Newest Members
DougieB, sethpeterson, R Ellis, SailingAway, Kitty6
12320 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Healer (53), Kilo (21), sdsjr (40), surfdude (57)
Who's Online
3 registered (Bluedogone, 2 invisible), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12320 Members
74 Forums
63373 Topics
443140 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#430580 - 04/08/13 10:34 PM "....once you are Real you can't be ugly,...
ThisMan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: upper south
This afternoon I flipped on the movie channel and watched the latter part of some distant movie while I was flipping around totally not focused. I heard the title and quote from a children's classic that caused me to stop and think... whoa.

"....once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand.

The classic is "The Velveteen Rabbit. Wonderful story. I read it again tonight and cried like a baby. Just as the raggedy old Rabbit is tossed to the side, only to be picked up and made "real"- well. Why? ... because that's where we are. We all can relate on some level to the Velveteen Rabbit.

In my mind I was spent. I felt old way beyond 54 and so blame tired. I thought I had served my purpose for the family, for the abusers, and like the favorite rabbit, I was cast off. I thought I was dirty, full of those germs that cause disease, and not only was it time to be tossed to the side, I was beginning to agree.

Finally, in November I stared into the face of a guy turning 55. Alone and privately, secretly destroying himself. I started the therapy. I had this big birthday and I made a conscious decision to change the things I did have control over.

I told the T I had had enough and could not carry these secrets any longer. I told of the CSA and ASA and all things in-between. Of the fear and the anger and self-hatred. I told her of the nights of needless crying in the dark and the hope that the 'morrow would not come so soon. I told of the excessive self medicating and the acting out sexually...I even told her of the threats I had received that caused the ball bat to be permanently stationed at the door and by the bed. I told her of my ANGUISH.

And something began to happen. I began to understand. It has taken a full 6 months, but I am beginning to understand.

I had wanted to stay in the old world I knew because I was comfortable. It was what I had known. But when my family unit changed and the sons grew up and left to start their own, I had nothing. I was living in memories. Day to day to day memories. And then the bad ones came. The bad memories. And the burden of those memories came. And then the pain we all have felt. And then I made poor decisions and added to all of it.

Yet, with the help of T, I continued to gain understanding. It wasn't my fault I was raped. At any age. Young, old. And I can now say the word rape. I still cry as I type it, it still hurts, but what a change for the heart to know it wasn't my fault. Time moves, stability changes. I have to create the new for myself. One I fit into. I even accept myself with that.

I am not certain what the future will bring. None of us are. But if the decisions I make regarding how I want to live my live, which gender I prefer to spend my time with, I can guarantee this one thing. No one will ever think I am as ugly as I once thought I was. They just can't. I am becoming REAL in a way that my life requires I do and that is nothing but exciting. (...and full of grief and pain...) . REAL as in I hurt, I cry, I survived. REAL as in I WANT my future. REAL as in I am BILL and here I am.... and ... REAL as in I am beginning to feel the HEALING take place.

"...if I am REAL, then I will be ugly only to those that fail to understand..."

A couple weeks ago, I was called Dr Phil by a poster. And not in a nice way. Well, guys, guess what? ...Actually there is no guess what. I now know that the light I am beginning to see is much better that the darkness of not seeing it. And just don't call names. I've had enough abuse to last a lifetime. Actually, several lifetimes. Play nicely.

Follow the link and read the "V-Rabbit" again. It will be good for your spirit. And it will probably make you cry. Appreciate you all.

http://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/williams/rabbit/rabbit.html

#430582 - 04/08/13 10:54 PM Re: "....once you are Real you can't be ugly,... [Re: ThisMan]
lukedamien Offline

Hi. I read this posting. Just wanted to say hi and that I can read just how beautiful you are dude. Right here. Be golden to yourself dude.

Ttyl

#430587 - 04/09/13 12:39 AM Re: "....once you are Real you can't be ugly,... [Re: ThisMan]
Letourski Offline

Loc: Canada
This was exactly the kind of post I needed before bed. Heal well friend. You are my brother in healing, and I love you.

