Newest Members
GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS, BookHouseBoy
12465 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cyrus (44), Dupe1978 (36), James_Is_Talking (36), K-man (58), LordShiningStarr (36), ricky (51), Shawn Hope (29), teresa (42), Warner82 (32)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12465 Members
74 Forums
63998 Topics
446694 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#429278 - 03/27/13 10:06 AM MaleSurvivor Statements on the Ziegler Controversy
Chris Anderson Offline
Executive Director
MaleSurvivor
Loc: New York
Over the past few days, another sad chapter in the Penn State Scandal was written.

Two major news outlets in the US - NBC News and CNN gave a platform to a filmmaker named John Ziegler. His efforts to clear the name of Joe Paterno (an endeavor that the Paterno family itself has decried as harmful to the victims and have distanced themselves from publicly) focused on interviews he made with Jerry Sandusky. Using these interviews, Ziegler is hyperfocussed on publicly discrediting one of the victims, and has now published all of the evidence he says proves that Victim #2 was not, in fact, sexually assaulted.

MaleSurvivor feels strongly that Ziegler's efforts, and the media outlets that promoted him, have served to do harm to survivors. As such we published the following statements on this issue.

Quote:
3/25

MALESURVIVOR statement on the TODAY show's airing of Ziegler Interviews with Sandusky
March 25, 2013

This morning, NBC News and TODAY show Executive Producer Don Nash have collaborated with independent filmmaker John Ziegler to air portions of prison interviews recorded by Ziegler with convicted child rapist Jerry Sandusky. Ziegler is seeking to profit by capitalizing on the controversy of the Sandusky scandal by producing and distributing a film. By airing these interviews, and capitalizing on the ensuing storm of controversy unleashed by this announcement, NBC has chosen to give national exposure for a second time to a child rapist whose indisputable guilt on over 40 counts of sexual abuse of children was agreed upon by a jury of his peers.

These interviews have no independent news value, and will publicize and quite likely provide additional funding to Ziegler’s independent project. It should be noted that members of the Paterno family have disavowed any connection to this project. Airing these clips will re-victimize some of the survivors of Sandusky’s crimes. It also serves as highly unethical (and possibly illegal) harassment by Sandusky of his victims. NBC’s decision to air these interviews places them in the role of abetting and assisting this harassment. Further, it serves to give credence to Ziegler, who has publicly proclaimed his doubts that Sandusky’s behavior constituted sexual abuse.

Despite repeated efforts on the part of many advocates, attorneys, and therapists NBC News and producers of the TODAY show have refused to give a moment of air-time to anyone who represents the interests of survivors of childhood sexual abuse. By making this decision, NBC NEWS and Ziegler are choosing to shamelessly profit while causing survivors of sexual abuse needless harm. To air clips of Sandusky speaking from jail without ensuring survivors are given a chance to respond violates one of the basic principles of journalism – that both sides of a story be given an opportunity have their views aired.

Survivors of sexual abuse struggle with shame, stigma, and are often shoved to the sidelines. It is the stories of survivors of sexual abuse that should be told in the wake of abuse scandals. Sexual abuse is a public epidemic, with more than 20% of the US population reporting having experienced some form of sexual abuse during their lifetimes. Survivors suffer from far higher rates of anxiety, depression, dysfunctional interpersonal relationships, heart disease, substance abuse, and suicide. However, time and again these facts and the survivors’ voices are marginalized and drowned out in the rush to give platforms for criminals and abusers to pronounce their innocence.

NBC News had an opportunity to promote healing by supporting survivors of abuse and using this time to share information that would help survivors heal. Instead they have needlessly harmed many survivors and placed more children at risk by giving attention to a controversial filmmaker of self-serving motives and a convicted child rapist.

Christopher Anderson, Executive Director,
MaleSurvivor

Marci Hamilton, JD, Paul N. Verkuil Chair of Public Law,
Cardozo Law School

John Salveson, President
Tammy Lerner, Vice President
Foundation to Abolish Child Sex Abuse
Bryn Mawr, PA

Roger Canaff, President Board of Directors
End Violence Against Women, International

Chris Newlin MS LPC
Executive Director, National Child Advocacy Centers

Yesterday, after publicly threatening to do so if Victim #2 refused to come forward, Zielger published reams of information relating to Victim #2. These files include personal details of this man's life and experiences. Details that no sexual abuse survivor should be forced to have published and promoted publicly. At first, despite promises not to do so, Zielger also included the young man's name in the document multiple times (and his full name was listed in the filenames of hyperlinked files on the page. I issued the following reaction last night.

Quote:
John Ziegler has released his files on "Victim #2".

MaleSurvivor ED Chris Anderson issued the following statement:

"Survivors of sexual abuse have the right to speak for themselves. They have the right to share or not share their stories, publicly or privately, as they see fit. Stealing that right from a victim, from whom so much was taken already, is outrageous. “Outing” personal information about a survivor of sexual abuse is a violation no less grievous than the abuse itself. The information released by John Ziegler will likely cause harm to the young man known as Victim #2. In addition it will undoubtedly send a chilling message to other survivors who will now fear coming forward to seek justice and healing support.

Mr. Ziegler and of all those who enabled him by giving him a national media spotlight share in the blame for the negative consequences of this action. We implore the press and public at large to respect this brave young man’s right to privacy and a life free from further abuse and harassment."

Edited by Chris Anderson (03/27/13 10:10 AM)

#429279 - 03/27/13 10:08 AM Re: MaleSurvivor Statements on the Ziegler Debacle [Re: Chris Anderson]
Chris Anderson Offline
Executive Director
MaleSurvivor
Loc: New York
I have reached out through contacts to express my personal, and the organization's unequivocal support for Victim #2. If anyone would like to individual send messages of support (which would be greatly appreciated) please either email them directly to me at canderson@malesurvivor.org or mail them to our address:

4768 Broadway #527
New York, NY 10034

And I will forward them on the appropriate parties.

Thank you all for your support.

Chris

Edited by Chris Anderson (03/27/13 10:08 AM)

#429724 - 04/01/13 12:22 PM Re: MaleSurvivor Statements on the Ziegler Debacle [Re: Chris Anderson]
bodyguard8367 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: ""
""

Edited by bodyguard8367 (02/26/14 09:58 PM)

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.