Newest Members
wraphd, blufish, JPmc, rr433, pjmd
12435 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mTm (55), Oz (28)
Who's Online
5 registered (JW1230, Obi, 3 invisible), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12435 Members
74 Forums
63846 Topics
445808 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#429749 - 04/01/13 04:20 PM Child abuse by priests in Brighton Massachusetts-
Murph Offline

Hi I am looking for other survivors of priest abuse in the Massachusetts area in the 1960s.

I am interested in 1962 through 1968 time-frame.

I grew up in Brighton, MA and attended a catholic school, and was an alter-boy.

I am trying to recall priests names and other memories.

Thanks
Murph

#429761 - 04/01/13 08:12 PM Re: Child abuse by priests in Brighton Massachusetts- [Re: Murph]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

I hope, but sadly believe it is possible you will find some other child who suffered from the priests to help you through this. I am a survivor of priest abuse. I come from a small town in Ct. with one church growing up and several years ago a second parish was opened. I thought about posting and asking but the town is still small and everyone knows everyone. My Mom was alive until recently and I could not put her in the middle of it--but now in looking back I think she knew something from some discussions with my father later in life--she was a fighter and probably would have been fighting them all with me. But now the abuser is quite old. I admire your courage and hopefully others come forward for you.

Edited by KMCINVA (04/01/13 08:20 PM)

#429813 - 04/02/13 11:52 AM Re: Child abuse by priests in Brighton Massachusetts- [Re: Murph]
Murph Offline

KMCINVA
Thank you for your kind words and encouragement. I am in my mid fifties, and just beginning to deal with it. I do not remember most of my childhood (sad but true) and I was thinking a little help from a fellow parishioner would help. Slim chance but worth the effort.

#429815 - 04/02/13 12:07 PM Re: Child abuse by priests in Brighton Massachusetts- [Re: Murph]
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

Murph,

Welcome to MS. We're sorry that you're here, but we're glad you found us.

I was not abused by a priest, but I wanted to tell you that I have gaps in my childhood memory surrounding my abuse as well, as do others here. In this regard, you are not alone.

You will see it referred to around here as dissociative amnesia. Read and post and share. You're among brothers.

Cant

#429816 - 04/02/13 12:26 PM Re: Child abuse by priests in Brighton Massachusetts- [Re: Murph]
Chase Eric Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hey, Murph -

S.N.A.P.

Good luck on that journey.

Click my pic to see why I'm here

#429819 - 04/02/13 12:48 PM Re: Child abuse by priests in Brighton Massachusetts- [Re: Murph]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Murph

I too am in my mid 50's and began to face it 6 years ago. It has been hard. I have a therapist, psychiatrist, two support groups including SNAP. Everything helps, it just takes time--more than I ever imagined.

Good luck.

#429822 - 04/02/13 01:14 PM Re: Child abuse by priests in Brighton Massachusetts- [Re: Murph]
DavoSwim Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Iowa, USA
Murph,

I was abused as a priest as well, in the 70s. The fact that he was a priest compounded the after effects. We expect more from priests and consequently, the damage they cause is magnified because they are supposed to be Men of God.

The journey of healing has been very rough. Fortunately, the guys here are useful. My priest came from Rhode Island. He had been caught abusing boys in his home state and then was sent to the Midwest to begin work on a PhD, but also to remove him from the environment. The prevailing thought at that time was that the abuse was situational, and if you remove the perp from the environment, he will end the behavior. That could not be more wrong.
Best of luck in your quest for answer.

DavO

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.