Newest Members
journey4two, VASurvivor, jayceemac, rwolf, FindingNemo
12328 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alicia (55), bubblytam (56), crazydragon (39), JGag78 (36), kris82 (32), Shin (28)
Who's Online
8 registered (Esposa, Obi, journey4two, Bluedogone, GT13568, 1 invisible), 20 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12328 Members
74 Forums
63399 Topics
443269 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#431866 - 04/20/13 02:42 PM A 'Friend'
concerned_husky Offline
MaleSurvivor

This might come off slightly insane, and I really haven't admitted this to anyone in full detail, but a few years ago, I had created a 'friend'. I hate calling him imaginary, because...well, he's *not* in many ways. He's always there, unlike other friends. I even have a name for him, but I can't get myself to share it yet. I think he's the culmination of all the little but overwhelmingly positive memories I have had through human contact. At times when I'm triggered, or when I'm having a tough time, I talk to him. And he talks back, we have an inner dialogue. I had written down a list of his characteristics (maybe a year ago), and what he does for me, and I still pull out that list sometimes - I thought I'd share it here.

Characteristics:
-sincere
-unaffected
-genuine
-kind
-loyal
-frank
-tough
-strong
-courageous
-brave
-disciplined
-mature
-encouraging
-lively
-smart
-intelligent
-positive
-VITAL
-confident
-protective
-uplifting
-spiritual
-spirited
-adventurous
-sharp
-thoughtful
-bright
-knowledgeable
-understanding
-trustworthy
-compassionate
-true
-respectful
-outdoor-loving
-loving
-loved
-kind
-sympathetic
-delicate
-dynamic
-energetic
-warm
-considerate
-sensible
-sensitive
-athletic
-artistic
-perceptive
-assertive
-mature
-pure
-happy
-masculine
-boyish
-manly
-funny
-reserved, but open to me
-independent
-secure
-healthy
-playful
-honest
-transparent
-elegant
-noble
-natural
-active
-curious
-virtuous
-motivated
-straightforward
-galvanizing
-genuinely interested in me, about what I feel, what I think

What he does: asks how I feel; asks what I'm thinking; is curious about me; loves me as a human being; encourages me; lifts up my spirits; gives me hope and confidence; boosts my self-esteem; gives me some sense of belonging; gives me strength and self-belief; motivates me; shares activities with me; defends and protects me; appreciates, approves and praises when necessary; (more imagination now) calls me up, asks how I'm doing; fish, travel and hike together; hugs me; pets me; pats me on my back or shoulders; talks about life over a campfire

What he doesn't do: lie, manipulate, forebode, disrespect, force, intimidate, ignore, self-impose

Edited by concerned_husky (04/20/13 02:42 PM)

#431867 - 04/20/13 03:21 PM " [Re: concerned_husky]
lbcali1978 Offline
MaleSurvivor

"

Edited by lbcali1978 (04/29/13 12:33 AM)

Come home

I said

I'm confused and alone

They said

We understand

I found out they don't

I'll walk the path exactly how I've always done it

Alone

#431871 - 04/20/13 04:28 PM Re: A 'Friend' [Re: concerned_husky]
concerned_husky Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks lbcali. Never thought of it as DID before actually, will have to look into that. If it is, I guess integrating is the next step...

Husky

#431874 - 04/20/13 04:55 PM Re: A 'Friend' [Re: concerned_husky]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Yep,

It sounds like DID. We had a recent thread on this subject, and we have had a bunch of them in the past.

http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthr...1274#Post431274

I am still sorting mine out. I have 2 music "ones". Maybe more. One of them listens to classical music and memorizes stretches of it and then plays it back in my own mind at the original tempo and pitch and instrumentation. Another performs when I play my horn. I have also had some who were "substitute teachers" for me. One like Carl Sagan (I'm sorry, I know that's presumptions), and some others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnURElCzGc0

http://www.carlsagan.com/

And I used to have about 8 inner children. In addition a 12-year-old boy who bore the memory and feelings of being tortured and abused.

Puffer

Edited by pufferfish (04/20/13 05:01 PM)

#431875 - 04/20/13 05:01 PM Re: A 'Friend' [Re: concerned_husky]
concerned_husky Offline
MaleSurvivor

This is going to take a while to sink in. Thanks for the link, puffer. I'm on it already.

