Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
beginning (34), Gary H. (41), jewelmom (63), kdg2310 (55), Li Yuki (2014), monarchnaps (36), Neverquit (30), Nord (58), SoSad (45)
Who's Online
2 registered (Shyshark, 1 invisible), 32 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12420 Members
74 Forums
63786 Topics
445428 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#432423 - 04/25/13 05:54 PM Complex PTSD
hapati Offline

Loc:
Anyone been a victim of these things...

"...all repeated traumas in which there is an actual or perceived inability for the victim to escape."

I put in the bold the parts I thought were important.

Anyone had help with/therapy with an expert in Complex PTSD or been diagnosed ? Any thoughts ?

--

Complex post-traumatic stress disorder (C-PTSD) is a psychological injury that results from protracted exposure to prolonged social and/or interpersonal trauma in the context of either captivity or entrapment (a situation lacking a viable escape route for the victim), which results in the lack or loss of control, helplessness, and deformations of identity and sense of self. C-PTSD is distinct from, but similar to, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), somatization disorder, dissociative identity disorder, and borderline personality disorder.

C-PTSD involves complex and reciprocal interactions between multiple biopsychosocial systems. It was first described in 1992 by Judith Herman in her book Trauma & Recovery. Forms of trauma associated with C-PTSD include sexual abuse (especially child sexual abuse), physical abuse, emotional abuse, domestic violence or torture—all repeated traumas in which there is an actual or perceived inability for the victim to escape.

It may help to understand the intersection of attachment theory with C-PTSD and BPD if one reads the following opinion of Bessel A. van der Kolk together with an understanding drawn from a description of BPD:

Uncontrollable disruptions or distortions of attachment bonds precede the development of post-traumatic stress syndromes. People seek increased attachment in the face of danger. Adults, as well as children, may develop strong emotional ties with people who intermittently harass, beat, and, threaten them. The persistence of these attachment bonds leads to confusion of pain and love. Trauma can be repeated on behavioural, emotional, physiologic, and neuroendocrinologic levels. Repetition on these different levels causes a large variety of individual and social suffering. Anger directed against the self or others is always a central problem in the lives of people who have been violated and this is itself a repetitive re-enactment of real events from the past. Compulsive repetition of the trauma usually is an unconscious process that, although it may provide a temporary sense of mastery or even pleasure, ultimately perpetuates chronic feelings of helplessness and a subjective sense of being bad and out of control. Gaining control over one's current life, rather than repeating trauma in action, mood, or somatic states, is the goal of healing.

Seeking increased attachment to people, especially to care-givers who inflict pain, confuses love and pain and increases the likelihood of a captivity like that of betrayal bonding, (similar to Stockholm syndrome) and of disempowerment and lack of control. If the situation is perceived as life threatening then traumatic stress responses will likely arise and C-PTSD more likely diagnosed in a situation of insecure attachment than PTSD.

#432427 - 04/25/13 06:00 PM " [Re: hapati]
lbcali1978 Offline
MaleSurvivor

"

Edited by lbcali1978 (04/29/13 02:01 AM)

Come home

I said

I'm confused and alone

They said

We understand

I found out they don't

I'll walk the path exactly how I've always done it

Alone

#432433 - 04/25/13 06:40 PM Re: Complex PTSD [Re: hapati]
cosmos Offline

Loc: Puget Sound

T. Paine

#432434 - 04/25/13 06:40 PM " [Re: hapati]
lbcali1978 Offline
MaleSurvivor

"

Come home

I said

I'm confused and alone

They said

We understand

I found out they don't

Alone

#432435 - 04/25/13 06:46 PM " [Re: cosmos]
lbcali1978 Offline
MaleSurvivor

"

Come home

I said

I'm confused and alone

They said

We understand

I found out they don't

Alone

#432436 - 04/25/13 07:06 PM " [Re: hapati]
lbcali1978 Offline
MaleSurvivor

"

Come home

I said

I'm confused and alone

They said

We understand

I found out they don't

Alone

#432438 - 04/25/13 07:26 PM Re: Complex PTSD [Re: hapati]
cosmos Offline

Kool just having fun, not meaning to hurt anyone, just thought it was kool that someone was posting stuff we can all benefit from, and your comment just opened up my dark humor.

Please I hope I didn't offend anyone, just thought it was humorous the possibility that the poster is a shrink, and I stated that its a quote from wikipedia; isn't that what its for, those in the know publish what they know to help others; right?

Thanx hapati its just that I think I suffer from this and don't want to admit it to myself.

Cee

T. Paine

#432439 - 04/25/13 07:33 PM " [Re: cosmos]
lbcali1978 Offline
MaleSurvivor

"

Come home

I said

I'm confused and alone

They said

We understand

I found out they don't

Alone

#432440 - 04/25/13 07:41 PM Re: Complex PTSD [Re: hapati]
cosmos Offline

No offense taken, just making sure I was not misunderstood.

Cee

T. Paine

#432441 - 04/25/13 07:55 PM " [Re: cosmos]
lbcali1978 Offline
MaleSurvivor

"

Come home

I said

I'm confused and alone

They said

We understand

I found out they don't

Alone

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.