Sincerely

Daniel

#430607 - 04/09/13 02:32 AM Re: "....once you are Real you can't be ugly,... [Re: ThisMan]
overcomer4life Offline

Hmmmmm, now I have a strong curiosity to read this FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE. Yea, I know...I'm late.

Excellent post.

#430638 - 04/09/13 11:08 AM Re: "....once you are Real you can't be ugly,... [Re: ThisMan]
SoccerStar Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
This is a wonderful, beautiful realization, Bill. You're making such amazing progress, which makes sense since you did a good job of recovering from the CSA once already. But it took my breath away because a (male) friend of mine, when feeling a bit down, had once written a whole essay about.... the Velveteen Rabbit, and how it can hurt to "become real" but its worth it. You've inspired me to ask him to send it to me again - would be interesting to see common themes.

Matt

"Don't think it hasn't been a little slice of heaven just because it hasn't!" --Bugs Bunny

#430641 - 04/09/13 11:25 AM Re: "....once you are Real you can't be ugly,... [Re: ThisMan]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
Bill,

This post is powerful in its relentless call for the positive. It affirms what we all are doing here. I haven't been around here as long as some guys have, but long enough to detect an ebb and flow of sentiment.

I think we have recently been in something of an ebb. Your post leads me to think the cycle is reversing.

Thank you.

The Velveteen Rabbit is a tear-inducing story for me. I put it in the same category as "Puff the Magic Dragon" and the story of Jessie in Toy Story 2 and Andy's kind gesture at the end of Toy Story 3. I posted on this a few months ago. Being lost or thrown away...that theme is so powerful.

Will

-Signs and traces left in stone
Ruins of a past unknown-

#430642 - 04/09/13 01:28 PM Re: "....once you are Real you can't be ugly,... [Re: ThisMan]
1lifenow Offline

Loc: west coast
Thanks for a truly heartfelt post.

I just came out to some friends both about my CSA and my real orientation last night. "you are courageous " they both expressed with faces both a little shocked, then empathetic and ultimately accepting and warm.
I was just trying to finally get real.

I think the key was what you said.
I EVEN ACCEPT MYSELF

Like you are living, when we see the truth in the realization we do have that power - the ugly falls away from even our deepest places.

Thanks again for keeping it real.

WoR Barrie 2011

#430675 - 04/09/13 07:59 PM Re: "....once you are Real you can't be ugly,... [Re: ThisMan]
Farmer Boy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Australia
Bill

This is a truly amazing post!!!

Thank you for sharing it. I have never even heard of the story before but the sentimants you shared here really hit home.

Thank you.

I will read the story later - when I can have a good cry. I love a good transformation story.

I agree with Will - thanks for changing the tide of the tone here! This was so uplifting and REAL. Yes we feel that way sometimes (hurt, dirty, used etc) but there is hope. What happened to us does not have to define us forever.

Thanks Dr Phil (in a nice way) smile

Lee

#430680 - 04/09/13 08:51 PM Re: "....once you are Real you can't be ugly,... [Re: ThisMan]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The ATL

Hi Bill. I really don't have much to add other than to say this was an uplifting post and a great topic. I know my mom read the The Velveteen Rabbit to me when I was little and that there was also an old movie based on the book which I saw afterwards. Both made me cry, and probably still would. I'll have to take some time to read the story again as soon as I get the chance. Kudos to you on this post and also on your awesome self-realization. Peace,

Ken

#430681 - 04/09/13 08:57 PM Re: "....once you are Real you can't be ugly,... [Re: ThisMan]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
EXCELLENT post and internalization, Bill!

hope you can feel the love coming your way!

another story that does the same thing for me is Pinocchio - wanting to become a "real boy." and one movie that always makes me cry is "A.I. (Artificial Intelligence" - a sci-fi version of Pinnocchio.

Lee
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.