#431876 - 04/20/13 05:25 PM Re: A 'Friend' [Re: concerned_husky]
newground Offline
Chatroom Moderator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: michigan
hey husky
Im not sure about did but I have another too. I wish he was like yours but he is the opposite. I never tried to find his name or even give a damn about him cause he only ever caused me pain! he is the violent one, he is the one that drives me to go to the park and tempt fate, or do other things. I think about integration too but there is such fear of him. he is so angry but he is a kid and I never allow him to be in charge. and when he does break out ... it is not good for me.
Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. let me then tow to pieces, while still chasing thee, thou damned whale! Thus, I give up the spear!"
Herman Melville

#431877 - 04/20/13 05:30 PM Re: A 'Friend' [Re: concerned_husky]
concerned_husky Offline
MaleSurvivor

I can relate newground. There's definitely something similar to 'that' in me too. I've never admitted as such, and I manage to keep 'him' under control most of the time. The possibility of having DID has been pretty triggering, even though it's been only the last 15 minutes or so. The more I think of it the more it seems true, and for the first time in a while I'm really scared.

#431883 - 04/20/13 06:15 PM Re: A 'Friend' [Re: concerned_husky]
theIrregular Offline

Loc: Canada
Hey Husky,
For the past month or so, I've been considering that idea. To 'create' someone. Mine would have only one trait - acceptance. No matter what happens, he would be there to pick me up and say, "It's ok! I love you no matter what!" I honestly believe it's not DID, because, to me, it's a conscious choice. And the urge stemmed from being lonely and feeling judged over the littlest things (most of the judging comes from within, mind you). I realize I need a friend who will battle some of my thoughts and perceptions. After looking at your list, I am thinking about giving him a few more qualities. And the wierdest thing is, I am not the least bit afraid to 'admit his existence' to others. If I have a hard time standing up for myself, I can defer to him. Whenever I need protection, he'll stand guard. He'll have a way of thinking that's different from my own conditioned responses.
Anyways, I'm absolutely for the idea.

#431885 - 04/20/13 06:53 PM " [Re: theIrregular]
lbcali1978 Offline
MaleSurvivor

"

Edited by lbcali1978 (04/29/13 12:34 AM)

Come home

I said

I'm confused and alone

They said

We understand

I found out they don't

I'll walk the path exactly how I've always done it

Alone

#431900 - 04/20/13 10:42 PM Re: A 'Friend' [Re: concerned_husky]
Jacob S Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: concerned_husky
Thanks lbcali. Never thought of it as DID before actually, will have to look into that. If it is, I guess integrating is the next step...

Husky

Don't jump too quickly to integration. If you guys are happy as is, no point removing that support just to fit into conventional frameworks. Integration is a good route for those who find themselves less fulfilled by being split, but in my case my life has been enriched by having a team.

Also, as far as whether or not it is DID . . . No one can diagnose you over a computer of course, but there is a difference between having another identity in your body and just having a system of self-support. A separate identity has his own motivations, own belief systems, and own likes and dislikes. He does not exist merely to make you feel better but also has his own emotional needs. A separate identity would not be able to lift you up all the time without having needs of his own that would have to be looked at.

What you have, Husky, sounds wonderful. To me (and again no one will be able to tell you definitively from across a computer screen), it sounds more like the self-love part of yourself manifesting itself. That's great and there's actually nothing dissociative about that. Dissociation is about part of yourself being somewhere else. This sounds more like just choosing to look at yourself with a different perspective.

There's nothing wrong with having DID. There's nothing wrong with not having it. I guess what I'm concerned about is understanding that solutions be geared toward actual problems. You don't need to integrate if its not causing you stress.

I have DID. Several of us have merged with others so our system is much smaller (edit: I should say simpler, "smaller" makes it seem like the merges made us weaker when they really made us stronger)than it used to be. But its really a case by case thing. And it is SO important to recognize the difference between a symbol and a person. A symbol represents something in your life, and sometimes it helps yo imagine yourself talking to that something. But a symbol does not grow by itself and has no meaning except what you give to it. It is ok to ignore a symbol for a while because it only is "alive" through the meaning you give.

Another person/identity may sleep for a long long time, but has its own needs and desires apart from you. He can be hurt by being neglected. If what you are talking to, Husky, is a representation of your own self-love -- cool, that's wonderful. If instead he is a separate identity, than you need to make sure that you are being a friend to him just as he is being a friend to you. Only you will know what that looks like, but its not fair to use somebody to make you feel better and then forget about them until you need them again.

And that's the big difference here which is why it is important to understand. Neither are bad, but they are very different. A symbol/representation is a tool to be picked up and put down as needed. A person/identity requires and deserves a two-way friendship.

Hope I'm not out of line here. I just know that my "friends inside my head" (one of many ways we refer to each other) have been hurt in the past by people who don't understand the difference between the two. I personally think DID is over-diagnosed so even though I have it I am always very careful to make sure people know its different from just having an internal dialog. This post ended up being much longer than I meant it to be so take what resonates with you and feel free to drop the rest.

Edited by Jacob S (04/20/13 10:44 PM)
all the people he can trust.
Like the one who stands behind him
cheering him on
Estatic when he stands defiant,
wild with abandon when he's gone

just stay alive.
do whatever you need to.
you are worth it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.