Newest Members
Trina, BreakingSilence, fromone2another, lbartgis, micro44
12704 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
george of kent (77), HarborSeeker (50), locknbar (31), russo (36), Stewdawg (53), TM (45)
Who's Online
2 registered (1islandboy, 1 invisible), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12704 Members
75 Forums
65339 Topics
456956 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#430485 - 04/08/13 04:22 AM What I've been up to, plus another video
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: durham, north england
Hi Everyone.

Well I'm back again just to check in. Things have been surprisingly busy, but in a good way, particularly with me and music.

First, the light opera production of Iolanthe I was rehearsing for happened in March. This went fantastically well. i was playing a part I'd played before, lord tololler, a very snooty and pretentious idiot of a tenor lord. Iolanthe is one of the funniest of all the gilbert and sullivan light operas, especially with the political jokes, what particularly was this time is that the university I was with was having their 40th aniversery, meaning lots of publicity.

Some people (especially the director and music direcotr), got incredibly stressed over this, and indeed we didnt' even have an orchestra until the final weekend. I was of course fine, since I've done enough stuff in the past to know that even in the most well run production things always! get stressed near the end of rehearsals, indeed I was very much taking on the emotional support role for lots of people.

this was quite astounding. As I've said in previous posts, the group were unusually physical, and for once I found myself employing physical affection quite naturally with emotional support. indeed one girl I ended up hugging as I went through her music because she was terrified of getting it wrong (as I learn my own music by ear I knew her part and was helping), she literally clung onto me for five minutes. This was quite a revelation, I realized on a rather visseral level that physical affection such as a hug doesn't have to be a threat, and that if I! initiate such it can actually be of help to others, (I also hugged one of the guys who was a bit terrified). One girl even commented "you give really nice hugs" which didn't instantly trigger me, quite amazingly, (said girl has got a bf so there was deffinately nothing attached to the comment).

The production of course went amazingly well, indeed playing a comedy part I got a lot of laughs as well as did some seriously nice bits of In particularly i had a great partner for a comedy duo who I got some great business in with which the audience really liked. It was also quite amazing in that since this was the first production i've been in in Nottingham where I grew up, my mum invited all and sundry to see it. That was a little difficult since I don't take complements very well and while I loved doing the actual production people's reactions weren't fun.

Oh, there was even a peace in the paper.

I've got a video of one of my principle songs which I've stuck on the file sharing service sendspace if someone wants a look. i don't know if more will be available. In this particular clip, the house of lords (the male chorus), are all attempting to persuade Phillis, a low born lady to marry them. My character sings a song to the affect that nobility in general, and himself in particular are not actually so bad and are still capable of being virtuous, (as I said, he's very pretentious and full of his own importance, as well as being a prat, which is one of the things that made him so much fun to play, that and the fact he gets some beautiful songs like this one)..

You can download the video at
http://www.sendspace.com/file/u0lg8f

Just hit "click hear to start download on the page that comes up.

Of course, since this is my life things couldn't be simple. As I've said before, I'm apply to Bermingham conservatoire next year to studdy voice professionally (I've got too sick of being told varients of bugger off we can't have a visually impared person on stage). I therefore decided along with my singing teacher to get a grade 8 in voice for my file, and to prove to Bermingham that it was! possible to learn serious peaces without reading music. to anyone who hasn't studdied music in the Uk, the grade system goes 1-8, after which your into diploma levels, hence why t's good to have when applying to studdy voice at university.
Guess when the exam was? right in the middle of the performance of iolanthe, on the friday morning after having performances all week, indeed there was another on the friday night and two more on saturday. Just to compound matters, my nose decided to get blocked up thursday night, indeed we now wonder if this was exam nurves.

I didn't really have any idea how the exam went, though having a bunged up nose really didn't help, however in the results I managed to get the highest passing mark, a pass with distinction. I'm really pleased about this, since it means I'm in the best position to apply to studdy voice further down the line.

interestingly enough, as part of the break down of Marks I got %100 in dramatic interpretatioon, the skill of putting yourself into the performance rather than just reiterating the music, which was nice.

I then finished the performance, and culminated everything by slipping on some ice and close to breaking my arm, (it was bruised literally from the elbow to the wrist and I couldn't even write being as I touch type). But at least it didn't happen during the performance.

So yes, things went well, indeed I'm off to the aims short summer music school this weekend, where I'm auditioning for another part, plus, I've been asked to submit a paper on opera and disabled accessibility for a conference in July, which basically means rewriting some of my phd on disability from a standpoint of opera, (plus my own experiences of less than friendly directors), so things are actually working out pretty well at the moment.

Hope everyone on ms is still healing and walking the path.

It does! get better, indeed if you want some proof of this look at some of my previous posts. yes, I have my days, yes, I needed to ask for a personal dressing room in order to satisfy my genophobia (there was no way I was getting undreased in front of other people even if I did trust the guys there), I've still had bad reactions and a couple of off afternoons, but it's no longer running my life!

so, it is! possible.

Luke.

#430486 - 04/08/13 05:04 AM Re: What I've been up to, plus another video [Re: dark empathy]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
Luke - i am in awe of your progress! and i congratulate you on your academic achievements! and rejoice with you in your artistic fulfillment! when i think of some of your earlier posts - what you reported here about being able to not only tolerate - but offer supportive hugs to others is MAJOR! i am so proud of you! Well done! and STANDING Os!!! from this fan and audience member!!!

Lee
"That you are here - that life exists, and identity; that the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. . . What will your verse be?" Robin Williams as John Keating in "Dead Poets Society"

#430488 - 04/08/13 05:40 AM Re: What I've been up to, plus another video [Re: dark empathy]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
lol Luke...I remember when. Just fucking excellent mate! Really appreciate the details.

#430608 - 04/09/13 02:35 AM Re: What I've been up to, plus another video [Re: dark empathy]
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: durham, north england
thanks for this.

One thing about ms I realize is that I personally tend to use it as a place to lay out, considder and deposite a lot of the negative stuff from recovery. This is fine, it's what ms is for, but equally one thing I have realized is that there is a lot more to me than just my negative experiences, so it seems only fair I do on ms what I do with music, and give something good back if I can.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.