Newest Members
dspwilson, Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated
12384 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
4gettingthepast4 (32), DougL (53), Jeff38 (48), lfp (27), pats121 (75), Texan (57), zer0sleep (35)
Who's Online
3 registered (Sojourn Survivor, Rich1967, 1 invisible), 25 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12384 Members
74 Forums
63653 Topics
444536 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#429492 - 03/29/13 03:57 PM New X-Men character has DID
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

OK, comic book nerds.

I stumbled across this review of the new X-Men series because I was interested that its main character is the son of Charles Xavier, aka Professor X.

I knew that as Professor X's son, David Haller, aka Legion, would have some mental mutant powers, but was dumbfounded when I read his powers manifested themselves through "acute dissociative identity disorder."

I read X-Men obsessively as a teenager, precisely because the metaphor of mutants in a normal world fit with my experience as a young survivor. But the overt connections to that metaphor back then was other minority groups like Jews (Magneto) and gays, obviously. Now, here's a character that speaks to us.

I haven't been to a comic book store in ages. Looks like I'm going soon.

Cant

link:
http://www.avclub.com/articles/xmen-legacy-explores-the-strange-inner-struggle-of,95826

#429499 - 03/29/13 05:40 PM Re: New X-Men character has DID [Re: cant_remember]
pufferfish Online   embarrased
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Interesting.

What about the guy who turns into a mean green giant?

Thank you for this.

Puffer

#429501 - 03/29/13 05:49 PM Re: New X-Men character has DID [Re: cant_remember]
Tarobuns108 Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
As a total X-Men geek, I can confirm for you that Legion is actually not that new. His first appearance was in the mid-80s. He's been written with a variety of mental disorders besides dissociative identity disorder. What he has is completely dependent on the writer who is handling the story, from schizophrenia, dissociative identity disorder, to a form of autism, and a mix of all the aforementioned. Which probably showcases the serious problem of writers writing about mental disorders and developmental disorder that they don't fully understand.

Legion is certainly one of the more interesting characters in the series. He was born from the most powerful telepath on Earth, so one could only expect him to have extreme powers of his own.

Let's hope these writers will handle Legion and his disorders with the respect and realism people who suffer from them deserve.

Best,
Ren
"Don't be ashamed to need help. Like a soldier storming a wall, you have a mission to accomplish. And if you've been wounded and you need a comrade to pull you up? So what?" Meditations of Marcus Aurelius, Book 7:7

#429505 - 03/29/13 07:49 PM Re: New X-Men character has DID [Re: cant_remember]
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks, Ren.

And welcome to MS.

Cant

#429526 - 03/29/13 11:58 PM Re: New X-Men character has DID [Re: cant_remember]
Jacob S Offline
MaleSurvivor

We'll see. Nobody in the media ever gets DID right.
all the people he can trust.
Like the one who stands behind him
cheering him on
Estatic when he stands defiant,
wild with abandon when he's gone

just stay alive.
do whatever you need to.
you are worth it.

#429646 - 03/31/13 06:52 PM Re: New X-Men character has DID [Re: cant_remember]
SoccerStar Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
Didn't Legion cause the Age of Apocalypse? Kind of not a good role model for identifying with people with emotional disorders. It's like how Carnage was a child abuse / neglect survivor - not exactly good press.

Though as recently discussed here, Peter Parker was confirmed as a CSA survivor too, and to that you can add Karma from New Mutants....

"Don't think it hasn't been a little slice of heaven just because it hasn't!" --Bugs Bunny

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.