Newest Members
JHNebraska, mike42069, JACKL, Personman, SiegmundNYC
12490 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
kb8715 (114), rom2057 (57), terrapin (51)
Who's Online
4 registered (myrlin, 3 invisible), 28 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12490 Members
74 Forums
64158 Topics
447693 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#431833 - 04/20/13 08:00 AM First Counseling Session
Dave PNW Offline

Loc: Pacific Northwest
On Thursday morning I had my first counseling session. On and off the week before, kept thinking....I don't have to do this, I can bail, just not show up. Not even sure I will be able to talk. I googled his practice....was relieved I didn't know him. I located his office two days ahead, noticed I could park in back. I know I have to face this. It's time, long overdue.
So on Thursday morning I did it. In a room at the end of a long hall, behind a closed door, windows covered.....I talked about this aloud, face to face with another man. I told him my secret. Not everything, just the edges, but the truth. Enough. He knows. And it was okay. He listened. Asked a few questions here and there. But mostly he was compassionate. He understood. I am going to go back.
I just wanted you to know that I did this. It was hard, but it was good, it was right. I just needed to tell someone. Thank you for the encouragement and support the last couple of weeks. I could not have done this without your help.

#431835 - 04/20/13 08:37 AM Re: First Counseling Session [Re: Dave PNW]
csasurvivor1992 Offline

Loc: Texas
dw, that is AWESOME!!! I AM SO VERY PROUD OF YOU!!! I remember the struggles you had in your decision to go, then not go, now go again. I am so very happy for you!

It's not the physical act of abuse that have caused years of torment, it's the silence. The silence of bearing a truth so awful, it hurts as though we did something wrong. You've broken the silence and can begin to release the shame. That's a huge step.

You're post has encouraged me for the day.

Enjoy the weekend brother... you absolutely deserve it!

#431841 - 04/20/13 09:38 AM Re: First Counseling Session [Re: Dave PNW]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The ATL

Good for you, DW! I'm glad you had the strength to go through with it. I remember my first therapy session, over 19 years ago now. It was very hard and even frightening at first but after the first session was out of the way, it got much easier. Glad to hear your experience was a good one. Good luck in your journey going forward. Peace,

Ken

#431862 - 04/20/13 01:51 PM Re: First Counseling Session [Re: Dave PNW]
DavoSwim Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Iowa, USA
Well Done Dave. This is a big step. The first time you speak the words out loud is the hardest. After this, it gets easier And makes healing more real. Good luck I'm the future.

DavO

#431898 - 04/20/13 10:23 PM Re: First Counseling Session [Re: Dave PNW]
Jude Offline

Loc: New England
Good work Dave! I wasted ten years in therapy, NOT talking about it. Wish that I had had your courage then.

Jude
Left here on my own or so it seems
I've got to leave before I start to scream
Joe Cocker

#431902 - 04/20/13 10:53 PM Re: First Counseling Session [Re: Dave PNW]
genedebs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: MO
Good work Dave, dw it is a great stride.

I don't know if this is the first time you have told it to anyone face to face, and I don't know how much pain you were in when you arrived at therapy. But, you did arrive and you began the discussion of the abuse.

Good luck on the journey and my the Lord bless you and keep you on the way.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.