Newest Members
Francis Xavier, JLB, MrsC, wraphd, blufish
12438 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
carperson (26), Daryoush (59), Gary31 (48), Overburdened78 (33), scaredcrappie (29), ThomasO (63), Wornoutsoul (38), WRR (34), zakwilde005 (45)
Who's Online
5 registered (1in6, Scott1962, traveler, 2 invisible), 13 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12438 Members
74 Forums
63852 Topics
445853 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#429382 - 03/28/13 11:18 AM Changing victim perspective
EdfromNYC Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York City
I have known for a while that I was a victim. However, I still saw things through the eyes of a victim even though my abuse happened over 30 years ago. For all intents and purposes, I still lived as though what had happened could still happen today. I still saw/see myself as a boy and not a full grown man. (There was recently a thread about other men on here seeing their own manly bodies and being disconcerted by the disconnect between their child-mind and masculine bodies).

I am moving from KNOWING I was a victim to ACCEPTING that I WAS a victim but that I am not anymore. I am learning that it is my job to take care of myself now. It is my responsibility, now, even though those in my childhood did not only not take care of me but abused me without excuse. The move from knowledge to acceptance means facing all of the internal messages that I got from abuse and neglect from many sources. I didn't know I had any feelings at the time - I just shut off my feelings and learned to live and adjust to what was going on. I created an inner world to cope and survive.

The problem is I don't have to live based on that self-created world but I still do. I still protect myself from hurt. I think I still want to believe that the world will hurt me so I don't have to face the extreme hurt and neglect that I felt incredibly deeply as a child. I was an emotional kid, very sensitive and I was rejected and humiliated by my father, brother, peers and my mother made me fit her needs and then I was abused by grown males. I was almost ready made for abusers.

I have people I am developing relationships with and that is why I can begin to face the emotions but I still have a hard time facing many lost years, screwed up sexuality, addiction, isolation, lack of emotional growth, no close friends, lack of a healthy social life, lack of a healthy intimate relationship with sex in it. Those are major areas of life that have been affected and with my change in perspective, I can now admit that my life has been affected more than I knew. I feel like I am coming out of a coma.

Edited by EdfromNYC (03/28/13 12:13 PM)

#429384 - 03/28/13 12:00 PM Re: Changing victim perspective [Re: EdfromNYC]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Ed

I am sorry it seems you have endured much in life--from sexual abuse to what happened in your home--rejection and humiliation by your family and a mother who made you fit her needs. It must be hard to have a mother make you fit her needs--were they emotional needs? Then to be abused by grown men. You are a victim but also a survivor--you have endured and survived all these years. Now it is time for you to take charge and begin to enjoy life. You have helped many here and now we are here for you. Yes, the CSA affects us for a lifetime, but once we learn and accept the abuse we can heal and begin to control the past instead of it controlling us. I am working on it and it takes time and being able to pick myself up when I fall back emotionally.

Keep going, you are on the right path.

Kevin

#429402 - 03/28/13 06:41 PM Re: Changing victim perspective [Re: EdfromNYC]
bodyguard8367 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: ""
""

Edited by bodyguard8367 (02/26/14 09:54 PM)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.