here:
http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=432306#Post432306

War
Love
Poetry

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.