Newest Members
Francis Xavier, JLB, MrsC, wraphd, blufish
12438 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
carperson (26), Daryoush (59), Gary31 (48), Overburdened78 (33), scaredcrappie (29), ThomasO (63), Wornoutsoul (38), WRR (34), zakwilde005 (45)
Who's Online
5 registered (finallyhere, Bardo, 3 invisible), 14 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12438 Members
74 Forums
63852 Topics
445854 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#429227 - 03/26/13 09:28 PM forgetting to breathe
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
does anyone else do this?

i will suddenly feel light-headed and my vision starts to get spotty or dark and i realize that i am holding my breath. sometimes i am almost on the brink of passing out. i don't know how long it has been going on but i have to consciously remind myself to start breathing again. then i become aware that my heart is racing and i am dizzy and i have to intentionally regulate my breathing and try to make it slow and deep and calm myself down. i seems to happen when i am struggling with a memory or feeling - sometimes one i am aware of and sometimes something i'm not consciously thinking of - or maybe trying not to think of.

anyone have suggestions on how to remember to keep breathing before it get that far? crazy

Lee
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#429231 - 03/26/13 09:39 PM Re: forgetting to breathe [Re: traveler]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The ATL

Yes and no for me. This never happens to me just randomly but if and when I'm talking about something that makes me emotional, particularly when I'm talking about the types of issues we discuss here, I can forget to take a breath and have to pause for a minute to breath. Doesn't happen to me very often but it has. Back when I was in therapy it used to happen at times when I was talking to my therapist. Peace,

Ken

#429274 - 03/27/13 09:43 AM Re: forgetting to breathe [Re: traveler]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
Having gone through this myself, Lee, I don't know I have any specific suggestion that would help beyond the self-awareness you describe. Actually, I haven't thought about the issue in ages.

You're gonna laff, but smoking helps as a kick starter. Yes, I'm serious!

The other one I do - this sounds even more ridiculous - is to sometimes hang from the door frame for a nice, long stretch of a minute or so. Aside from getting me off my ass for a minute, it's become habit as a tension reliever...and the breathing comes along for the ride.

(I probably wouldn't share this if it was anyone but you, dear brother)

#429284 - 03/27/13 10:19 AM Re: forgetting to breathe [Re: traveler]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: South-East Europe
Hey Lee,
stress and anxiety can make us stiff and holding our breath.
Any relaxing techniques could be helpful I'm sure.
Here is link for couple advices from Mayo Clinic:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/relaxation-technique/SR00007

I guess when breathing stops it is already late so it would be good to try to relax more on daily basis in try to avoid it.

Originally Posted By: Lancer
The other one I do - this sounds even more ridiculous - is to sometimes hang from the door frame for a nice, long stretch of a minute or so. Aside from getting me off my ass for a minute, it's become habit as a tension reliever...and the breathing comes along for the ride.

(I probably wouldn't share this if it was anyone but you, dear brother)

Hey Lancer you made me laughing with your relaxing technique. Many times I'm doing something similar and there is nothing ridiculous in it wink
I outstretch my arms to lean against the door frame and than let my body to hang and press with full weight to front. It gives me god feeling and I like it, don't know when and why I started doing it, lol.

Pero

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.