Newest Members
jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady, uvagrad4
12501 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
innocence (60), pablo999 (53)
Who's Online
2 registered (Shyshark, 1 invisible), 16 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12501 Members
74 Forums
64185 Topics
447890 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#433627 - 05/05/13 04:26 PM Spicy food?
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

OK,

Kind of a shot in the dark here, but I've been thinking about how the abuse has affected my internal brain chemistry and my apparent need to jack up my internal opioid production -- and,

I'm a big fan of spicy food: hot sauce, jalapeņos, red pepper flakes, you name it. Maybe not every meal or every day, but my tolerance for spicy food is certainly above average as is my desire for it.

Spicy food causes pain, and thus causes the brain to generate endogenous opioids, like endorphins.

In the summer, I make homemade salsa and mango chow, which is sliced mangos and scotch bonnet peppers and not for rookies (but so so delicious if you can handle the pain).

So, anyone else?

Cant

#433628 - 05/05/13 04:33 PM Re: Spicy food? [Re: cant_remember]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
I was always that kid who would take a bite out of a hot pepper just to see how hot it really was. I still like the hot stuff...Scotch Bonnet...Thai Birdseye Chili, Habanero....Sriracha sauce on just about anything...hot homemade BBQ sauce.

We also make homemade salsa...two batches--mine, and the one for everyone else.

Will

Edited by Suwanee (05/05/13 04:36 PM)

-Signs and traces left in stone
Ruins of a past unknown-

#433629 - 05/05/13 04:37 PM Re: Spicy food? [Re: cant_remember]
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

Maybe we should trade some recipes? Here's a link to mango chow, but anyone who has made his own salsa will realize it's just mango salsa:

http://www.grouprecipes.com/4745/trinidadian-mango-chow.html

Cant

#433630 - 05/05/13 04:47 PM Re: Spicy food? [Re: cant_remember]
Farmer Boy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Australia
I am the polar opposite - my tolerance for spicy food is certainly below average as is my desire for it.

I just CAN NOT tolerate really spicy food. Mild is ok. If I am at a restuarant and a menu item has a 'heat rating' then it is definitely NOT for me.

I love food and I just can't see the point of putting myself through pain to have it. I am a wuss. Most of my friends are like you guys but I just don't get it.

I can't even handle 'hot' (temperature) foods. I guess I just have a sensitive mouth. Is there something in that??? IDK.

Lee

#433631 - 05/05/13 05:31 PM Re: Spicy food? [Re: cant_remember]
Shyshark Online   sad

Loc: Canada
I'm with you Farmer ...

I can take a fair amount of spicy, but the extreme stuff ... no.

My whole family practically eats and drinks things the second it stops bubbling.

I can't.

They tease me about what a wuss I am and routinely take my portion ...

like a bowl of chilli ... out before everyone else's.

Otherwise they are finished before I have been able to begin.

HHHMMMM ...

Exactly how this is related to CSA would probably keep a team of researchers

a lifetime to figure out.

#433633 - 05/05/13 06:23 PM Re: Spicy food? [Re: cant_remember]
Poorsoft Offline

Same as the Shy & Farmer - I have 0 tolerance to spicy food.

#433638 - 05/05/13 07:03 PM Re: Spicy food? [Re: cant_remember]
Chase Eric Offline
MaleSurvivor

Love cooking Cajun cuisine. I often have to ramp it down to Creole recipes, though, since my partner hates trigeminal pain.

Click my pic to see why I'm here

#433644 - 05/05/13 07:27 PM Re: Spicy food? [Re: cant_remember]
Life's A Dream Offline

Loc: Bouvet Island
Originally Posted By: cant_remember
OK,

Kind of a shot in the dark here, but I've been thinking about how the abuse has affected my internal brain chemistry and my apparent need to jack up my internal opioid production -- and,

I'm a big fan of spicy food: hot sauce, jalapeņos, red pepper flakes, you name it. Maybe not every meal or every day, but my tolerance for spicy food is certainly above average as is my desire for it.

Spicy food causes pain, and thus causes the brain to generate endogenous opioids, like endorphins.

In the summer, I make homemade salsa and mango chow, which is sliced mangos and scotch bonnet peppers and not for rookies (but so so delicious if you can handle the pain).

So, anyone else?

Cant

Cant, remember that you are on naltrexone, which blocks opioids. You, no doubt, have a deficit of your own natural endorphins (short for "endogenous [meaning made by your own body] morphine"). I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't know.

Edited by Life's A Dream (05/05/13 07:28 PM)

#433646 - 05/05/13 07:31 PM Re: Spicy food? [Re: Poorsoft]
Life's A Dream Offline

Loc: Bouvet Island
Originally Posted By: Poorsoft
Same as the Shy & Farmer - I have 0 tolerance to spicy food.

LOW tolerance to pain. For some reason, with trauma survivors, from what I've read in the literature, it goes one of two ways: you become indifferent to pain, or you become hypersensitive to it. I'm in the latter category, myself. Well, sort of. If I am having VERY strong dissociation I can cut myself up with a boxcutter and feel nothing.

On the more specific category of spicy food, I can no longer tolerate it just because of my horrible acid reflux disease. I used to love the "Ragin' Cajun" at Red Robin, and pizza loaded with jalapeņos (hit alt + 0-2-4-1 for the "ņ"). Can't do it anymore. But I've always been a coward when it comes to pain. I remember my dad (who is a second degree black-belt, and was a karate instructor for young boys) would teach me karate, my eyes would start watering and I'd start crying before he'd even touched me. My god, I ramble.

Edited by Life's A Dream (05/05/13 07:36 PM)

#433648 - 05/05/13 07:50 PM Re: Spicy food? [Re: cant_remember]
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks, LAD.

My high tolerance for spicy food existed well before my naltrexone use, which hasn't done much of anything to me except make me overly drowsy and nauseous if I take too much.

Not sure why I'm on it other than in faith that it will help the EDMR.

Cant

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.