Newest Members
JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS
12466 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
BobbyJay (53), john50049 (57), Samii (34)
Who's Online
3 registered (Shyshark, Sonata1, BuffaloCO), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12466 Members
74 Forums
64017 Topics
446770 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#427634 - 03/10/13 06:16 AM Favourite Toys - good childhood memories
Farmer Boy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Australia
Since Suwanee's post about Good Times. I have been reflecting on my own 'good' childhood memories and the toys that meant so much to me.

I used to escape into my own little world and play by myself for hours at a time.

When I was 3 I was given this Family Tree House set (It was a hand-me-down from some friend of the family). I loved it and they even had a dog. The little boy figurine looked just like me and I could pretend I had a happy family. I still have everything but the actual treehouse (it fell to bits) and my kids love them too.

Then at about 8 I got my first and only lego set. It was a real 'boys' toy. The rest of the lego I played with was my older brothers. This was mine...just mine.

At 10 I got my first Transformer. I loved Transformers so much. I used to watch a lot of cartoons on TV (escapism again) and this was a toy from a real live TV show. WOW!!. This is Blaster. I really wanted Optimus Prime but now Blaster is more special to me. I sold him at a garage sail when I was about 15. I bought another one a few years back. smile

Just wondering if anyone else had some special toy/s when they were a kid that remind them that it wasn't all bad.

Lee

#427636 - 03/10/13 07:32 AM Re: Favourite Toys - good childhood memories [Re: Farmer Boy]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
Since I'm a master a tracking down this stuff mate - who cares about the shipping cost to Oz when it's treasure like this? - found the treehouse(s):

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html;jsessionid=4A675144D5576864289B170F1C2FA652?_nkw=1975%20Kenner%20Family%20TREE%20TOTS%20TREE%20HOUSE%20Complete%20w%20Box&_itemId=310290258088

Mine was the Flying Sub from Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (a 1966 model kit by Aurora):

#427637 - 03/10/13 07:52 AM Re: Favourite Toys - good childhood memories [Re: Farmer Boy]
Farmer Boy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Lancer

My wife she kill me. Lol. I nearly bought one a few years back......maybe now is the time???

WOW that sub looks AWESOME!!!! I didn't know cool was invented back then wink

Lee

#427658 - 03/10/13 02:42 PM Re: Favourite Toys - good childhood memories [Re: Farmer Boy]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Provided the wife DOESN'T kill you, I can guarantee you and the kids will be fighting to see who gets to play with it.

I truly love this stuff Lee and I've become particularly good at tracking down/limiting myself to the exact items, usually in great condition. It's done wonders for Little Lancer. Don't say I didn't warn you!

My "cool" was Irwin Allan's Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Lost in Space and The Time Tunnel...it WAS the Space Age, after all ;-P

#427676 - 03/10/13 06:59 PM Re: Favourite Toys - good childhood memories [Re: Farmer Boy]
SoccerStar Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
I got my first Transformer when they debuted in 1984, then took a break from about 1990-1996, then got right back in again. Like getting reacquainted with old friends.

I have about 800 now, conservatively, including a lot of "Greatest Hits" figures like Jetfire, Fortress Maximus, Overlord, Deathsaurus, and many years' worth of collector-convention exclusives. Also some Macross Valkyries and Brave Of Legend pieces that fit the aesthetic and round out the ranks. Though the number that is "mine" is slowly decreasing, as rather than buy new ones for my son, I just give him mine! Not the treasured specimens obviously.

So as far as happy memories go - when the time came, I had the Transformers animated movie on in the background as I lost my virginity. Nerdy girls are awesome smile

Matt

"Don't think it hasn't been a little slice of heaven just because it hasn't!" --Bugs Bunny

#427682 - 03/10/13 07:54 PM Re: Favourite Toys - good childhood memories [Re: SoccerStar]
Farmer Boy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: SoccerStar
So as far as happy memories go - when the time came, I had the Transformers animated movie on in the background as I lost my virginity. Nerdy girls are awesome smile

Matt - You ARE a Legend!!!!

I'm married to a Starwars Nerdy girl smile sadly.... no gold bakini though frown

Lee

#427701 - 03/10/13 10:14 PM Re: Favourite Toys - good childhood memories [Re: Farmer Boy]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
I think we all need a dose of this kind of medicine once in a while...

The Lego airport...a favorite...planes, blocks, what's not to love about this?

OK, this is not my Lego city, but I made many a massive metropolis like this one. They had residences, businesses, industry, an airport..and zoning. I geeked out on these.

I used to have dozens of Matchbox cars. This is the only one left...and is now on my desk at work.

And finally...The football game of red LED lights and a shrill whistle. A bit of trivia: the sound from the first version is heard in Supertramp's "Logical Song."

Will

-Signs and traces left in stone
Ruins of a past unknown-

#427702 - 03/10/13 10:22 PM Re: Favourite Toys - good childhood memories [Re: Farmer Boy]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hey, Suwanee, it's EA Games on the phone. They wanna talk to you about SimCity. ;-)

#427704 - 03/10/13 10:26 PM Re: Favourite Toys - good childhood memories [Re: Farmer Boy]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
Well, Lancer...as far as SimCity goes...I more or less do the real thing on a larger scale M-F 8am-6ish pm.

Little wonder where that comes from...

Will

-Signs and traces left in stone
Ruins of a past unknown-

#427707 - 03/10/13 10:56 PM Re: Favourite Toys - good childhood memories [Re: Farmer Boy]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

LOL!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.