Newest Members
mossTI, E35, 1975, Lucy, StacyR
12337 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12337 Members
74 Forums
63422 Topics
443383 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#429722 - 04/01/13 12:18 PM The perks of being a wallflower
ig3 Offline

I saw this movie "The perks of being a wallflower," and thought to ask if others have watched it too. It relates to the life of a teenager, I won't say more, but it has to do with the topic of CSA too.

#429723 - 04/01/13 12:22 PM Re: The perks of being a wallflower [Re: ig3]
nltsaved Offline

Loc: Kc,Mo
I thought the movie was incredible
you are not alone never were
WRITTEN FORM
http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=339159#Post339159
Why i hate Religion but love Jesus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IAhDGYlpqY

#429725 - 04/01/13 12:29 PM Re: The perks of being a wallflower [Re: ig3]
DavoSwim Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Iowa, USA
I haven't seen the movie, but I read the book. It was a very interesting set of circumstances that lead me to reading the book. I saw it in an airport bookstore, and despite not knowing a thing about it, not even knowing it had been made into a movie, it piqued my interest. I had to buy it and I did. When I read it, I could easily identify with the main character. He reminded me of Holden Caulfield, the protagonist in Catcher in the Rye. I'm not going to say that the main character reminded me of myself in my teen years, or that I wanted to be like him, but I could definitely relate to his life, his experiences, and his reactions to life. At the end, when the secret of his CSA came to light, I was very moved. I guess I could relate because I knew that could have easily been me. That book has been very influential on me and it has helped me understand my past better. It's a very powerful book and definitely worth reading.

DavO

#429744 - 04/01/13 03:19 PM Re: The perks of being a wallflower [Re: ig3]
DRA Offline

ig3,

I watched the movie on a lark; it looked interesting and I enjoy Emma Watson's acting. I had no idea it was about CSA.

Having watched the movie, I had to read the book and did so within 24 hours. That was around January 4th or 5th. By January 20th, I'd realized that I needed to deal with my CSA. The Perks of Being a Wallflower has been a deep source of inspiration and realization, helping me to open up about my past and examine it more honestly.

Regards,

DRA
Strength in power is a false victory rooted in vapid grandiosity. Strength in character and integrity is the freedom to act righteously irrespective of the surrounding pressure. True power is the presence of mind to live with character and integrity.

#429868 - 04/02/13 08:24 PM Re: The perks of being a wallflower [Re: ig3]
ig3 Offline

I watched the movie on a plane, I just generally like stories about coming of age, kind of like Glee with "awkward" characters, because I was one too. Still am.

Then the movie showed a couple of gay characters, and I was interested in that too.

Then the CSA and I could totally relate, even though my abuse was different. It helped explained the wallflower personality as something probably beyond standard shyness, and the mental-health issues, which I have also had.

I liked the ending too, I won't say more. I recommend it.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.