Newest Members
BusterJones, Desperateforhelp, aniceguy, Green_Lantern, Safe11ride
12121 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
corvairman1 (43), marianne (44), son (35), speedy (31)
Who's Online
3 registered (CafeMan, hike1972, 1 invisible), 60 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12121 Members
73 Forums
62523 Topics
438155 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#430664 - 04/09/13 05:34 PM consciousness
cosmos Offline

Loc: Puget Sound
Iíve started reading ďThe origin of consciousness in the breakdown of the bicameral mindĒ by Julian Jaynes and just wondered what others thoughts are on consciousness. Understand consciousness in this context is like thinking about hitting a baseball while doing it vs. just doing it ,so itís a really complex topic, man havenít read anything like this in 20 years, good stuff.

Cee

T. Paine

#430666 - 04/09/13 05:47 PM Re: consciousness [Re: cosmos]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I think people have a body, a mind, and a soul. The body is this "house" we live in, made of flesh and blood. The mind consists of the thought processes in the brain and nervous system. This is the realm of much of the hurt of child abuse. Multiple personality resides in the mind. The soul is an essence not seen but felt. The soul can communicate with other people, and it can grow or it can stagnate. It is not made of physical or material stuff. It keeps on living after the body and mind die, although the soul is affected by events in the body and mind.

Puffer

Edited by pufferfish (04/09/13 05:52 PM)

#430684 - 04/09/13 10:17 PM Re: consciousness [Re: cosmos]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
Always a great topic for late night conversation in college...

I haven't read Jaynes' book, but I've heard about some of the philosophy behind it. It's an age-old question for sure. The very question is exceedingly complex...so much so, I'd like to be exposed to every nuance, theory, conjecture, or dogma I can. Whether it is the philosophy behind Gilgamesh, or the fascinating and DMT inspired margins of Terrence McKenna's "Machine Elves," we have for millenia struggled to reconcile "being" and "thinking."

Sometimes I think the soft machine is a means to access the "Great Big." It's like our minds are wired into a universal consciousness. Without a few tweaks, it's like trying to stream HD on a slow internet connection. We would have to pool our resources and hopefully compare notes to get the whole picture.

When I was a kid...up to maybe 27-30 years old I used to have occasional episodes when the whole freaking universe made sense. New Age types might call them glimpses of "ego death." Lasting no more than a minute, they left me exhilarated even if I promptly forgot everything. These weren't drug-induced, just brief interludes of expanded bandwidth I suppose.

Will

My Story: Cruel Summer

#430944 - 04/11/13 09:56 PM Re: consciousness [Re: cosmos]
cosmos Offline

Loc: Puget Sound
Puffer I wish I had your belief in your soul living on after death just canít see any proof in it, sorry I canít trust dogma for dogmaís sake, itís not like in believing the sun will rise tomorrow, more like a belief in Santa.

Will the universe makes sense to me and has for a while, I guess heavy drug use does that to you, just that my recent acceptance of my abuse really makes me just step back and go wow! I never would have considered in a million years that my mind would be capable of such protection mechanisms as total amnesia? It just makes me wonder about the whole nature of consciousness, when I met my wife (psyche major) years ago she had just finished reading Jaynesí book and we would kinda of compare notes, my drug use, my reading of Castaneda, Huxley or even Leary, just never had the power to read something like this then, heck I havenít really read that much in 20 years, just technical stuff mostly, I had forgotten just how pleasurable it is to read something that pushes your level of understanding vs. just memorizing IP frame header info.
Understand that my drug use has definitely led to my understanding that your core identity is immutable and unchanging, itís the same no matter what, you are you. Typically though drug use eliminates consciousness and leaves you at the mercy of your physical body. See thatís why salvia is so utterly different, Iíd say hyper- consciousness and at the same time from somewhere deep inside you see visions, very powerful stuff, this is not for everyone, heck I even regret using it, it caused me to remember, a large part of me wishes I hadnít been so daring and cavalier with my drug usage.

Cee

T. Paine

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.