Newest Members
andrewmartin, Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm, Jennifer Lyons
12251 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
AdawgJR (28), Brian (50), hikerpark (52), Jeremy Welch (47), Logan81 (2014), Olson30 (60), Patrick7958 (56)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 49 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12251 Members
73 Forums
63105 Topics
441302 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#433349 - 05/03/13 12:08 AM Re: The Cant update [Re: cant_remember]
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hello, David Mac.

Welcome to MS and thank you for commenting. I totally get what you're saying about getting triggered by older men paying *too* much attention to us. And thank you for your prayers.

Uncle Puffer, the monastery you're describing sounds more like the Trappists than the Jesuits, and the Trappists are certainly not my speed. They wake up at 3 AM and pray 7 times a day, live with a vow of silence, and make cheese or beer or wine, which explains the grape vineyards you saw, if they were indeed Trappists.

We have a famous Trappist monastery nearby, where Thomas Merton lived and is buried. I go there occasionally and have done a retreat there, but that's not my speed. Jesuits are teachers and adventurers for Christ. That's what I might sign up for.

I've had some good news today in my life this week, so I feel pretty good in the grand scheme of things at the moment.

And in a moment of synchronicity, I learned through a priest friend of mine that there's a Jesuit novice currently in town on a "pilgrimage." Basically, the novice master sent a dozen young Jesuits out across the country on the bus with less than $50 in their pockets for them to find work and shelter and make their way to some destination at some point. I'm going to try to meet him for lunch and talk to him about the novitiate.

I love my MS brothers; all of you.

Cant

Edited by cant_remember (05/03/13 12:12 AM)

#433353 - 05/03/13 12:42 AM Re: The Cant update [Re: cant_remember]
DavoSwim Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Iowa, USA
Can't
I congratulate you on your decision. The religious orders need good men to join their ranks. Your decision to join, knowing that the Catholic church is taking a beating, and deservedly so, for the abuse scandal shows how strong your faith is and that you believe it is the life for you. Your history will serve you well. Not only will it aid you in your ministry, but hopefully it will be a cause of yours to rid the church of the filth who have perpetuated these crimes on boys. I was raised a Catholic, and still practice faithfully. I was abused by a priest at age 11. I could have easily lost my faith and I understand completely those who do, and I don't judge them. I have been lucky, in my opinion to feel that the church is stronger than any one priest. The church needs good men and I wish you well.

DavO

#433383 - 05/03/13 11:14 AM Re: The Cant update [Re: cant_remember]
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

((((( Davo )))))

I'm sorry what happened to you.

A few years ago I met a priest who was himself abused by a priest as a boy. He said he became a priest to prove to himself that it could be done the right way. He's been an inspiration to me.

Thanks for your kind words.

Cant

#433514 - 05/04/13 01:35 PM Re: The Cant update [Re: cant_remember]
pufferfish Online   embarrased
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Cant

..Sorry I responded incorrectly to your plea the first time.

This is just an idea... Why don't you pull together one or more books on a quicker subject, such as genetic manipulation of food and the American diet or something. Or, the legalization of pot.

Puffer

#433517 - 05/04/13 02:18 PM Re: The Cant update [Re: cant_remember]
David Mac Offline

Loc: Pacific North West
Hey Cant,

When do you think you will hear back from the Jesuits? Are there any other options - Franciscans, diocesians,etc., that you may be considering? Whose your favorite saint?

Mac

#433575 - 05/04/13 11:06 PM Re: The Cant update [Re: David Mac]
pufferfish Online   embarrased
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Hey Cant

Here's a subject for you to write about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehwFVgQ82ZY

What are the effects of abuse on succeeding generations? You might use data from survivors here to come up with some ideas.

Or, to come at the subject from the other way around, What possible effects on our abuse were associated with elements of the life-style of our grandparents and parents?

The implications are enormous. Some foundation would probably make you a grant recipient. That would cover your needs. The project would keep you busy and you would have plenty of opportunity to interview your subjects.

You don't have to be an expert in genetics. Or, if you need input from somebody with genetics experience, I have taught the subject on the college level about 10 times.

Puffer

Edited by pufferfish (05/04/13 11:35 PM)

#433597 - 05/05/13 05:41 AM Re: The Cant update [Re: cant_remember]
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

David Mac,

I don't think diocesan clergy life is for me. No offense to them, but I don't need to be tied down to a parish. That's not my calling. I'm drawn to the Jesuits because of their history with academics and adventurism. And the Franciscans? I'm not sure about those guys. Maybe brown isn't my color.

Puffer, we can talk about possible projects like that privately, but I think I already have a new project moving forward that could include this topic that we all have in common.

#433794 - 05/06/13 05:03 PM Re: The Cant update [Re: cant_remember]
David Mac Offline

smile Hey, brown is a great color if you have yellow teeth.

I was wondering if you have any back up plans should the Jesuits decline your application.

Mac

#433799 - 05/06/13 05:45 PM Re: The Cant update [Re: cant_remember]
David Mac Offline

What is EMDR?

Mac

#433800 - 05/06/13 05:46 PM Re: The Cant update [Re: cant_remember]
David Mac Offline

What is EMDR?

Mac

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.