Newest Members
jmr2191, autumn, tammy m, TheConqueror, Bloom
12425 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dphoenix1701 (37), jaywiz2009 (69), mato (57)
Who's Online
5 registered (Obi, don64, 3 invisible), 31 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12425 Members
74 Forums
63805 Topics
445547 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#432393 - 04/25/13 02:08 PM Nervous about next T session
Tanis2105 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: SW Florida
Iím feeling a bit nervous and scared about my next T session. We had discussed (about a month ago) meeting with one of her other clients who is also a CSA survivor but much farther in his recovery by a few years. She talked with him and he was agreeable to the meeting then she asked me I said ok but now Iím not sure itís a good idea. I know he is about my age and has or had many of the issues Iím trying to deal with now. I know Iím safe and in a safe and secure place but I still feel so panicky. I still think itís a good idea but how do I remain calm, should I up my meds before or just try and make it.

#432395 - 04/25/13 02:20 PM Re: Nervous about next T session [Re: Tanis2105]
csasurvivor1992 Offline

Loc: Texas
tanis, i'm sorry you feel so worried about meeting a fellow survivor.

may i ask if you are aware of what's causing the panic?

taking a wild guess, i'll say this... you are where you are and that's right where you need to be. wonderfully vague and painfully meaningless right? but the truth is, you deserved so much better. you deserved so much better than the shit which has caused your present reality. so now, you get to determine your pace. you get to determine your pace of therapy. another survivor can truly relate and sympathize and offer his story as an example of how he dealt with different things. he or his story in no way minimize you and yours. nor are you in any way deficient compared to his recovery. you can share your story at your own pace or not.

i'll tell you having other survivors in my support group has been critical. critical for those days where i cannot seem to pull myself out of bed. i was nervous, very nervous at first. but i am so grateful to have them in my lives now.

#432396 - 04/25/13 02:20 PM Re: Nervous about next T session [Re: Tanis2105]
csasurvivor1992 Offline

Loc: Texas
*life now

#432400 - 04/25/13 02:40 PM Re: Nervous about next T session [Re: Tanis2105]
Poorsoft Offline

You know, the first time I went to therapy. I was petrified. So anxious, so nervous and the funny thing is; I wasn't the client! I was the therapist. Felt a bit stupid after, considering how each person feels, but soon as they walk in the door and the conversation starts; you'll forget all about it as your attention will shift to more important issues.

Medication is a temporary measure ONLY and should only be used until you can learn to live without (and you will), if you're feeling panicky here a few things you can do:

1 - This is old school, but you will find in any meditative scripture or any discipline that focus's on peace; breathing is the key. Simple works best, always. Counting backwards from 10, breathe in. Each time you count down, make the time between counting from one number to the next slower. Try match you're breathing against the numbers, so you should end up breathing in and releasing slower every time (don't hold your breathe).

2 - This sounds a little odd, but there is method in the madness here. If you're able too; stand on one foot and focus on an object at the other side of the room that's at eye level. Do this for as long as you possibly can. Why does this work? By standing on foot and fixating your gaze you are conciously directing your cognitive functioning (thinking side) to the object you're focused on whilst trying to maintain your balance/posture. You're brain only has so much 'room' to process thoughts and feelings. Try it!

3 - List off 10 different things. Could be 10 types of cars, 10 different ways to make pancakes, 10 ways to excercise, whatever you want.

4 - If possible; sit down on a seat that fully supports your body from head to toe. Lying down works equally well. Starting from the muscles in your foot, all the way to your neck, slowly tense those muscles and then release after several seconds. I generally start with my toes (curl them up hard as I can, release) then my foot, calf muscles, legs, thighs, working all my way to my hands and up to my neck. It's advisable that you don't tense your neck, instead loosen it up, let your head bob gently side to side. By the time you've done this, not only have you relaxed every muscle in your entire body, but hopefuly you're thinking has shifted too.

5 - Feeling agitated? Pacing the room? Can't sit still? Again, sit yourself down and stop. Stop for a few seconds and then flip your hands over so the palm of your hands is facing towards the cealing and your hands are resting comfortable on your lap. This works because, by opening your hands; you're essentially disengaging you're flight/fight mode.

These are all distractions, it's important to look deep down, yes, but it's also important to give yourself a break.

Take it easy smile

#432417 - 04/25/13 04:56 PM " [Re: Tanis2105]
lbcali1978 Offline
MaleSurvivor

"

Edited by lbcali1978 (04/29/13 01:50 AM)

Come home

I said

I'm confused and alone

They said

We understand

I found out they don't

I'll walk the path exactly how I've always done it

Alone

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.