Newest Members
journey4two, VASurvivor, jayceemac, rwolf, FindingNemo
12328 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cja (49), crackerjack (55), nursemanda25 (33)
Who's Online
2 registered (motmcd, 1 invisible), 22 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12328 Members
74 Forums
63403 Topics
443287 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#429154 - 03/26/13 08:25 AM To This Day... (Possible Triggers)
crazy gecko Offline

I stumbled across this poem/video on bullying recently. Although bullying was really the least of my problems, I found myself identifying with a lot of this - all the effects he describes are pretty much what I experienced because of the abuse. To be honest, it was quite triggering - had me in tears for about an hour after I first listened to it.

Anyway, because I think it is really good and because I love the positivity at the end, I want to share it here.

Lyrics here

Because -
Quote:
we are graduating members from the class of
fuck off we made it
not the faded echoes of voices crying out
You can play
-- Def Leppard

My Story, Part 2

My blog

#429182 - 03/26/13 12:54 PM Re: To This Day... (Possible Triggers) [Re: crazy gecko]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
Thanks CG.

I saw the TED Talk version a little while ago. I wasn't bullied and don't think I bullied others---I hope I didn't because it is a potentially soul-crushing thing to do. It may not necessarily be sexual in nature, but it is abuse.

I know of a class of teenagers held in rapt attention while watching this...

Will

-Signs and traces left in stone
Ruins of a past unknown-

#429238 - 03/26/13 10:47 PM Re: To This Day... (Possible Triggers) [Re: Suwanee]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The ATL
Thanks for posting this CG! I hadn't seen it before but I can relate to a lot of what is expressed here on the deepest of levels. In another thread about bullying, I posted that the scars years of being relentlessly bullied left on me may not be as deep as the scars left by the sexual trauma I experienced but that they are just as permanent. They are. Just as permanent and just as real.

In my adulthood, I have grown to wear labels like "dork" and "freak" like a badge of honor. In a way, it's my way of giving a big middle finger to the bullies who first labeled me those things and to society at large. If I embrace those labels, they can't hurt me anymore. It's my way of say "You may all laugh at me because I'm different but I laugh at you because you're all the same!" Normal people are boring anydamnway. Thanks again for posting this. Take care. Peace,

Ken

PS. The quote "You may all laugh at me because I'm different but I laugh at you because you're all the same!" is originally a John Davis quote. What I posted is not the exact quote but it's close. Davis (the lead singer of Korn) is himself a survivor of CSA and bullying.

Edited by BraveFalcon (03/26/13 10:57 PM)

#434097 - 05/09/13 02:04 AM Re: To This Day... (Possible Triggers) [Re: crazy gecko]
ThisMan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: upper south
CG-

when you shared this some weeks ago, I viewed several times, but I didn't let you know how it affected me. It seems to have grabbed a piece of my history and then presented it in animation. It triggered, like big time. This time, it still triggered, but I didn't cry. I did focus at the end and this statement stood out for me.

..."less to do with pain, and more to do with beauty".

As soon as I deal with a bit of this tiresome pain in a real way, I'm going back to the beauty. thanks for pulling this into the forum. Its good stuff.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.