Newest Members
journey4two, VASurvivor, jayceemac, rwolf, FindingNemo
12328 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cja (49), crackerjack (55), nursemanda25 (33)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 13 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12328 Members
74 Forums
63403 Topics
443285 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#431953 - 04/21/13 02:25 PM Do you agree?
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2.5 NATO Nations
Julian Lennon posted this on Facebook.

Do you think its true...or was/is it true for you?

My reply: Hell yes it made me what and who I am! But it is not the ONLY influence on my life. HOW I survived....sucked. THAT I survived...OK-ish.

Edited by Still (04/21/13 02:26 PM)

The Aftermath Video

The Water Buffalo Song

#431954 - 04/21/13 02:41 PM Re: Do you agree? [Re: Still]
lbcali1978 Offline
MaleSurvivor

"

Edited by lbcali1978 (04/29/13 12:43 AM)

Come home

I said

I'm confused and alone

They said

We understand

I found out they don't

I'll walk the path exactly how I've always done it

Alone

#431955 - 04/21/13 02:44 PM Re: Do you agree? [Re: Still]
dumont Offline

Loc: No where
I agree. I am not proud of what I had to do, but I am alive and will stay that way. I hope

#431957 - 04/21/13 03:05 PM Re: Do you agree? [Re: Still]
Jude Offline

Loc: New England
The things that allowed me to survive as a kid (alcohol, drugs, compulsive sex) became my prison as an adult. I no longer am defined by them. They are no longer who I am.

Jude
But he never betrays what he thinks.
Can you see the real me, doctor?.
The Who

#431967 - 04/21/13 05:02 PM Re: Do you agree? [Re: Jude]
Farmer Boy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: Jude
The things that allowed me to survive as a kid (alcohol, drugs, compulsive sex) became my prison as an adult. I no longer am defined by them. They are no longer who I am.

Jude

like smile

#431975 - 04/21/13 06:00 PM Re: Do you agree? [Re: Still]
txb Offline

Maybe I'm reading it the wrong way?? But I hope it's not true. How I survived was by being completely submissive, doing things I didn't want to, saying things I didn't mean, pretending I wasn't there. I don't want any of those things to have anything to do with who I am. Even right now, I wouldn't want any of the stupid and weird stuff I have to do to survive to define who I really am.

#431978 - 04/21/13 06:09 PM Re: Do you agree? [Re: Still]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
Hey Still,

If that's true then I'm a dead man. I survived like Jude but only with drugs, lots of drugs. I am today having to survive the same way. So according to Julian I'm a druggy and I will eventually die from it like friends and others of my generation. I don't think I can survive another round of that. And now I use a knife to help me go further into that twilight zone.

I'm glad in a way that I survived the first round, I'm not so sure about the second round.

Peace, Rainbows, Love & Healing
Jeff

#432030 - 04/22/13 01:39 AM Re: Do you agree? [Re: Still]
Publius Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: OH
I imagine the artist's intent is to commemorate the strength, courage, and other positive qualities people use to overcome adversity. That it comes from a man whose father emotionally neglected him while physically abusing his mother may add to its efficacy. However, I am not a big fan of this quote. I feel survivors entering into recovery are a lot like soldiers returning from war. We both found ourselves trapped in a dangerous situation and did things we weren't particularly proud of in order to get through it. However, U.S. soldiers volunteer at the age of 18+ whereas CSA victims begins surviving much earlier and without their consent. Going to war and being sexually abused are not the same thing but I like to use this comparison to highlight the similarities/differences we've found in how people react to both. So as others have already said I think our survival journey definitely influences "who we are," but it does not define us. I am no more the bad person I thought I was because of the abuse than a returning soldier is a bad person he/she thinks he/she is because they survived/performed their duty.

#432031 - 04/22/13 01:48 AM Re: Do you agree? [Re: Jude]
crazy gecko Offline

Originally Posted By: Jude

Jude

Ditto.

I was addicted to hard drugs at 14, and in my darkest years I became the stereo-typical homeless junkie. It was the only way I knew how to survive. But it was only surviving, it wasn't living. It was more like a slow death. I don't think I would have survived for my longer, had I not walked away from that life.

Today, I don't even refer to myself as a "recovering addict" any more. I refuse to let my past addiction define any part of my present life.
You can play
-- Def Leppard

My Story, Part 2

My blog

#432032 - 04/22/13 01:49 AM " [Re: Publius]
lbcali1978 Offline
MaleSurvivor

"

Edited by lbcali1978 (04/29/13 12:43 AM)

Come home

I said

I'm confused and alone

They said

We understand

I found out they don't

I'll walk the path exactly how I've always done it

Alone

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.