Newest Members
jahfree, Daryl X., tryintothrive, BCtejas, JHNebraska
12494 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mrwhiskers (25), SouthernLaw (41), TerryT (61)
Who's Online
7 registered (A74, iaccus, Obi, myrlin, derrick, 1 invisible), 16 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12494 Members
74 Forums
64159 Topics
447740 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#433463 - 05/04/13 04:07 AM tapping?
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
has anyone ever heard of - or better yet - tried "tapping" or EFT - Emotional Freedom Technique? Nick Ortner apparently has pioneered and/or popularized it and has written a book -

http://www.wellandgoodnyc.com/2013/04/28/tapping-the-new-way-to-deal-with-stress-and-anxiety/#

there are also a lot of quoted promoting it on Amazon -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1401939414/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1401939414&linkCode=as2&tag=welcom03a-20%22%3EThe%20Tapping%20Solution:%20A%20Revolutionary%20System%20for%20Stress-Free%20Living%3C/a%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=welcom03a-20&l=as2&o=1&a=1401939414

but is it all just advertising and PR and hype?

i'd love to hear about it if you know anything!
lee

Edited by traveler (05/04/13 06:07 AM)
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#433472 - 05/04/13 06:56 AM Re: tapping? [Re: traveler]
Poorsoft Offline

Oh yes, I have indeed.

Theres a vast increase on these types of therapies; which are often tested under bias conditions.

Modern health services in the western world, especially free or low cost services are obsessed with finding the quickest, cheapest and most effective treatments available. This is exactly the reason why the United Kingdoms National Healrth Service has more or less out right adopted Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, as it's one of the only therapies that can be tied in with statistics, thus they can prove it's "effectiveness". Therapies like EFT, NLP and CBT will come and go.

The thing with the tappin therapy is; you really have to believe it in order for it to work and from what I've read and seen; it seems as if it's just a mixture gesalt techniques adopted into a new-age like therapy.

The truth is, these things will come and go and if you wish to dabble in it; please do and let me know how it goes. It will work for some and not for others; it really depends on the individual.

Personally, I believe anxiety and stress are things that require a good conversation with the right person (not neccasarly a T), rather than a set of finger taps at certain points of the body.

#433484 - 05/04/13 08:01 AM Re: tapping? [Re: traveler]
SoccerStar Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
"You really have to believe in it in order for it to work."

Then it doesn't work. Anything based off self-suggestion is indistinguishable from the placebo effect.

As Monty Python would say - "scam, scam, scam, scam, scam, eggs, and scam."

"Don't think it hasn't been a little slice of Heaven just because it hasn't!" --Bugs Bunny

#433500 - 05/04/13 10:09 AM Re: tapping? [Re: SoccerStar]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: SoccerStar
"You really have to believe in it in order for it to work."

Well, Lee, whatever works, right? However, I'll agree with SoccerStar on this one. I did a little digging and Ortner's associated with Hay House, Louise Hay, who made tons of money off the HIV/AIDS community in the late 80s-early 90s with self-help books and tapes. Primarily it created a small army of sheeple who touted her as a guru. In this case I'd say "birds of a feather". Sounds like hype.

Not unlike the late pop psychologist Rob Eichberg of "The Experience Weekend" who would, in a carefully contrived performance, surround himself with big, pretty, to-die-for SoCal muscleboys whose job it was to convince you to spend more money. My ex and I attended a couple introductory sessions. The gullible ex went and spent the money on what turned out to be close to a pyramid scheme (investigated by several AGs). Eichberg died of AIDS in '95, the ex in '02...and I'm STILL here<---waaaay off topic.

I'd proceed with caution, especially if money is involved.

And, oh, I can't resist a Star Trek reference on similar - "plexing" (which actually works, if you believe in it):
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Plexing

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.