Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueturtle (46), David C (40), DavidC (40), Derdlecar (61), Hector (54)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63366 Topics
443084 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#432798 - 04/28/13 11:24 PM 1st visit to therapist
kann Offline

Hi all, very scared,,, going to 1st visit to therapist...wish me luck....

#432799 - 04/28/13 11:33 PM Re: 1st visit to therapist [Re: kann]
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hello, Kann.

Welcome to MS. As we say: we're sorry you need to be here, but we're happy you found us.

Try not to be afraid of going into therapy. Part of you has made the right choice to make the appointment. Go with that feeling. Start slow and tell the therapist what you can.

Also, ask questions, like: Have you worked with survivors of sex abuse before? Have you worked with male survivors? etc.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Cant

#432801 - 04/28/13 11:38 PM Re: 1st visit to therapist [Re: kann]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
kann -
this is a good step - even though it feels scary, dangerous and vulnerable.
but it was the BEST decision i ever made relating to my issues and recovery.
i believe it will be a positive thing for you, too.
lee
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#432820 - 04/29/13 06:18 AM Re: 1st visit to therapist [Re: kann]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: South-East Europe
Hang on Kann,
there is no need to feel scared. That is easy to say as I've been scared too when visiting my T for the first time but really there wasn't any reason for it.
It is the first step in development of specific relationship where trust and honesty are tvery important so some time is needed.
I wish you all the best and don't forget to tell us how was it wink

Pero

#432839 - 04/29/13 10:37 AM Re: 1st visit to therapist [Re: kann]
bodyguard8367 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: ""
""

Edited by bodyguard8367 (02/26/14 11:08 PM)

#432842 - 04/29/13 10:55 AM Re: 1st visit to therapist [Re: kann]
csasurvivor1992 Offline

Loc: Texas
kann, i was scared too before my first T session. i was scared of what may change, what i would have to give up, everything. it was scary. took me four years to build up the courage.

after i went, i realized that nothing had to change if i didn't want it to. i could go as fast or slow as i was ready to do. it was quite awesome actually.

i think you'll find that as you talk to a professional, you'll start to figure out what is true for you and what is abuse-induced conclusions. as you start to deconstruct those things, you'll want to change things... sort of like a natural next step.

but that takes time. as the others have said, just be honest, and that includes being honest about what you are ready to share and not ready to share. your T should be a great advocate for you.

good luck brother. anxious to hear your thoughts afterwards!

#432928 - 04/29/13 09:11 PM Re: 1st visit to therapist [Re: kann]
kann Offline

1st not to good with words and stuff, but just came back from 1st T, and we talked,,, it's actually the 1st time I said those words out loud to another human being... don't talk to good either.lol... t ask about feelings and stuff, kind of hard when you don't have feelings. I don't feel any different as before,, but its a start...

#432934 - 04/29/13 09:34 PM Re: 1st visit to therapist [Re: kann]
Candu Offline

Loc: Canada
I find I have feelings but I just feel them and don't think of them. So when they ask me what I'm feeling the answer often is "I don't know". And than I was asked to think of feeling sad, or some other feeling, and then to describe it. And I can't pull the feeling up. I can't imagine it. It comes when it comes and then its gone. So I'm trying to think of how the feelings feel when they happen. But its hard for me.

So I'm sure you have feelings but like me you might be having trouble identifying or describing them.

#432951 - 04/29/13 10:26 PM Re: 1st visit to therapist [Re: kann]
kann Offline

Aint that the truth, I laugh once in awhile at Jon Stewart, tear up at the stupist things, most of the time just in a daze,,, still looking for something...

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.