Newest Members
DougieB, sethpeterson, R Ellis, SailingAway, Kitty6
12320 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Healer (53), Kilo (21), sdsjr (40), surfdude (57)
Who's Online
2 registered (petercorbett, 1 invisible), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12320 Members
74 Forums
63375 Topics
443150 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#431227 - 04/14/13 10:50 AM joplin tornado anniversary
Obi Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: kansas

Edited by Obi (05/03/13 06:00 PM)

my story

my vlog

#431232 - 04/14/13 12:20 PM Re: joplin tornado anniversary [Re: Obi]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: South-East Europe
This is very insightful post Obi!
Thank you for bringing it and thank God that you and moose are here with us safe and feeling good after you two were near such destructive force!
Things can get better for all of us smile

(((Obi)))) wink

#431250 - 04/14/13 05:11 PM Re: joplin tornado anniversary [Re: Obi]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The ATL

HI Obi. Great post man, and a very good analogy. I saw so much footage of that disaster on TV and it was absolutely astounding. It is both terrifying and awe inspiring how mother nature can do what it sometimes does. That a neighborhood, a town, a community, can be there one moment and literally be wiped off the map the next, taking and destroying lives along with it. I don't want to digress to much here but severe weather, specifically tornadoes, are something I've always been deeply fascinated with. When I was little, one of my dreams was to grow up to be a tornado chaser.

I see the parallels in your analogy and they fit so well. That tornado completely destroyed much of Joplin, just as CSA completely destroyed many of our lives. A tornado leaves a town in ruin, just as CSA left my sexuality, my sense of self, and other aspects of my life and personality in ruin. A town like Joplin can be rebuilt and it can recover, but the old part of it is gone. It will never look the same as it did or as it would have. It is changed forever. Even after the rebuilding and the recovery, there will always be a scar there. And a memory. Just as there will always be for many of us.

Another analogy I can draw here is to the powerlessness children who are victims of CSA have. They have no choice in the matter and no power to do anything about it. Just as is the case with a tornado victim. When an EF5 tornado is bearing down on your neighborhood, there is nothing you can do. Take cover all you want, but if an EF5 tornado wants to take you, it's going to take you. Your powerlessness is absolute. You can't negotiate with it. You can't outrun it. You can't overpower it. You just have to submit, surrender and hope you survive.

I am glad you and your friend made it out of that situation and didn't wind up a statistic. To have been that close to something that powerful, that frightening, I can only imagine. If you don't mind my asking, was there any point where you could see this monstrous tornado? Did you know it was hitting when it hit or did you not learn of it until after it was over? Just curious. Take care. Peace,

Ken

PS: I am a huge Star Wars nerd and I love your username and your avatar. Star Wars is awesome.

#431266 - 04/14/13 08:58 PM Re: joplin tornado anniversary [Re: Obi]
Obi Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Obi (05/03/13 06:01 PM)

my story

my vlog

#431307 - 04/15/13 09:09 AM Re: joplin tornado anniversary [Re: Obi]
Obi Offline
MaleSurvivor

my story

my vlog

#431375 - 04/15/13 10:17 PM Re: joplin tornado anniversary [Re: Obi]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
amazing story, obi!

glad you made it!

does it make you feel like maybe there is a reason you survived?

Lee
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#431379 - 04/15/13 11:28 PM Re: joplin tornado anniversary [Re: Obi]
Obi Offline
MaleSurvivor

my story

my vlog

#431384 - 04/16/13 12:29 AM Re: joplin tornado anniversary [Re: Obi]
ThisMan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: upper south
"....just blazed a path of destruction in it's path. leaving their lives, like ours, in total dismay and ruin...."

That is what it is. Sexual assaults, I mean. They create a horrible, horrendous path of destruction and leave the survivor in dismay and ruin. It takes a long, concentrated effort to rebuild. Thanks for the reminder to believe in ourselves and to keep our spirits alive. Sometimes, even with the progress, I lose sight of the path I am on. Obi, I appreciate you, man.

ps... you learned of another reason why you survived the tornado. It was so we could be helped by your story of random destruction and concentrated renewal.

b

#431391 - 04/16/13 01:59 AM Re: joplin tornado anniversary [Re: Obi]
pbert53 Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Washington, USA
Obi,

i am so glad that you and Moose were saved from the devastation, for the most part. It must have been very triggering.

take care

peace

paul

~ adapted from: Sri Ram

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.