Newest Members
Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms
12369 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
drivejoepublic (44), eagle299 (43), H18 (21), JJJ (43), mariposaman (63), SevenTwoTwo76 (39), TexAgMan (37), waiter (44), wgwarch (55)
Who's Online
1 registered (lapchinj), 23 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12369 Members
74 Forums
63584 Topics
444221 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#432535 - 04/26/13 02:31 PM Problems? Take a Hike
concerned_husky Offline
MaleSurvivor

Literally.

http://postimg.org/image/6hxfbmid1/

http://postimg.org/image/gd6fnypvn/

I did my first solo hike today, in the southern end of Spain. I'd always wanted to do it, dreamt of it for a long time. I had read that a lot of guys on here take nature walks and that they find it healing - now I know why. If the photos look great, have to say they don't do justice to the actual experience - the hills, mountains, trees, cliffs, intricate waterfalls...the sounds of the waterfalls, the birds singing, the wind whooshing past your ears...and just the awe, the grandeur of it all. Just being in it, and being away from people and society...it just kind of helps you transcend your problems. Of course they're still there, but for those few hours, you're above them, looking down on them. For the first half of the hike I was just enjoying the scenery, breathing it all in, moved by it, touched by it. Second half on the way back, I got really, really pensive, but in a good way. I found myself thinking, life's a game. This is the hand I've been dealt, and it's a game that must be played. What else is there? There are opponents, naturally. They're pretty formidable. I'm outnumbered, but I can beat them. Yeah...I can beat them. And I will beat them.

#432569 - 04/26/13 07:35 PM Re: Problems? Take a Hike [Re: concerned_husky]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
awesome, husky - both the scenery - and the "place" you are in your head!

i especially like the 2nd shot - is that snow? not the typical beauty of a calendar or post card photo - but rugged and natural and unspoilt.

lee
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#432575 - 04/26/13 08:26 PM Re: Problems? Take a Hike [Re: concerned_husky]
BraveFalcon Online   content
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The ATL

Hi Husky. Beautiful photos man! I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. I like to take a nature hike/jog once every few weeks myself. There is a national park not far from where I live and I love it up there. Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park it's called. Although, around here, calling it a "nature" hike is kind of a relative term. It's in the middle of the suburbs, not far from the city, normally crowded, lots of tourists, etc, but still nice. There is nothing like working up a good cardio sweat on the way to the top, then just sitting there, looking out at the city and letting the wind blow through your hair. The city looks and seems so quiet and peaceful from up there. Almost like it's in suspended animation. It's kind of surreal. I feel so at peace up there. My problems and stressors seem so far away. They can not touch me. Sometimes, in that moment, I wish I could freeze time and stay in that moment forever. I feel reconnected with myself, and it feels beautiful. Take care. Peace,

Ken

PS: I didn't take this pic and it obviously doesn't hold a candle to the natural beauty of your pics but it was taken from the top of Kennesaw Mtn, the spot I love so much, so here it is.....

#432582 - 04/26/13 08:56 PM Re: Problems? Take a Hike [Re: concerned_husky]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
Love the pictures!

I took a 2,100 mile solo hike before I started college---the Appalachian Trail. Every step is ingrained in my memory...the rainy Smokies, the flat vistas of Virginia...the boulder-strewn Northeast and the isolation of Maine. 6 1/2 months with only one goal will shape your thoughts for sure. This was the early 90s before smart phones and digital cameras...therefore I have no pictures other than the ones in my memory.

Keep it up.

Will

-Signs and traces left in stone
Ruins of a past unknown-

#432591 - 04/26/13 10:50 PM Re: Problems? Take a Hike [Re: concerned_husky]
Poorsoft Offline

I might just do that smile

Awesome pics!

Edited by Poorsoft (04/26/13 10:51 PM)

#432645 - 04/27/13 03:21 PM Re: Problems? Take a Hike [Re: concerned_husky]
WriterKeith Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: southern California
Beautiful. What amazing photos. Thanks for posting them for us to enjoy as well.
It brought to mind good thoughts! grin

#432704 - 04/28/13 07:28 AM Re: Problems? Take a Hike [Re: concerned_husky]
Jacob S Offline
MaleSurvivor

I hike whenever I can. I get out to the mountains as often as I'm able, but sometimes I can't wait for that and just have to go on a long urban/suburban hike.
all the people he can trust.
Like the one who stands behind him
cheering him on
Estatic when he stands defiant,
wild with abandon when he's gone

just stay alive.
do whatever you need to.
you are worth it.

#432708 - 04/28/13 07:37 AM Re: Problems? Take a Hike [Re: concerned_husky]
Farmer Boy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Australia
Thanks for sharing Concerned Husky - This is inspiring and not just the view.!!!

Quote:
This is the hand I've been dealt, and it's a game that must be played. What else is there? There are opponents, naturally. They're pretty formidable. I'm outnumbered, but I can beat them. Yeah...I can beat them. And I will beat them.

I did not know you could be pensive in a good way....but now I see it.

Thanks

Lee

#432781 - 04/28/13 07:56 PM Re: Problems? Take a Hike [Re: concerned_husky]
BuffaloCO Offline

Loc: USA
Husky, awesome idea about taking a hike, just to be alone with nature and to sort out stuff without noise or distractions. Beautiful pics too. Thanks 4 sharing!

#432841 - 04/29/13 10:49 AM Re: Problems? Take a Hike [Re: concerned_husky]
mike765 Offline

Loc: California
Hi Guys,

What you guys are doing seems really relaxing. It feels like whenever you get emotionally exhausted hiking does really help... I wish I could do that.

I would go for a walk sometimes, but I ended up feeling lonelier..

Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.