Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
almostdonew/life (39), barelysurviving (45), bigbob20 (69), billyp (65), Shawv (70), TheTwoOfUs (43)
Who's Online
2 registered (JW1230, BraveFalcon), 31 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12420 Members
74 Forums
63772 Topics
445343 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#431919 - 04/21/13 02:46 AM Re: A 'Friend' [Re: concerned_husky]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
husky -

i don't know if it is DID or not - but your friend sounds wonderful - exactly the kind of friend i'd love to have. and no need to be afraid of him - because i think he is YOU.

it sounds to me like all the best attributes that you value and haven't been able to find in others - you are cultivating them in your self. it is a good thing if you think of it that way. you have probly seen the friend as a separate "person" because you haven't been able to accept yourself in such a positive light. but remember - you called him a "friend" - so believe that he is on your side!

Lee
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#431920 - 04/21/13 03:34 AM Re: A 'Friend' [Re: concerned_husky]
Jude Offline

Loc: New England
I had an "alter" for many years. He was the good me. The one I let the world see. The smart, successful guy who always did the right thing.

Then there was the bad me. The one I kept hidden. The victim of sexual abuse. The lying, cheating, drunken, hypersexual, unfaithful, mentally ill, thief. The guy who only cared about himself, and lived in fear that he'd be found out and hated.

I tortured myself over which was the real me. My T tells me that both are me and I just have to integrate them together to make peace between them. Confusing.

Jude
I get a little bit closer to feeling fine.
Sheryl Crow

#431947 - 04/21/13 01:42 PM Re: A 'Friend' [Re: concerned_husky]
concerned_husky Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks for the responses again, guys. It was a bit triggering for me as a lot of memories came rushing back...your responses and thoughts have really really helped. I've thought about and read into this a bit, and I've decided I *might* have a mild version of DID but that this friend I've created is probably a 'symbol' (to borrow your words, Jacob) more than a separate entity. Quite happy to have him around smile

Husky

#431960 - 04/21/13 03:20 PM Re: A 'Friend' [Re: concerned_husky]
Jacob S Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: one foot out the door
Originally Posted By: concerned_husky
Quite happy to have him around smile

Husky

That's wonderful.

#432537 - 04/26/13 02:51 PM Re: A 'Friend' [Re: concerned_husky]
focusedbody Offline

Loc: NY
Hey, Husky.

I think it's interesting that you have this place to go to. Although I think it is a sign of health as well, in my case I have found it helpful to talk more in depth with someone about these kind of things.

Here's why: when I was in my late twenties, a voice started speaking to me. I took the voice to be that of a friend of mine who had died. I went to a psychic and it was all kind of downhill from there.

It has been many years since then, and now I realize that like Jacob said, it's more important to view the alter personality as a "symbol" of something. Yet finding out all of what it symbolizes can be difficult.

It has taken me a lot of work to put together what this dead friend meant to me and to work to understand the meaning of her life in my life. I had to go through so much difficulty and confusion for many years just to get to the place where I would make peace with the part of me that was "creating" her voice. There is a lot of pain in accepting what had come apart inside, but it is worth it to have more of me back in the driver's seat and have the peace of understanding myself better.

I also wanted you to know that I understand some of the pain around dependency. Although I am not actually dependent on my mother, it is definitely is something that comes up in our relationship. Some of it is in the past, but some of it is also in present family dynamics. While I understand your frustration in wanting your independence, I for one have found it helpful to get the entire picture--dependency and covert incest--before taking deliberate action to do anything on my own. The reason for this is that for us who have been in this kind of situation, the very thought of being independent can carry another negative connotation. In my case, it gives my mother one more reason to get turned on by me!!!!!! Yep, that's how it is. As awful as it sounds, I have found it helpful to go very slowly, step by step, so that I know what I am feeling at each point. That way I know more in my bones what it means to grow.

That's my two cents. Take it or leave it and I wish you the best in every case.

Focused

#432663 - 04/27/13 06:59 PM Re: A 'Friend' [Re: concerned_husky]
concerned_husky Offline
MaleSurvivor

Focused, can relate to both points - about the 'friend', and issues with the mother.

A bit off-topic I guess, but my ex was well into this psychic, past-lives kind of thing and it did some real damage to my sense of logic...it took quite a lot of time to recover mentally for sure.

I can also understand what you mean about taking things slowly. I think you know from my post a few weeks earlier about 'forgiveness'...I had tried the karate-chop method trying to do things abruptly and it ended up being some sort of mental bombshell. The dependency and the covert incest - I think it's so difficult because it's after all the person who gave birth to you. It's just so crazy. There might be some sort of biological/genetic thing inside us that wants to love our parents unconditionally, but that I think also comes at the expense of emotional and mental health...recipes for a vicious cycle.

#433137 - 05/01/13 09:08 AM Re: A 'Friend' [Re: concerned_husky]
focusedbody Offline

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By: concerned_husky
There might be some sort of biological/genetic thing inside us that wants to love our parents unconditionally, but that I think also comes at the expense of emotional and mental health...recipes for a vicious cycle.

Husky:

Love that is unconditional is true love.

But unconditional does not mean annihilation of another. That is what I have finally admitted deep into my veins and bones. To look this kind of action in the face is to breathe into the hell of trauma and loss.

No mother wants their child to be damaged. But inadvertently they can set this into motion. I think it is loving to find a way back to zero, as the man leads the boy back to where he began and begins to undo the harm.

More like judo than karate....

Focused

#433478 - 05/04/13 07:37 AM Re: A 'Friend' [Re: concerned_husky]
concerned_husky Offline
MaleSurvivor

"But unconditional does not mean annihilation of another. That is what I have finally admitted deep into my veins and bones. To look this kind of action in the face is to breathe into the hell of trauma and loss."

Thanks for your insight focusedbody, I can really relate to this. 'Annihilation' is a really great word to describe what's happened (...happening?).

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.