Newest Members
ShinTensei, jaklumen, Bennett, 0128, jeremywickers
12505 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Drea (31), gpdno (47), serb guy (49), Thomas8221 (60), UncleClover (43)
Who's Online
6 registered (inner_prophet, BuffaloCO, Daryl X., JW1230, 2 invisible), 25 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12505 Members
74 Forums
64200 Topics
448015 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#429146 - 03/26/13 07:05 AM Bad Night
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
If nothing else, I've usually been able to sleep at night.

Not last night.

For the first time in a long, long time I dreamed about "it."
I woke up at 2am---heart pounding, out of breath and terrified. Sleep was impossible afterward.

Everything else crept into my mind:

Was the howling wind going to put the huge oak tree on our house?
Work.
The Labrador pacing the living room floor, making the floor creak at that one spot.
Will my son's baseball practice be cancelled?
My wife's car needs tires ALREADY.
Should I wake her up to talk---or should I let her sleep?
Am I still being abused by this guy? I'm still having nightmares about it. I'm still talking about it...
You get the idea.

Will

-Signs and traces left in stone
Ruins of a past unknown-

#429147 - 03/26/13 07:30 AM Re: Bad Night [Re: Suwanee]
Farmer Boy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Australia
Will

I am sorry about last night. That really sucks.

You have talked about tackling the fear aspect of the abuse and it sounds like you have awoken that monster afresh. Last night was you coming face to face with that fear. I think these types of dreams are inevitable when you finally allow yourself to accept the fear you experienced as a child.

You have pushed these feelings down for 25 years and now they need your attention. Now is the time to deal with them.

I know this doesn't make it any easier but you are not alone in this. Many of us have had these night terrors. Some more than others. It may be an isolated occurance or it may happen again.

However, I have confidence that you will overcome this like everything else in your recovery so far.

Lee

#429148 - 03/26/13 07:51 AM Re: Bad Night [Re: Suwanee]
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

Will,

I don't have anything to say, other than I'm awake too and I'm your brother.

I'm sorry you had a bad night.

Cant

#429149 - 03/26/13 07:54 AM Re: Bad Night [Re: Suwanee]
Chase Eric Offline
MaleSurvivor

You are not alone, but I think you know that. Still, maybe it helps to hear it again from friends. You are definitely not alone, Will.

Every now and then I also dream about "it", although not always in a pure playback but interwoven with other stuff my mind vacuums up during the day. I still haven't figured out the formula of what the mind decides to throw at us while we are asleep. I still wonder if there is an ulterior purpose to our subconscious thoughts - some cosmic wisdom to it all.

Click my pic to see why I'm here

#429150 - 03/26/13 07:57 AM Re: Bad Night [Re: Suwanee]
SoccerStar Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
"Am I still being abused by this guy?"

No. But ablating burned skin or correctively re-breaking a badly broken arm are likewise incredibly painful, however necessary for progress they may be.

((((((Will)))))

"Don't think it hasn't been a little slice of Heaven just because it hasn't!" --Bugs Bunny

#429152 - 03/26/13 08:14 AM Re: Bad Night [Re: Suwanee]
crazy gecko Offline

Will,

I so sorry... I was there a while back, I know how draining it is. I think Farmer Boy said it best - I completely agree with his assessment, and it also mirrors my experience. When you decide to face the emotions you have been burying all these years, they will inevitably make their presence known.

Thinking of you...
You can play
-- Def Leppard

My Story, Part 2

My blog

#429155 - 03/26/13 08:38 AM Re: Bad Night [Re: Suwanee]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Will

I am sorry. Like Lee said you need to face the past and unfortunately nightmares and flashbacks come with the territory. It is great you wrote about it, getting the emotions and fear out. It takes time, you had a period of respite from the memories but somehow they find their way back. It is important you face, talk here, support groups, therapy or wherever you feel safe. These are unprocessed emotions that you buried, like most of us here did.

Stay strong and heal well.

Kevin

#429160 - 03/26/13 09:24 AM Re: Bad Night [Re: Suwanee]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Thanks guys. It's always nice to have your support.

Will

Ruins of a past unknown-

#429186 - 03/26/13 01:19 PM Re: Bad Night [Re: Suwanee]
DRA Offline

Will,

I'm sorry to hear that you had such a rough night. There's a yoga posture, child's pose, that can be very helpful if you're trying to calm down and recenter yourself. Here's a picture of it:

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/logos/...t--balasana.jpg

I've found it amazingly helpful and have used it to help bread panic attacks.

I know that you'll come out of this on the other side.

-DRA
Strength in power is a false victory rooted in vapid grandiosity. Strength in character and integrity is the freedom to act righteously irrespective of the surrounding pressure. True power is the presence of mind to live with character and integrity.

#429187 - 03/26/13 01:27 PM Re: Bad Night [Re: Suwanee]
SoccerStar Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
^I found the Child's Pose GIVES me panic attacks. I recently was forced into some crackbrained "corporate retreat" featuring mandatory staff yoga and they were all like having that be your default position and everyone sees you like that....

It made me feel alarmingly vulnerable and embarrassed and, well, like I was presenting myself to get fucked. The name of the "position" is especially unfortunate.

Matt

"Don't think it hasn't been a little slice of Heaven just because it hasn't!" --Bugs Bunny

#429206 - 03/26/13 04:24 PM Re: Bad Night [Re: SoccerStar]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Matt,

I'm admittedly not yoga savvy, so I googled it.

Yeah...I see what you mean.

Will

Ruins of a past unknown-

#429209 - 03/26/13 04:40 PM Re: Bad Night [Re: Suwanee]
Zug Offline

Loc: Progress
Will, it is scary just reading your post. Ive been there, very recently. I dont think its over. I have a hard time handling it, scares me; the fact that I 'forgot' and the actual events. Walking through the fire... Im right there with you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.