Newest Members
Serenity40, markm, hans32, SilentNoLonger, masryt
12132 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
casey (45), flaredsoul (31), Madcap (29), susie24 (59)
Who's Online
3 registered (Jude, CafeMan, 1 invisible), 64 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12132 Members
73 Forums
62561 Topics
438347 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#432287 - 04/24/13 02:58 PM Songs (Pink Floys Mother) triggers me
Murph Offline

I am just starting to deal with CSA and repressed (or no) memories of my childhood up until the age of 11.
It is funny that throughout my adult life I have been drawn to certain songs. One is Pink Floyd Mother. Last night I watched the Sinead O'Connor and Roger Waters version on Youtube at least six times in a row. When I watch it, I also drink too many beers too quickly. For me, it is riveting, especially because I had a task master mother who was not afraid to hit me without provocation at a very young age; which set me up for the later abuse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNwXFnqBzHg
For whatever reason I think Sinead is a victim too, she certainly has problems, so it was another reason to bond with the song (again)

I am also hooked on Les Mis.

#432296 - 04/24/13 04:20 PM Re: Songs (Pink Floys Mother) triggers me [Re: Murph]
Jacob S Offline
MaleSurvivor

Its really kind of fascinating how many of us found such meaning in Pink Floyd's songs. Yes, Sinead has said she was abused as a child.

Stay safe. I find music can help me deal with things, but don't let it torture you. Find a balance.
"As long as the child within is not allowed to become aware of what happened to him or her, a part of his or her emotional life will remain frozen . . . all appeals to love, solidarity, and compassion will be useless."
-- Alice Miller

#432305 - 04/24/13 08:11 PM Re: Songs (Pink Floys Mother) triggers me [Re: Murph]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The ATL

"Mother" by Pink Floyd isn't exactly a trigger for me but it is a beautiful song that I can relate in some ways to my relationship with my own mother and it can make me cry if I'm in the right frame of mind. Pink Floyd rules.

BTW, I think O'Connor is "out of the closet" as a survivor of CSA. I could be wrong but I swear I've heard about her admitting to it in interviews before. Peace,

Ken

#432321 - 04/24/13 10:36 PM Re: Songs (Pink Floys Mother) triggers me [Re: Murph]
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

I have Pink Floyd Animals on vinyl. Someone offered me $100 for it once, and I had to politely decline him.

That time on Saturday Night Live when Sinead O'Connor ripped up a photo of Pope John Paul II and said something like, "Fight the real evil." I was like, "What did I just see?"

A song that really triggers me is Maggie Mae by Rod Stewart. People say that they "like" this song, and I'm like, have you listened to the lyrics? This is *not* a love song. This is a song about a kid who has been abused by an older woman. Gives me the creeps.

Cant

#432355 - 04/25/13 05:44 AM Re: Songs (Pink Floys Mother) triggers me [Re: cant_remember]
Jacob S Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: cant_remember

A song that really triggers me is Maggie Mae by Rod Stewart. People say that they "like" this song, and I'm like, have you listened to the lyrics? This is *not* a love song. This is a song about a kid who has been abused by an older woman. Gives me the creeps.

Cant

I just read the lyrics and at least it implies that the incident screwed him up. That's better than "Hot for Teacher" or other songs that just perpetuates myths.
"As long as the child within is not allowed to become aware of what happened to him or her, a part of his or her emotional life will remain frozen . . . all appeals to love, solidarity, and compassion will be useless."
-- Alice Miller

#432358 - 04/25/13 07:17 AM Re: Songs (Pink Floys Mother) triggers me [Re: Murph]
cosmos Offline

Loc: Puget Sound
Music is really weird for me listened to all that British Invasion stuff growing up, loved PF still do, itís also how I judge myself; what can I listen to without losing it; it also becomes the backdrop for my life; right now I have the 3Ĺ minute shuffle/jam from Echoes on infinite repeat, Iíll listen to this, not exclusively for months; so much better than the depressing shit I was listening too, great music, just I was so damn despondent. I havenít been able to listen to PF for 20 years; maybe a little from their first 2 albums, Animals, or the Final Cut, as to the Wall, never really cared for it; too depressing even for me, Meddle, Atom Heart Mother or Ummaguma were always my favs. But I know that this is my way of self-abuse, just donít know how to stop. Trust me I get triggering music, itís why I canít listen to anything 70í from the RS, ďMaggie MayĒ, so right, and so apropos for me too; but I can listen to it, and I like it; some of the truth isnít as hard as others; or maybe more self-abuse?

Cee

T. Paine

#432371 - 04/25/13 10:18 AM Re: Songs (Pink Floys Mother) triggers me [Re: Murph]
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

Self abuse is listening to Ummaguma.

I have it on vinyl and even I'm like, "eeeesh!"

Cant.

#432421 - 04/25/13 05:52 PM Re: Songs (Pink Floys Mother) triggers me [Re: Murph]
cosmos Offline

Loc: Puget Sound
Originally Posted By: cant_remember
Self abuse is listening to Ummaguma.

LOL, best double album PF ever made!

Cee

T. Paine

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.