Newest Members
Jerone, teba, Serpenta, mojo, James M
12114 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
archie chisholm (61), Carlos418 (37), courtney (52), kurotake (55), lostsoul (63), Lukesgirl (28), michael banks (2014), Steffon (42)
Who's Online
4 registered (Jim1961, 3 invisible), 37 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12114 Members
73 Forums
62510 Topics
438087 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#433645 - 05/05/13 07:28 PM Australian Commission into Child Sexual Abuse
Farmer Boy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Australia
While it remains to be seen if anything happens to change the way abuse in institutions is handled in the future, this is a huge step forward for survivors of sexual abuse in Australia.

Some words from our Prime Minister (I guess she isn't all bad)

Originally Posted By: Prime Minister Julia Gillard
"What I want to achieve out of the royal commission is twofold: for the survivors of child sexual abuse, I want this to be a moment of healing, for us to say to them as a nation 'we hear you, you're valued and you're believed' because for too long, so many of these survivors have just run in to closed doors and closed minds," she said.

"And second, I want the royal commission to provide for us recommendations about the future.

"We've let children down in the past as a country - we need to learn what we can do as a nation to better protect our children in the future."

Here is a new article if you want to find out more:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-04-03/royal-commission-into-child-sexual-abuse-begins/4606994

Lee

#433671 - 05/06/13 12:09 AM Re: Australian Commission into Child Sexual Abuse [Re: Farmer Boy]
JayBro Offline

Loc: Germany
I wonder if the commission will be taking input from experts on and survivors from CSA? It would be neat to write her a letter thanking her for this initiative and perhaps voicing a hoped outcome! smile

#433673 - 05/06/13 12:35 AM Re: Australian Commission into Child Sexual Abuse [Re: Farmer Boy]
Farmer Boy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Australia
They are talking about interviewing up to 5000 victims and allowing an hour for each to tell there story. They will be providing support servises for the victims in preparation for their testimonies.

That is pretty impressive I think.

#433676 - 05/06/13 01:11 AM Re: Australian Commission into Child Sexual Abuse [Re: Farmer Boy]
JayBro Offline

Loc: Germany
wow!! It totally is!! That's quite commendable of Gillard's government. It is also quite important because it is giving the issue into the public, deflating the taboo of victims speaking out and seeking acceptance, support, and help. Is there any particular element that ties into the CSA experienced by Aboriginal children in residential schools, foster programmes etc during the 20th century?

#434913 - 05/17/13 01:07 AM Re: Australian Commission into Child Sexual Abuse [Re: Farmer Boy]
victor-victim Offline

Loc: O Kanada
this seems like such great news.
we need this in every country.

do we dare hope that it will make a significant difference?
i do.

War
Love
Poetry

#456587 - 12/11/13 02:25 AM Re: Australian Commission into Child Sexual Abuse [Re: Farmer Boy]
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
I started writing up my submission for the Royal Commission today. I've been thinking about it for many months, but this weekend I realized that I needed to write it all out so it's in the public record. I was afraid to tell the Catholic Church what happened to me, because they have been brutalizing survivors to damage their credibility, and because the church is so hostile to gay men that I was justifiably concerned I'd be re-traumatized by their homophobia and them citing the "gay blood libel".

I got two pages written and edited today and I'm hoping to do the same amount tomorrow. My perpetrator who has never been named before will be named in the Royal Commission.

-efm

Everybody here's got a story to tell
Everybody's been through their own hell
There's nothing too special about getting hurt
Getting over it, that takes the work

- "Duck and Cover" by Glen Phillips

#456588 - 12/11/13 02:42 AM Re: Australian Commission into Child Sexual Abuse [Re: Farmer Boy]
victor-victim Offline

Loc: O Kanada
this is good news.
i commend you on your decision to action.

your voice will be heard.

if the one in six statistic is true,
there are over a billions survivors out there.

can you imagine the sound of one billions voices?

War
Love
Poetry

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.