Newest Members
Xr2, clt, Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung
12371 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
drivejoepublic (44), eagle299 (43), H18 (21), JJJ (43), mariposaman (63), SevenTwoTwo76 (39), TexAgMan (37), waiter (44), wgwarch (55)
Who's Online
6 registered (traveler, freeze-on, OCN, BraveFalcon, 2 invisible), 37 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12371 Members
74 Forums
63591 Topics
444238 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#432447 - 04/25/13 08:55 PM I made a mistake?
CloudyFalls Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
I got back from group therapy, my dad drove me home. I told him about how I feel guilty and shameful and how I beat myself up all the time. He said everybody makes mistakes. I said, but I didn't make any mistake. He said, I disagree, you should've told someone. I said again, I did not make any mistake, I was a child. He said, yes you did, that's why you feel so guilty.

I hope you guys can fill the words that follow, because I am at a loss for words right now. I need your support for this. I did not make a mistake, he did. He could not protect me like a father should, he wasn't there, he was a drunk. He chose to look the other way, and now he's deflecting responsibility onto me.

I am ready to disown him right here and right now.

#432448 - 04/25/13 08:59 PM Re: I made a mistake? [Re: CloudyFalls]
traveler Online   confused
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
what you are feeling is called "false guilt" and the shame is projected onto you by others.

IT WAS NOT YOUR FAULT!

YOU did NOT make a mistake.

you need to hear that and believe it.

Lee
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#432449 - 04/25/13 09:20 PM Re: I made a mistake? [Re: CloudyFalls]
csasurvivor1992 Offline

Loc: Texas
wow. good on you for posting.

this is not your fault. none of this is your fault. none of it.

your dad thinks he knows the answers, he is shifting the guilt he feels onto you.

you are not to blame. you have done the best you can in light of these awful circumstances.

be easy on yourself brother. be easy on yourself.

#432451 - 04/25/13 09:36 PM Re: I made a mistake? [Re: CloudyFalls]
ThisMan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: upper south
CF- to echo what you just heard from the others here...No, not your fault! None of it is. To tell, to not tell? Why in the world would a dad would say that to his son I don't understand, but try very, very hard to not accept these words. Not your fault. Not your guilt. .......and I even heard something similar directed at me today... I repeat, Cloudy, you were a kid and you did not make a mistake.

#432453 - 04/25/13 09:50 PM Re: I made a mistake? [Re: CloudyFalls]
BraveFalcon Online   content
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The ATL

Hi CF. Sorry you're having to deal with this. No, it was not your fault and no, you didn't make a mistake. I can't believe your father would be so obtuse as to have said something like that and it fucking pisses me off that he did. My mom stopped just short of saying the same shit when I disclosed to her, so this hits a little close to home for me.

Allow me to draw an analogy here. Imagine a little boy is lost in the woods alone and gets attacked by a wild animal. He is hurt and frightened and doesn't know what to do. He is lost for days with his wounds and doesn't know which way to turn. He is bleeding. He is starving. He is dying. Then, right before death is upon him, he miraculously finds his way out of the woods in a spot where there is a hospital right across the street. The next day his father looks down at him in his hospital bed and says, "Boy son, you should have done something to treat your own wounds or found a hospital sooner. You sure made some big mistakes out there!" What your father said to you is no less ridiculous, no less idiotic, and no less insensitive than that. Take care man. Peace,

Ken

#432459 - 04/25/13 10:25 PM " [Re: CloudyFalls]
lbcali1978 Offline
MaleSurvivor

"

Edited by lbcali1978 (04/27/13 08:15 PM)

Come home

I said

I'm confused and alone

They said

We understand

I found out they don't

I'll walk the path exactly how I've always done it

Alone

#432471 - 04/25/13 11:57 PM Re: I made a mistake? [Re: lbcali1978]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Your dad is deflecting blame from himself by trying to put it on you. That's wrong and it's damaging to you. He's being a jerk.

Puffer

#432476 - 04/26/13 12:56 AM Re: I made a mistake? [Re: CloudyFalls]
bodyguard8367 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: ""
""

Edited by bodyguard8367 (02/26/14 11:06 PM)

#432477 - 04/26/13 01:29 AM Re: I made a mistake? [Re: CloudyFalls]
crazy gecko Offline

You did NOT make a mistake? Should you have told? Possibly, yes. Did you know that at the time? Hell no. You were a child, for goodness sake! Trying to shift ANY blame onto you is just sick. mad mad
You can play
-- Def Leppard

My Story, Part 2

My blog

#432490 - 04/26/13 04:59 AM Re: I made a mistake? [Re: CloudyFalls]
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
The only mistake you made was trusting that you could talk to him about this. With comments like that its no wonder you didn't feel like telling him was an option. Just like I have to remind myself everyday, hence my username we were "only a kid" when this happened.

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.