Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cards (33), korbin2003 (39), Rosemary (53), Zebra (47)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 33 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63213 Topics
442016 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#429409 - 03/28/13 07:26 PM Lame. Blown down.
Magellan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
I'm really confused and feeling hurt.

My supervisor emailed me this morning requesting a sit down meeting wither, and two of my other superiors (people that I work with). This scared the hell out of me because the last time this happened, it was a discussion about how I was behaving with people around me (I work in customer service).

Since that meeting, I have taken communication classes (I'm severely hearing impaired), and working much closer with my supervisor in dealing with difficult clientelle with good success.

I've also made some significant progress in developing better relationships with the people I work with and for, and have been very surprised at the success and progress I've made.

So in my response to her email this morning, I let her know that I was worried about this meeting request, that I had been working very hard to make significant changes, and was frankly proud of the accomplishments I've done.

It turns out that one of the people I work with, who is intimately familiar with my struggle to be better at providing customer service was the person requesting the meeting. She had apparently received some complaints from a couple of people. Rather than talk to me about it, she has drug in my supervisor, and the manager of the entire organization to sit down with me.

This feels unfair. They know how hard I am working. I've been nothing but open, honest, and humble to admit my faults, and to work on my own shortcomings. I feel like I'm about to be ganged up on by three people who want to talk to me about this.

Why couldn't the person who requested the meeting simply take me aside and have a short conversation to clear things up rather than blowing it into a whole meeting involving 2 other people?

I feel violated here.

Loving Kindness Meditation will dramatically improve your spirits; give it a try for just 3 days: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz7cpV7ERsM

#429410 - 03/28/13 07:47 PM Re: Lame. Blown down. [Re: Magellan]
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

If things get weird at the meeting, and you think they are trying to fire you or demote you, make very clear to them that the Americans with Disabilities Act requires an employer to provide "reasonable accommodation" to employees with disabilities, such as your hearing impairment.

The last thing any employer or HR department wants to deal with is an ADA complaint. The law is on your side. Stand strong, don't let them trigger you.

Cant

#429416 - 03/28/13 08:56 PM Re: Lame. Blown down. [Re: Magellan]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: back in the USA
Hey, D,

You are right - that is unfair and wrong - and also cowardly - for someone to go over your head and complain to the higher-ups to do something that she doesn't have the integrity to deal with personally. i have recently gone through something similar - and it's not over yet. i know it is hard to not get defensive and feel triggered and abused. i hope you'll be able to show the same humility and strength that you've shown here. be prepared to be - (or at least act) - as my T says - calm and assertive.

remember there may be 3 of them - but there are 11,000 of us - and we're on your side!

Lee
and though badly hurt at times, we are not destroyed.
- Paul, II Cor 4:8-9

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.