Newest Members
BusterJones, Desperateforhelp, aniceguy, Green_Lantern, Safe11ride
12121 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
corvairman1 (43), marianne (44), son (35), speedy (31)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 48 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12121 Members
73 Forums
62521 Topics
438142 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#429415 - 03/28/13 08:54 PM if u could live anywhere in the lwr 48?
cosmos Offline

Loc: Puget Sound
Good day all!

If you could live anywhere in the lwr 48 as long as it was near a major airport where would you live and why?

tia

Cee

T. Paine

#429427 - 03/28/13 11:07 PM Re: if u could live anywhere in the lwr 48? [Re: cosmos]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The ATL
Originally Posted By: cosmos
Good day all!

If you could live anywhere in the lwr 48 as long as it was near a major airport where would you live and why?

tia

Cee

Tough to answer that without asking you what you mean, necessarily. Do you mean live the life you currently live but somewhere else in the country, or do you mean if money was not an object? You know, like if you won the lottery and could go anywhere and live anywhere you wanted to, including in super nice and expensive places? Sorry, not trying to derail your thread, it's just that's the kind of hypothetical question it's hard to answer without knowing what the hypothetical criteria are.

#429432 - 03/28/13 11:36 PM Re: if u could live anywhere in the lwr 48? [Re: cosmos]
cosmos Offline

It sucks but money is very relevant here, currently live 2hrs from Logan an hour from MHT, in beautiful Grafton county NH, renting 2K˛/ft for $850/month which I know is outrageously low so figure 2K a month rent and within 2 hours to a major airport, Pittsburgh doesn’t count, neither does Boston, something like NYC or Chicago in terms of airport though, you know ability to ketch a non-stop anywhere from there.

Cee

T. Paine

#429439 - 03/29/13 01:52 AM Re: if u could live anywhere in the lwr 48? [Re: cosmos]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The ATL

Ok, that makes sense. I didn't know if you were asking for personal reasons or if it was a hypothetical question just for fun.

Hartsfield-Jackson here in Atlanta is the busiest airport in the world. Lifestyle wise, Atlanta is cool and everything but it isn't the most charming or personality-filled city in the US either. Metro Atlanta is kind of an ultra-corporate sprawling mass of five and a half million people with snarled traffic, almost as many strip malls as there are city blocks, and a seemingly interminable ramble of densely packed subdivisions. Going on for miles and miles, exits and exits, county after county until your are 45 minutes out of downtown and are finally not in the metro area anymore. All that, sprinkled with a rich dose if Civil War history, just for fun. If that sounds awesome to you, Atlanta is your place!

Oh yeah, and the cost of living here is a little less than in NYC, CHI or LA. Not a lot less, but less. Also if, um, "alternative lifestyles" are your thing, Midtown Atlanta is one of the best and most progressive scenes in the country. cool

By the way, when I was a kid and lived up north, (in CT), my family used to vacation at my grandfathers condo in Lake Sunapee, NH. Beautiful country up there. Peace,

Ken

#429447 - 03/29/13 07:45 AM Re: if u could live anywhere in the lwr 48? [Re: cosmos]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
I'm a native of GA, but also have deep family roots in NC as well. I've lived on acreage out in the sticks, and Intown ATL. Both have their charms.

Ken pretty much described ATL. The suburbs could be found anywhere. They are pretty much standard issue. Like other big Sunbelt cities, Atlanta came of age after the automobile. Cars rule..and the burbs spread far and wide. As you go out, you can see the layers of development...50s---60s----70s----80s----and so on.

Intown ATL has seen new investment since the 70s----Midtown, VA Highlands, Candler Park Oakhurst, Inman Park... I'm partial to Candler Park and Lake Claire with the old 20s bungalows. While many suburban houses lost value during the crash, Intown is still $$. Politically, I'm more in line with Intown...and not so Tea Party-ish as say Cobb County. Bob Barr anyone?

All that said, Atlanta casts a long shadow. There are other cities in its sphere of influence that are pretty interesting. 100 miles up I-75 is Chattanooga, TN---a mid-sized city-maybe a metro of half a milllion? with Civil War and Native history plus a cool riverfront and art district. Macon to the south isn't nearly as big or bustling as Chattanooga, but it has some Intersting history. Athens, GA is the quintessential college town and is more progressive than Macon. Asheville, NC and Greenville, SC are farther out, but worthy. Asheville is in the mountains and has a laid back neo hippy vibe. Highlands, NC is full of second homes, expensive shops and the $ to make it happen. Hartsfield is so massive and busy, it casts a REALLY long shadow. Living in other cities 100-300 miles away generally means your connecting flight is ATL. Macon and Chattanoga flights to ATL are a whopping 18 minutes in the air. A lot of those folks just drive to ATL and cut out a couple of connecting flights.

That said, I like the coast. Not right on the coast, but on the marshes behind the barrier islands. So, after rambling on and on, I'd pick Wilmington, NC...maybe nearby Sunset Beach, NC or Bald Head Island. I'd want access to tidal waters so I could put a sloop in for a sail, I'd also want flat water for canoeing. The climate is mild, but you still get four seasons, palmettos and moss in the trees. I don't do well in the cold, so living north of say Raleigh, NC or Nashville is a no-go for me in the East. I'd consider Portland, but I effin hate the rain and clouds.

Will

My Story: Cruel Summer

#429490 - 03/29/13 03:18 PM Re: if u could live anywhere in the lwr 48? [Re: cosmos]
bodyguard8367 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: ""
""

Edited by bodyguard8367 (02/26/14 09:58 PM)

#429491 - 03/29/13 03:55 PM Re: if u could live anywhere in the lwr 48? [Re: bodyguard8367]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
I hear you on the open mind/closed mind factor.

Will

My Story: Cruel Summer

#429500 - 03/29/13 05:42 PM Re: if u could live anywhere in the lwr 48? [Re: Suwanee]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I love the Rocky Mountain area. I'm really from Colorado.

Puffer

#430543 - 04/08/13 05:14 PM Re: if u could live anywhere in the lwr 48? [Re: cosmos]
cosmos Offline

It’s so crazy how things change funny because I received 2 excellent tourism bureau quality endorsements for I city I grew up in, left in ’88, “Hotlanta” and then just Denver and the NW is kool, luv ya guys! Really do just thought I’d get more love for Chicago or Miami or San Francisco heck even LA.
thanx

Cee

T. Paine

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.