Newest Members
tammy m, TheConqueror, Bloom, JohnWC, KKumar
12423 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dphoenix1701 (37), jaywiz2009 (69), mato (57)
Who's Online
1 registered (Obi), 24 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12423 Members
74 Forums
63803 Topics
445536 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#432577 - 04/26/13 08:47 PM Re: Favourite Toys - good childhood memories [Re: Farmer Boy]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The ATL
Loved these....

Became obsessed with the Thundercats in 5th grade and had a bunch of these....

Needless to say, there were a shitload of these as well....

#432586 - 04/26/13 09:45 PM Re: Favourite Toys - good childhood memories [Re: BraveFalcon]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
I used to have a Star Trek bridge set with Kirk and Spock action figures. Some days I wish I still had them. smile

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#432621 - 04/27/13 07:20 AM Re: Favourite Toys - good childhood memories [Re: traveler]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: traveler
i felt so excited when i got it out of the box and held it in my hand. kept looking at it and touching it the rest of the evening. it is in front of me now. i feel like i really connected something from the past with me in the present - and it feels good.

lee

You and I often connect on so many levels, Lee, and this is one of 'em. You know from many of my posts - and acquisitions - I'm a huge fan of the tangible because that tactile sensation immediately connects me with positive past experiences. Despite the fact my hands are about twice as large as they were at the time - I suppose I'll coin a term - the tactile memory remains. When I've found one of these treasures online, say on eBay, my heart beats a little faster.

I've loved sometimes carrying one of these treasures in my pocket and, as you did, just touching it as a form of reassurance...and nobody knows.

#432624 - 04/27/13 07:57 AM Re: Favourite Toys - good childhood memories [Re: Lancer]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
I barely remember the days of regular gasoline and cars sans catalytic converters...

I remember the smell of that exhaust as being acrid, but a little bit sweet at the same time... telltale signs of incomplete hydrocarbon combustion. Sitting in traffic on a hot summer day with the air conditioner on, still inhaling the exhaust of that huge Buick Electra 225 in front of us.

The first catalytic converters created exhaust that smelled like rotten eggs, which assume was some sort of sufide. Nice.

Will

-Signs and traces left in stone
Ruins of a past unknown-

#432627 - 04/27/13 08:22 AM Re: Favourite Toys - good childhood memories [Re: Suwanee]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

@Suwanee...Since I hang around airports, I still get off on the smell of JetA. ;-)

(@Lee...You'll luv this)...Not exactly a "toy" but very important to me because it was Dad's Xmas gift when he (correctly) surmised I was interested in radio, etc. I learned from the original owner this is circa 1967. It lives in my office. Aside from the tactile, playing again with the controls, I always remember the smell of the platens holding the reels...and that smell is still there.

LOL...THIS IS MY FAVORITE MS THREAD...EVER!

#432703 - 04/28/13 07:07 AM Re: Favourite Toys - good childhood memories [Re: Farmer Boy]
Farmer Boy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Australia
Lee - My most priced matchbox car from when I was a kid is a 57 Corvette Stingray (black) and one of the best looking cars ever made - IMHO. smile Mine is VERY beaten up and well loved looking. I have a bit of a collection nowadays incl... a few bat mobiles, the General Lee, Mach 5 (Speed Racer), V8 Intercepter (Mad Max), Herbie, Eleanor mustang etc etc. I'll collect any car that was of significance in pop culture ... I would have the real things if the budget allowed for it.

BraveFalcon - Arrrr a kindred.... LOVE LOVE LOVE 80s Transformers, Thundercats and Starwars. My kids have been educated in all that was cool in the 80s. (I have them on DVD). I call it exposing them to culture but others have called it indoctrination. It does make them super cool with their friends when a remake is made and they already know all about it. (astroboy, voltron, Muppets etc). My greatest disappointment is that they like Starwars Episodes 1, 2 & 3 better then the real ones. And of course the Clone Wars animated Series. frown

Will - Yes the good old days before we realised that there was an environment. I nearly remember them too.

Lancer - We had a few reel to reel tape machines when I was a kid - that took the really big 7" reels. Man they were fun.

Man I gotta go watch Thundercats now.

I love this thread more than Lancer does laugh

Lee

#432705 - 04/28/13 07:30 AM Re: Favourite Toys - good childhood memories [Re: Farmer Boy]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

No...I love it waaaaay more than Farmer Boy duz! ;-P

#432713 - 04/28/13 08:39 AM Re: Favourite Toys - good childhood memories [Re: Farmer Boy]
Farmer Boy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Australia
What makes you think I'm going to act like a grown up ....

NO...I LOVE IT WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY MORE THAN LANCER DUZ!

laugh

so there!

(the rainbow is because the are pretty - not because they are gay smile )

Edited by Farmer Boy (04/28/13 08:40 AM)
Edit Reason: pretty not gay

#432714 - 04/28/13 08:44 AM Re: Favourite Toys - good childhood memories [Re: Farmer Boy]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Mommeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lee used COLORS!!!!!!!!!!!!

#432724 - 04/28/13 09:36 AM Re: Favourite Toys - good childhood memories [Re: Farmer Boy]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The ATL
Originally Posted By: Farmer Boy
My greatest disappointment is that they like Starwars Episodes 1, 2 & 3 better then the real ones. And of course the Clone Wars animated Series. frown

Yeah, I think my nephews do too. I know they watch the show and so do all their little friends. I've never seen it. I did go see that animated movie they released several years ago with the Truman Capote-esque Hut character. WTF was up with that? The movie wasn't very good. I do like Episodes I, II and III but not as much as the originals, of course. They would have been better if Lucas had been more careful with the story line and hadn't set up so many contradictions between I, II, III, and IV, V, VI. I can't believe he fucked some of that up so badly. Also, I could have done without Jar Jar Binks.

BTW, I love this thread the mostest of all.... times infinity!!! Also, I have a force field. There, I win! grin

Edited by BraveFalcon (04/28/13 09:37 AM)

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.